Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2006, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 15,730 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently in my 16th year of teaching K-6th Grade General and Vocal Music in a public school district in Ohio. There is a very good possibility that I will be relocating to the Louisville area after this upcoming school year. I have been doing some online research of the local school districts. Can you give me some pointers on relocation, certification requirements, where to live, where to teach? I'm not sure if all of the schools down there offer Music Education in the elementary. I appreciate any help as this would be a MAJOR life change for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM

108 posts, read 765,088 times
Quote:
Can you give me some pointers on...certification requirements,
If you were trained out of state, you need to do the following:

Out-of-state applicants must have completed a state approved teacher preparation program at a regionally accredited educator preparation institution or a state-approved alternative training program. In addition, candidates must comply with the state ancillary requirements such as GPA, testing and internship.

Out-of-state applicants who hold a valid certificate and have completed two years of teaching in the subject area and grade level on their certificate will be waived of the current testing requirements.

All out-of-state applicants MUST:

Request and complete a TC-1 application.

Forward this application to your college for the completion of Section IV on page 5 of the TC-1 application.

Submit a certified check or money order in the amount of $50.00 made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer

Passing Praxis II Specialty Area test scores for EACH area of certification (if less than two years of appropriate full-time teaching experience) and the Principles of Learning and Teaching test score for appropriate grade range
Have Section II completed by your superintendent, if you have out-of-state teaching experience.

Have OFFICIAL transcripts of all college and graduate coursework sent to:
Division of Certification
Education Professional Standards Board
100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601

Reciprocity is a term often used when educators need to transfer their certification from one state to another. This does not mean, however, that a state with “reciprocity” will automatically grant the same certification as was held in another state, since each state has its own special requirements. Kentucky is part of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement; therefore, the state accepts recommendations from teacher preparation programs from state-accredited colleges and universities in many states. Cases are evaluated on an individual basis. In general, Kentucky does not recognize certificates which have been granted by testing only.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Can you give me some pointers on...where to live
Well that depends on a lot of different things (namely, what price for housing, how far away you want to live from work, commute time, new or older home, crime levels, near or far from different things, close to downtown or do you like suburbs). Post back some more details on this and I am sure we can find you some neighborhoods or cities (I can explain this...it is complicated) that would work for you.

Quote:
Can you give me some pointers on...where to teach
Depends a lot on the type of school you want to teach at. Do you like working with kids that are well-behaved and you know they will succeed? Or do you find it rewarding to help set troubled kids on the right path? Do you want year-round schools or traditional quarter system? Would you like a magnet school or one that offers advanced classes?

Quote:
I appreciate any help as this would be a MAJOR life change for me
BTW, it isn't a big deal....after all, that is why we are here. I am assuming that you are either coming from a small district or a small sized city (you said it would be a major life change). Really, Louisville is not a very intimidating city at all. It is generally pretty easy to navigate, has short commute times, relatively low crime (overall it is very low...most crimes occur in certain parts of the city), and has a very friendly attitude towards newcomers.

Last edited by Marka; 07-24-2006 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 PM

Cool More Info For You

Thanks a lot for ALL of the feedback

I'm looking at housing that is @ $200,000 and below. I would prefer a suburb and a lot that is around 3 acres or so...trees...a pond.... I would need to be located within a 30-or-so minute drive from the airport. I am not picky about old or new housing but I do prefer a house with some character.

I currently teach in one of the largest districts in Ohio. However, it is nowhere close to the size of JCPS. But, as I have read, that district is divided into clusters so I think it wouldn't feel so big. The size of the district is actually not a concern of mine.

I have enjoyed teaching inner city children for 16 years and I think I would like to continue. However, children are children and I can teach them all. As they say, "It's all good!" I enjoy teaching general music, but my main love is directing choirs. I currently have two choirs consisting of Pre-K to 3rd (75 kids) and 4th-6th (25 kids). The younger choir is especially rewarding to me. Although I am not Montessori trained, I did teach n a Montessori school for 14 years as the General/Vocal teacher. I really enjoy young kids and am specifically interested in working with Primary-aged students.

My district is on a modified year-round schedule. School starts for the kids in early August. Then, we get two week breaks in the fall, at Christmas and around Easter time. The summer break ends up being about 8 weeks. I do like this schedule and wouldn't mind finding a school with a similar setup.

I say that this is a "major" life change because I have been here for 16 years and have developed great friendships and connections. I do not relish the idea of starting over again. I would hate to have to leave but may have to make the decision to do so based on a job opportunity for my other half.

In addion to all of this, I am an entertainer and am currently booked around this area. I get the feeling that Louisville will offer me much more in terms of singing opportunities. That is a definite plus. In fact, if the opportunity presented itself to me, I would definitely hang up the teaching cap to perform for a living! Of course, I'd have to direct a children's choir or two on the side

Old 07-25-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at housing that is @ $200,000 and below. I would prefer a suburb and a lot that is around 3 acres or so...trees...a pond.... I would need to be located within a 30-or-so minute drive from the airport. I am not picky about old or new housing but I do prefer a house with some character.
Let's get straight to the meat and bones part. First thing, West end is out (anything west of I-65 and north of I-264). That is the rough side of Louisville and I'd advise you to steer clear of it. The majority of violet crime/murders/thefts occur in this section of the city. Your best areas are going to be South/East sides of the city or maybe even over in Indiana (if you are not absolutely committed to teaching in JCPS or if you don't mind the commute).

South Side

Sheperdsville - This city is about 20 minutes due south of Louisville's airport and is located in Bullit County (using interstates). While you are not in Louisville-Jefferson County, you are still close to the city and in (what I am told) is a very nice/smaller sized town. You recieved the benefits of a smaller community (less crime, bigger lots, lower prices on land/housing) while still having access to a large cities and its amenities. This is one reason why I love Louisville (i.e. you can live outside it and be in a rural area, yet be within the city in 10-20 minutes). While I personally enjoy living in the city, I will admit that I do like Bullit county. Also, you may want to try Bullit County School System (they may have an opening for you if JCPS does not).

Mount Washington - Also in Bullit county. About 26 minutes out from airport (using interstates) However, it is a gorgeous area and has a lot of benefits of a small town (small crime, less pollution, etc). Very nice community and similar to Shepardsville.

Fern Creek - Nice section of Louisville. After the merger, it became a neighborhood of Louisville. May want to look more at this area since it is in the city (if you'd prefer to be in the city). About 18 minutes to the airport (using interstates). Only downside is your lot size will decrease as price increases (city economics for you).

South-East or Central

Jeffersontown - a city in Jefferson County, Kentucky. Population is around 26K. When the government of Jefferson County merged with the city of Louisville, Kentucky in 2003, its citizens became part of Louisville Metro, however, for Census purposes, it is not counted towards the population of Louisville. 20 minutes to the airport. Has some nicer homes and is literally butted up against Louisville. Also, has larger lot sizes than what you would find in the city.

Highlands - neighborhood in Louisville. Close to Bellarmine University. Some nicer homes in the area. It is 12 minutes from airport and you are much closer to downtown. Also close to Bardstown Rd (lot of bars/weird shops here). Try Wick's Pizza...they have the best in town. Very diverse neighborhood. Also has an what I call an "Urban Gem" (Cherokee park which is a 400-500 acre park in the heart of Louisville).

Old Louisville - directly south of Downtown, Old Louisville is the nation's second largest collection of Victorian style houses. Lots of apartments in this neighborhood (as it is right next to U of L and has a lot of students living there). Huge Arts festivel in October called St. James Court Art Show and has beautiful Central Park. Slightly higher crime rate due to close proximaty to West End. Next to U of L and Downtown. 10 minutes to airport and 5 to downtown. Small lots is a downside.

East End (longer commute)

Middletown - 20-25 minutes from airport. Some VERY nice communities (lake Forest) with very large sized homes. Has some nicer end private schools and is located on the east end of Louisville. This would be a typical, nice suburb style area.

Anchorage - 24 minutes from airport. Very nice area of Louisville with upper class housing (median income for a family was over 120K). Farther out but a nice area if you can afford it.

Indiana

Clarksville/Jeffersonville - directly across from Louisville in Indiana. Airport is probably 10-15 minutes down I-65 (depends on traffic...don't listen to the locals...traffic can be slow, but most don't understand what real traffic is like).. Has some nicer neighborhoods with bigger lots and property is usually cheaper on this side of the river.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I have enjoyed teaching inner city children for 16 years and I think I would like to continue. However, children are children and I can teach them all.
My advise to you would be to check out JCPS website and get some contact info. I am sure that some schools have the music type programs you are looking for or may be interested in hiring a new teacher. Best way to find out would be to contact them and see what is open.

Quote:
My district is on a modified year-round schedule. School starts for the kids in early August. Then, we get two week breaks in the fall, at Christmas and around Easter time. The summer break ends up being about 8 weeks. I do like this schedule and wouldn't mind finding a school with a similar setup.
Again, check out the JCPS website. Somewhere on there should be a list of schools and what they offer (teaching method, schedule set-up, etc).

Quote:
I say that this is a "major" life change because I have been here for 16 years and have developed great friendships and connections. I do not relish the idea of starting over again. I would hate to have to leave but may have to make the decision to do so based on a job opportunity for my other half.
It is understandable. I came from a town of 8K to Louisville (metro is 1.2 million). So it was quite a change for me as well. Louisville has a lot to offer though and I think you'll find most of the people here to be pretty friendly. And hey, even if you don't make a lot of good buddies, there is plenty to keep you occupied. Bats games (Reds Triple A affliate), Churchill downs, lot of places to eat, museums, college sports, ballet/orchestra/plays and theater, etc...While it doesn't have all of the things that a huge city might have (huge museums, professional teams, etc), I think that overall it is still a pretty nice place to live.

Quote:
I get the feeling that Louisville will offer me much more in terms of singing opportunities.
Yeah, you are right (though competition is a lot higher too). You may want to check out Stage One. Stage One is Louisville’s professional theatre for young audiences and is dedicated to bringing the finest quality live theatre to young people and families. The Actor Theatre of Louisville also does musicals and usually plays to sell out crowds. There is always restaraunts that hire singers/entertainers.

Music Theatre Louisville (MTL), the resident musical theatre company at Iroquois Amphitheater, is dedicated to producing, presenting, and developing quality, diverse and affordable entertainment. Now in its 25th season, MTL produces a summer season consisting of musicals selected from the traditional Broadway musical theatre canon. During the school year, the organization’s educational mission provides site based programming in area public and private schools. Additionally, three musical theatre camps are open to the public in the fall, winter and summer.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 AM

You may also want to check out the Louisville Chorus. Hope it helps and good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Thank you so much for all of the insight into the Louisville area. You've provided me with pleanty to check out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky