U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 9,757 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in northeastern PA (born & raised) but are getting tired of the lack of decent jobs and lousy roads (among other things). We heard about Hopkinsville on www.****.com and would like to hear from others about it and other towns in the surrounding area (Pembroke, Oak Grove, etc.) We currently live in Berwick, PA (chances are you've bought bows & ribbon that were made here- Berwick Offray) pop. approx. 11,000 and although the crime rate is relatively low, it has been getting worse over the past few years. We're looking for an area with low taxes, decent house prices, good paying jobs and local government that isn't a pain in the butt. The chamber of commerce has sent us info and given us plenty of reasons to consider it, but we don't want to overlook other nice towns, so please feel free to give your opinons. Thank you in advance and God Bless! Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM

4,817 posts, read 9,760,650 times
Hi

I grew up in Madisonville, KY just up the Pennryile Parkway from Hopkinsville. My parents and other relatives still live in Madisonville, so I have been back in the area since high school graduation in 1984. Now, I personally did not spend much time in Hopkinsville over the years other than on the highway to go back and forth to Nashville. But my impression of Hopkinsville is not all that great. It was a bit bigger than Madisonville, which as about 20,000, but overall I cannot recall anything there to draw people and no big employment makers. It was also a town with more crime and more diverse population that where I grew up. That being said, I have no idea what has changed over the years, so I dont want to turn you off. Certainly visit before any decision.

Western Kentucky overall is pretty rural, not known for high paying jobs, and is nice for outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, etc. It is more of an area for retirees to move to and young people to move out of. If I would go back, I personally would never choose Hopkinsville (or Hoptown as locals call it), I liked Paducah or Evansville much better. Even Clarksville, just south of Hoptown, had more businesses and restaurants being on I-24. I would check out Clarksville job-wise and maybe live in a small town nearby. I have never been through any of the small towns around there, so cannot answer you on how they are like. Fort Campbell is in the area, and much of the economy is driven by that...especially for areas between Hoptown and Clarksville.

Summers are very very humid and warm and winters are short with some snow but not much. Nashville TN is the major TV market for Hoptown.

I hope this helps a little..
Dan

Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,756 times
Default Hopkinsville, KY

I lived in Hopkinsville for 30 of my 31 years and, I'm sorry to say, it is not a town that I would recommend. There has been no real growth there for many years. It is about 15 minutes from Ft. Campbell, KY which is an army base and years ago the Mayor and such of Hopkinsville told the military personnel that they did not want them living in their town, which hurt Hopkinsville tremendously, economic wise. The only money to be made in Hoptown is at a factory, which I'm sure you know are long, hot hours. Hopkinsville is also starting to have a lot of gang problems, which is one reason we moved. We have two daughters in school and we had gotten to the point that we were scared to send them to school. We now live in Princeton, KY (population of about 7,000) which is about 30 miles from Hopkinsville and while it took some adjusting on my part, because Princeton is a small farming community, I have really come to love it. I work at an attorney's office here in Princeton and my husband still drives to Hopkinsville to work. We are not scared to send our children to school and are not near as worried about them falling in with the "wrong crowd". We are about 20 minutes from Land Between the Lakes, which is between Kentucky Lake and Barkley Lake. Beautiful country.

As for Pembroke, KY there is nothing there but a Minute Mart a few churches and lots of farmers. I have family there and it is only about a 10 minute to Hopkinsville. Job wise you will definitely have to drive to Hopkinsville or Clarksville, TN (which is about 20 minutes from Pembroke and 30 minutes from Hopkinsville). Oak Grove, KY is basically military becuase it is almost right on the military base. There are other small communities in the area you could check into: Cadiz, KY, Mayfield, KY, Henderson, KY, Bowling Green, KY, Murray KY, just to name a few of the decent size towns, not to large and not to small. Kentucky is a beautiful state and I don't know that I would want to live in any other state. I just suggest that you "shop around".

I hope I gave you some needed information.
Ryan
Princeton, KY

Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 32,244 times
Hello Karen! I have lived in Hopkinsville for the past 14 years and have liked it a lot. Wow - the last poster has made Hopkinsville sound horrible. I feel quite comfortable here. We live just outside the city limits and it has a warm cozy small town feel. My sons live inside the city and I used to as well.

I have seen a lot of growth here in the past few years especially. They are building a water park this Summer and we finally got a Starbucks. LOL The Super Wal-Mart is terrific and the people are genuinely friendly. In Hopkinsville you are 30 minutes from (Clarksville, TN) Sam's Club, Books-A-Million, Kohl's, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, and so much more. Nashville is only a little over an hour away, and of course there is a lot to do there.

If you don't mind the humidity, like to be around military folks, like Southern Baptist churches and want to be in a town of 33,000 - this may be the town for you!

We are actually moving to Wiisconsin in a year or two from here. Nothing wrong with the town, we just aren't from here and want to move where we will get snow snow and more snow.

If I can help you in any other way, let me know. Warmly, Robin

Old 08-16-2006, 03:45 PM

76 posts, read 316,382 times
Default Try Cadiz you'll like it

I lived in Hopkinsville for 34 years and then moved to beautiful Cadiz.
People travel at a slower pace in Cadiz. Less crime, less traffic a good place to live and raise a family. Also, with Barkley Lake it is a nice place to retire.
Very good fishing and hunting. Good road between Cadiz, Hopkinsvile and Clarksville to travel back & forth for shopping. My father lived in PA. I have serveral relatives still up there. Check out removed

Last edited by Marka; 08-18-2006 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 57,119 times
I received information regarding Hopkinsville from ****.com also. The town sounded almost too good to be true. I live in the Portland, OR metro area and we are wanting to relocate to a small town with decent housing prices. The average home price here is now $260,000. We also have a 13 year old daughter so we want to be careful about the schools. After doing some research on the Hopkinsville Chamber website I read a report that had been done by an outside consultant. It was in regard to city development. A couple of things jumped out of the report and caught my eye -- the poverty level and the drug problems. I received info from the Chamber today and after doing more research found this site. What you all have posted only confirms the uneasy feelings that I was having about Hopkinsville. We have enough of a meth problem, gangs, and crime here.

Thanks for the info on Clarksville. That was actually one of the alternatives I was looking at.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 48,088 times
This is not only for Pasunshine, but The rustic cottage also. I travel the country coast to coast (truck driver), The meth problem is nationwide! You are not going to get away from it! I do not live in near Hopkinsville (180 miles east). Look into the Lake Cumberland area! Somerset, Monticello, Jamestown & Russell Springs, Ky. Great places! But let me explain a couple of concerns the rustic cottage had. 1) poverty level. Yes, all most all of Ky is below the median poverty level, but where in the U.S.A. can you rent a 3 bedroom brick house for $500 or less per month! Cost of living is dirt cheap because there are NO good paying jobs! 2) Drug problems. As I said before meth is nationwide, our area,no gangs! Will not be accepted or put up with! 3) This is small town america, eveyone WILL know what you do & WILL talk about it! 4) humidity. Well, in the summer make sure your A/C works!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,750 times
I lived in Hopkinsville for a number of years then moved to another area in Kentucky. Hopkinsville has a lot of problems with crime and drugs. I left because of the low amount of living wage job opportunities and because you almost needed to be born here in order to get a decent chance of landing a job. The schools have problems and there are a lot of dropouts. There is also a lot of poverty in Hopkinsville. Shopping is a joke and anyone who really wants to shop will go to Clarksville Tennessee where they have nice places to shop. Takes are high and housing costs are expensive.

I am glad I moved out.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,747 times
I love living in Hopkinsville. I was saddened by the negative responses that were given to you. Hopkinsville is like most cities, we have some problems but overall it is a great place to live and raise a family. I think you get what you put into a community. If you get involved with something you are interested in you will love it here. We have had several young professionals move to the area as well as retirees.

We are close enough to Nashville (within 1 hour) to see Broadway show at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center and other things you might like to do in a big city. But there are plenty of things going on in Hopkinsville.

I hope you will consider moving here.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 11,178 times
I live in Cadiz. a sleepy Mayberry like town, where the people all know each other but are real friendly and helpful, not like the bigger cities. I am originally from the Chicago area; met my wife online. she's a hometown Cadiz girl so she knows everything about the place. Still, five years after moving here, I'm still adjusting to the quieter life. I have a college degree in journalism, but the writing jobs here (all small town newspapers, in Cadiz and Hopkinsville) don't pay very well, so I'm working in a factory in Hopkinsville. I would not want to live in Hoptown, as it's nicknamed, too congested, there are some nice areas, but the crime rate is just like the bigger cities. So, my recommendation is Cadiz, which has everything you need and if you cannot find it here, you can hop on interstate 24 for a 45 minute drive to Clarksville TN where you'll find a great assortment of places to eat and shop. We're also not far from Murray KY, home of Murray State University, a well respected college. If you'd like to know more, just ask... LH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or