Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times

Advertisements

I took this idea from the Colorado forum. I think this can make for a pretty interesting exchange of opinions and statistics (censusdata here does the best job of finding those. )

My personal opinions:

Best and brightest economic futures
(1) Northern Kentucky--I'm not just going to list individual towns, although I will specify Boone and northern Kenton Counties. Even with Delta's significant cutbacks in flight numbers out of CVG, CVG is still a major airport with significant room for more development. If Southwest and JetBlue come in in lieu of Delta's lost flights, the airport will become very busy again (even though I realize those two airlines don't fly beyond North America.) Since Delta has significantly lowered its rate, that means local flyers are trying out CVG instead of driving to other cities.

You have large industrial and commercial parks with very easy access to I-75, I-71, I-275, and the airport. DHL has its North American air hub at CVG. There is a very strong economic development group in the Tri-Ed, as well as the N. KY Chamber of Commerce, that appears to bolster new and existing businesses; NKY has a visibly strong business community.

Furthermore, Hamilton County's property taxes and regulations really, in effect, encourage residents to move across the river to Boone County where the property taxes are much cheaper. With more residents means more services and businesses that are needed. Although I'm glad to see that apparently Ohio has taken some steps to streamline its state corporate tax code and regulations; so as Cincinnati itself might truly begin to grow again, that also is only good for the economic health of the region.

Northern Kentucky is the economic future of Kentucky. Period. If we didn't have the tri-county area, it would just be rendered another Mississippi or Louisiana.

(2) Lexington is doing pretty well, relatively speaking, in retaining jobs in this economy. Toyota has taken a hit in sales, sure, but we haven't seen any significant layoffs (really only temp workers hired by staffing agencies contracting with Toyota.) The presence of universities in the area--UK, EKU and KSU--as well as nearby state government offices in Frankfort, and the fact that many Lexingtonians commute to jobs at said entities, help keep Lexington's unemployment rate below the national average. The presence of intellectual clout in the city makes it arguably the best city in the state (maybe second to NKY) for entrepreneurial endeavors and leadership.

(3) Bowling Green isn't doing too bad, either. As long as Corvettes are popular--and our taxpayer dollars subsidize those -- then GM will have a presence in Bowling Green (unless the COB becomes so expensive that they move the plant to Mexico or wherever.) It is a regional agricultural base and the conditions this year, so far, look to be climatically and soil-wise favorable for great crops and well-fed cattle. And, yes, WKU is a large and growing university.

(4) Elizabethtown/Radcliff/Vine Grove: BRAC is adding some 3,000 jobs to Fort Knox. That means many of those new 3,000 jobs will be filled by transplants from NoVA, including our friend Alanboy395. Hardin County is almost at 100,000 residents already; BRAC will spike that figure. Again, that means more businesses and services required to accommodate these new residents.

(5) London might be the healthiest very small town in Kentucky in terms of economic growth and condition. A large regional medical center has been built along I-75 and the unemployment rate in the London region is below the state average.

(6) Pick any of the college towns--Murray, Morehead, Frankfort, Richmond. They might not have a lot of job opportunities or creation outside of the universities (Frankfort obviously excepted b/c of gov't), but at least these universities' employees appear to be in stable positions.

Worst economic futures

(1) Ashland has underwent a significant population loss since the 1960s--almost 35%, I believe. The town looks old and depressing (but not really ghetto) in many parts, plus it's adjacent to Huntington, WV, which has a significant hard drug problem and was recently ranked as America's least healthy city. Ashland just seems to be dying, even with a decent hotel and remodeled performing arts center downtown. It's the regional center of a northeast KY region that has been slowly dying since the 1960s.

(2) Paducah has also lost about 35% of its pre-Korean War population. This town looks old, depressing AND ghetto in many parts, although some "Renaissance" areas near and in downtown, as well as '40s and '50s era nabes along Irvin Cobb Drive and on the west side are pretty nice. The "Information Age Park" or whatever it's called has poor access (or it did last time I was there) to Hinkleville Road, which makes it all the less convenient to access I-24 and the airport. Not to mention, IAP and the airport are five and ten miles, respectively, from I-24. The occupational tax rate in Paducah is the highest in Kentucky, I believe. On the other hand, Paducah has the most potential of real renaissance of any small Kentucky city other than Owensboro, but the old naysayers are going to have to die off first (truly).

(3) Hopkinsville: read Paducah, without the airport. A true dump. And their lack of any strong economic progress is inexcusable because it's so freakin' close to Ft. Campbell, Clarksville and only an hour from Nashville. Don't let its slight population growth fool you; it's a small town where at night you can end up in the wrong "'hood" based on the color of your skin.

(4) Name most small towns in eastern Kentucky and we can tie them all into #4. Hazard, Pineville, Prestonsburg, Stanton, McKee, Barbourville, Middlesboro, Paintsville, Salyersville, Owingsville, Frenchburg, Monticello, Mt. Vernon, Harlan, Cumberland, Jackson, Martin, etc. (No, this is not meant to be a bash EKY fest, but it is Kentucky's most underdeveloped area.)

Please provide your analysis and/or opinions.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

295 posts, read 968,623 times
I'll comment. I don't know about the rest of the areas, but I totally agree with you about Northern Ky and the small towns.

Yes, I am from Southeastern Ky and I love the area and the people. I hate it when I see the area put down (not saying you did, you would have heard from me if you had). I really don't know what it would take to change the economic course of the area. Maybe putting younger people with new ideas into leadership positions would be a good first step. Market the area so that others would see what is right with the area instead of what is wrong with the area. Since that Cumberland Gap tunnel has been open a few years now, I never see anything about it. If things like the tunnel were publicized (sp) more, maybe industry would see that there is good roads in the area. And if they could somehow stem the loss of young people who leave the area, industry would realize that there is lots of talent to be had in the area.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,470,550 times
Pretty accurate I think. If I were going to move a family to KY right now & want them to have access to things with opportunities for everyone to grow & prosper, I'd go to N Kentucky or the Lex/Louisville areas. The southern part doesnt offer much & I'd def stay the hell away from the eastern part of the state as well, Ashland included. That Ashland/Huntington area is just depressed for sure.

My parents & other family are still in about all parts of E KY & I know very well all those towns you named. They're mostly still stuck in the stone age. The county I grew up in has actually reverted back a bit if you can believe that. Which is sad to think about that the 70s & 80s was the "boom" then (which was still pretty desolate at the time).

Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
there is good roads in the area. And if they could somehow stem the loss of young people who leave the area, industry would realize that there is lots of talent to be had in the area.
There is no quality education in the area, and no talent.

Your grammar alone shows this.

Eastern Kentucky does not have the infrastructure, the terrain, the talent, the resources, or anything else that would cause business or population to move into the area.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:17 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,798 times
UKUKUK, there was no need to blast Nightrider. I didn't find anything significant enough to be pompous about their posting grammar.

Now, that being said, all of Kentucky, as does the entire nation, and our whole world, has to recognize that redistribution of wealth is detrimental to all but the super-rich. Secondly, we must understand that healthcare has taken over our economic system at every level. While I certainly have had my share of outstanding medical treatments due to back injuries, we must also recognize that except for Jesus Christ, no one has ever lived forever on this Earth. The cost of paying for medical care, prisons and lawlessness, graft, and more will never allow our brilliance to shine.

The people of the hollars of Eastern Kentucky, the ghetto's of our cities, and the substandard houses throughout this commonwealth will never see their true potential without education. Therefore, I don't see much economic hope for any particular area of this wonderful state until we stop all forms of wealth redistribution.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 PM

295 posts, read 968,623 times
[quote=UKUKUK;13691321]There is no quality education in the area, and no talent.

Eastern Kentucky does not have the infrastructure, the terrain, the talent, the resources, or anything else that would cause business or population to move into the area.[/QUOTE

You know what? I feel sorry for you. You are a bitter person.

**** off, asshat. Now how do you like that grammar?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,504,308 times
Two areas that need to be included for discussion are Louisville and Somerset - whether you feel positively or negatively about each one

IMO, the triangle city region and areas should do well - Louisville, No KY and Lexington.

Somerset - the Lake Cumberland draw is pretty big and last I checked it seemed to be doing decent (excluding the damn repair impact)

I think BG will continue to do well and will continue to attract people - maybe retirees looking to be closer to LBL, a college town and an hour or so away from a bigger city/airport. Also, although it isn't a growth industry, Fruit Of The Loom is there.

Ft Knox area will see economic benefit sooner than other area mentioned.

Ashland seems so isolated and agree with what you wrote.

BTW - the 'Lane Report' is a good publication that covers KY's economy

http://www.kybiz.com/

Last edited by easydoesit; 04-11-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM

[quote=nightrider127;13694186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
There is no quality education in the area, and no talent.

Eastern Kentucky does not have the infrastructure, the terrain, the talent, the resources, or anything else that would cause business or population to move into the area.[/QUOTE

You know what? I feel sorry for you. You are a bitter person.

**** off, asshat. Now how do you like that grammar?
I'm just being realistic, bud.

I lived in eastern Kentucky for years, nothing but bleak futures for that place.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
UKUKUK, there was no need to blast Nightrider. I didn't find anything significant enough to be pompous about their posting grammar.
When I lived there, the most common mistake I found was the misgiving of singular conjugation to verbs when referring to a plural noun.

"There is a lot of them"
"They is many in number"
Etc. etc.

English was not my first language and I thought it was kind of funny and a bit sad all at the same time.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

(4) Elizabethtown/Radcliff/Vine Grove: BRAC is adding some 3,000 jobs to Fort Knox. That means many of those new 3,000 jobs will be filled by transplants from NoVA, including our friend Alanboy395. Hardin County is almost at 100,000 residents already; BRAC will spike that figure. Again, that means more businesses and services required to accommodate these new residents.

Please provide your analysis and/or opinions.
You summed it up perfectly for BRAC. Actually, I'm not a government employee (mom is) but hopefully it creates a lot civilian opportunities (at least one for myself ). In fact, we house is under contract in Vine Grove which aint looking like a bad investment right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky