Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

I'll take Paul any day of the week over the rich kid who has never had a real job outside of politics (horse ownership doesn't count).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 PM

174 posts, read 371,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Being a bigot & racist isn't a "right". I'm sorry, but there ARE boundaries to everything. And this is coming from someone who has fancied himself as a Libertarian for years now.

I'm just saying, how would you like it if you & your white family were driving in another state on vacation, stopped to get a bite to eat in a predominantly black town & were told to F off because they don't like your color? And believe me, little towns dotted all over the country WOULD be doing this very sorta thing if they could (black, white, whatever). So yeah, Libertarian or not, no one should be treated this way in America ever. It's just not right. So if you wanted to start dividing up the country & segregating it, that'd be a damn good way to start.

Wanna know what I've noticed lately? A lot of closet case bigots coming outta the woodwork, jumping on the bandwagon & calling themselves "Libertarians", when they don't know 2 sh*ts about what it is to really be one. They're only social Libertarians in a loose sense, esp when it suits them, and know absolutely nothing about fiscal issues, which is a BIG part of it. They just know they dont like paying taxes & thats about it.

So basically they're just calling themselves that to not look like total scumbags.
This is about as dead on as I have heard it put. I also see a lot of bigots coming out of the woodwork.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 266,724 times
Quote:

I'm just saying, how would you like it if you & your white family were driving in another state on vacation, stopped to get a bite to eat in a predominantly black town & were told to F off because they don't like your color?
Guess I'd drive me and my white family to a place where our money was welcome

Quote:
And believe me, little towns dotted all over the country WOULD be doing this very sorta thing if they could (black, white, whatever).
Have proof or is this just projection?

Quote:
So yeah, Libertarian or not, no one should be treated this way in America ever. It's just not right.
No, it's not right but in the course of a year how many of us are treated in ways we don't like? If that's the purpose, why not do this right and really start micromanaging human interaction? I think that the social stigma and the desire for profits would keep this to a minimum

Quote:
So if you wanted to start dividing up the country & segregating it, that'd be a damn good way to start.
The politicians have been dividing us for years, not to mention engaging in their own discriminatory practices. Where have you been?

Quote:
Wanna know what I've noticed lately? A lot of closet case bigots coming outta the woodwork, jumping on the bandwagon & calling themselves "Libertarians", when they don't know 2 sh*ts about what it is to really be one.
Certainly plausible. Anyone can call themselves anything that they want. I suppose that the argument comes down to how much power and control do we want to give the gov't

Ok, guess it's time to sit back and wait for the charges of "Bigot!" or "Racist!" or "Scumbag" to be hurled at me

Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM

88 posts, read 273,622 times
yyz1, I wont call you a bigot or a racist. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I will call you ignorant of history...much like Rand Paul.

The government did not mandate integration for 100 years after the Civil War. And in that 100 years the private sector did not integrate itself...especially in the South. You ask for proof that businesses will discriminate if not legally blocked from doing so? There you go. 100 years of post Civil War discrimination right here in our country. And when the government finally stepped in we had the most civil unrest in this country since the Civil War. The discriminators kicked and screamed all the way into submission.

Thats why when Rand Paul says the free market resolves issues like this on its own accord...well...its obvious he didn't live in the 60's. I suggest he watch the History Channel. I suggest you do the same.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 AM

45 posts, read 93,461 times
I went to a local restaurant and asked how many people they have employed. There were 50. I then asked if any blacks worked for them. They said no. I know of a few blacks that have applied. How do you expect blacks to take care of themselves if businesses are given the choice of only hiring whites? I am a white woman but I am also a humatarian.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstroh View Post
yyz1, I wont call you a bigot or a racist. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I will call you ignorant of history...much like Rand Paul.

The government did not mandate integration for 100 years after the Civil War. And in that 100 years the private sector did not integrate itself...especially in the South. You ask for proof that businesses will discriminate if not legally blocked from doing so? There you go. 100 years of post Civil War discrimination right here in our country. And when the government finally stepped in we had the most civil unrest in this country since the Civil War. The discriminators kicked and screamed all the way into submission.

Thats why when Rand Paul says the free market resolves issues like this on its own accord...well...its obvious he didn't live in the 60's. I suggest he watch the History Channel. I suggest you do the same.
They couldn't integrate because they were legally barred from doing so. As a white business owner, I couldn't do business with a black man if I wanted to. It was against the law. Who mandated separate but equal? You're telling me the market did? Hmmm, perhaps you should stop watching the history channel.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 PM

88 posts, read 273,622 times
Um..."Seperate but equal" was not a law. It was the Supreme Court's ruling that allowed for non-integrated schools and public facilities prior to the 60's. It was never "illegal" for a white business man to serve blacks. It wasn't illegal for black people to sit at Woolworth's lunch counter...it was a conscious decision by Woolworth's to not serve them.

Try again.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Discrimination has no place in modern America (or society in general). Every man woman & child, no matter what color, should by all means be treated equally in our society. That's pretty much one of the basis of our country & why many of us reading this, even whites, are here today & able to prosper. So don't be an ignorant jackass. Its basically the reason we're all here in the first place.

If you dont agree, then I'm sorry, but you're really not allowed to have an opinion on the matter. Thats just the way it is & the way it will continue to be. Anything less would be a huge step backwards & we're not doing that, so I dont know what to tell you.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstroh View Post
100 years of post Civil War discrimination right here in our country. And when the government finally stepped in we had the most civil unrest in this country since the Civil War. The discriminators kicked and screamed all the way into submission.
First, we had tremendous civil unrest during the prohibition era in the 20's and early 30's. Organized crime, violence, and murders were at record pace. As for the discriminators, kicking and screaming all the way into submission, see Sen. Byrd's 'longest fillibuster' on venting his beliefs on 'kicking and screaming'. He ranted on for over 14 hours!! Robert Byrd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM

In the public sphere, yeah, you're right, discrimination has no place even though in our gov't it's front and center (set asides, quotas, etc). However, in the private sphere (in a free society) individuals have something called the freedom of association which means that they also have the freedom of non-association. I'm sorry that offends you, but too bad. What really has no place in America is your backwards belief of bringing federal guns down on anyone who disagrees with you or dares utter an opinion or acts in a way that offends your hypersensitive feelings. You brought up a hypothetical example of a black business that refuses service to whites. Yeah? So?
My response was I would take my money elsewhere. Why do you have the incessant urge to intervene? Sure, putting a gun to their heads may bring them into compliance with your demands but is it going to change the way they may feel about whites? Will probably only make it worse! Let's try education, not force. Another guy in this thread mentioned that businesses just want to make money. He's absolutely right, they do. That's why it isn't wise for businesses to discriminate! They will lose out to their competitors who do not discriminate! Don't understand that? Try thinking! Honestly, did the passage of California's prop 209 throw all blacks and hispanics out of California universities as the hysterical doomsdayers said it would? No, it didn't. In fact, graduation rates went up. Do you think that Jerry West would release Kobe Bryant today if the CRA was suddenly repealed? Do you honestly think that there would be mass firings all over the country? No, of course there wouldn't.

You guys seriously need to get over yourselves. Meddling and narcissistic is no way to go through life! Just live your lives. Treat others the way you would want to be treated, hopefully with kindness and civility. For those who insist on being bigots, well, it's their loss. It's they that have to live with their miserable selves. You don't have to associate with them and you don't need to use the full force of the US gov't to force them to associate with people you think they should be. Ok?

BTW, even though some a-holes in this thread believe otherwise, you may have an opinion if you disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky