Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM

449 posts, read 1,699,425 times

Advertisements

Trying to find out more about neighborhoods and in general what Frankfort is like. We'd like to live where there are sidewalks, parks, maybe near a small grocery. Job situations? Looking for administrative work. Have there been a lot of layoffs there? It seems a nice-sized small city, big enough to have a variety of things to do but also friendly according to other posts I've seen about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 AM

969 posts, read 2,821,015 times
I lived there when I was a kid, and am currently working with a client who is also moving to Franfort. It is a nice town. I don't know what the job situation is like there, but the good thing is that you can hop on the interstate and be in Lexington or Louisville if you don't mind a commute.

What price range will you be in? Will you be using the public schools? Older house or newer house? That will help anybody on the forum to narrow down neighborhoods for you.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM

LEXpert,
We were looking at older, bungalow rather than newer construction. Smaller 3 BR, a yard (even a smaller urban one will be fine) and an eat-in kitchen. Priced around $150 but I couldn't fix major repairs for a handyman's special
so perhaps higher.
My youngest would be in a program for disabled young adults so schools aren't an issue (but that's also why I'd prefer to work fairly close and need to be careful of neighborhoods). Being within walking of a park, small store/gas station would be good..near the library great (but I can't tell if that's near a residential area or all offices). Oh, up to 6-7 blocks is "walking distance" for us and it can be different directions for the places we like too. A clustered shopping area is nice but not as important as just having places somewhat nearby.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 AM

969 posts, read 2,821,015 times
I just did a quick search and there isn't too much available that meets that right now. If you do a seach, you may want to leave out the age of the house if that is even a search option. Most of the Frankfort agents seem to put the year the house was built rather than how old the house is. The computer thinks that a 20 year old house is 1,990 years old!

Based on what all you said, I think anything around Versailles Road (US 60) down by Eastwood Shopping Center/Sunset Drive area would be nice. Downtown would also be nice, but I don't think you'd get as much retail. Also, there are some neighborhoods along 127 by Juniper Hills that have a nice mix of retail and residential.

I had never really stopped to think about it, but a lot of the neighborhoods in Frankfort that were build before the 60's do seem to have some retail pretty close!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 17,501 times
You can search for homes in Frankfort on the realtor website at [URL="http://www.lbar.com"]www.lbar.com[/URL].
That also provides some information about schools, shopping, etc at the bottom of the page.

-

Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM

LEXpert,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on specific parts of town that have the kind of neighborhood we're hoping to find. It will help when we come for a visit later this Spring too. Usually there are a few areas that have at least some retail for what you need nearby but it's easy not to notice unless you're on the lookout for it.

B4UClose,
Appreciate the website, we'll check it out. Have seen some cute homes in Frankfort - will be nice to see it firsthand later on this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky