U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 PM

32 posts, read 123,447 times

Advertisements

We have been spending summers in north-central Minnesota on a small lake and the winter in the Chicago area. We love Minnesota, but unfortunately our children/grandchildren live in Indianapolis. Just too far for frequent visits.

I would love to relocate to a warmer climate for year-round residence, be on a lake & near some shopping (grocery, etc).

I have been reading about the Murray & it seems this might be just the place. There has been an advertising blitz for lakeshore lots in the area. I am including the web address in case anyone isn't sure what I am talking about. I've been trying to find info (other than advertising) on this part of Kentucky Lake, but no luck. I was expecting to see something about the local input on area developments. Can anyone help?

Oh, the website: Kentucky Lakefront Land For Sale - Western Shores at Kentucky Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,986,537 times
What you want to know? Lake property is high ... too high IMHO. Murray and the surrounding area is very nice. But we're not that close to Indy it's about 350 miles from here.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Murray - Western Shores on Kentucky Lake

I guess I'm wondering if the area where the development is, is a good part of the lake to be living. I know we need to actually go & look for ourselves, but I'm wondering if we should even consider the part of the lake where these lots are available. Has anyone heard anything about what they're doing there - good or bad?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Generally speaking any place on the lake is a good, most development's are going to have restriction as to what can and can not be built. I can pin point the exact area they are putting it in at but it said "Between" KY and Barkley which is not possible as the area os the LBL the only place "between" is in TN and this said KY. So who knows, I here the ads for it all the time. Building cost are high right now and I don't know what your budget is, there is always property for sale on or near the lake it just comes down to how much do you want to spend?
Actually there aren't many bad areas around the lake, you might drive down one road that has $500K to $1M houses and the next has cheap seasonal fishing cabins or old trailers. So it all comes down to what you mean when you say "good" one person defines good differently than another.
We went to look at a house on the lake on Barge Island Rd. nice log home, nice lot, on the water and priced right. Well got over there and it was mostly seasonal trailers and this one nice house. Well while the area was nice in terms of location I didn't want a bunch of trailers pulling my property value into the crapper. So if you buy into a development likely that will not be an issue. Personally I'm not a big fan of developments, just not my cup of tea. But some folks love them.
But as I said there are not any really "bad" areas around the lakes to speak of, the property just cost to much for that to happen.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I'm getting the feeling we have the same general idea of good. Can't afford a million, but maybe up to $400,000.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytiredcold View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I'm getting the feeling we have the same general idea of good. Can't afford a million, but maybe up to $400,000.

Are you wanting to be on the water? Do you want a year round deep water slip? Could you live with a seasonal slip? or a community dock? If not on the water do you want a year round water view or a seasonal view? Do you want Murray or Benton area? Do you want fies with that.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 14,163 times
Default western shores

hello, I spend a lot of time a ky lake and I have looked at western shores, it is nice, very secluded for some almost to a fault, dry county, no resturants or shopping within' 15 to 20 min. very economically strapped area outside Murray. However the lots are nice but expensive. waterfront with private dock just for the lot is around 400,000, if you want an uncovered community dock you can get a lot for around 200,000, and then there are other lots that are off the water. There are also restrictions as to the size home you bulid and dues. I suggest you look at homes on barkley lake next to ky. lake. you can find something much more affordable and get it already built on the lake with stores and living people close by. just my thoughts.

d lee

Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,568,967 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...rray-like.html

Click the above link. There are quite a few posts here with people, including myself, opinionating about Murray, KY.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,684,810 times
To give you a general idea of what's for sale in the area, go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale
Put in Murray, Ky. and the price range you're looking for. I checked on Aurora, which is where Kenlake State Resort Park is. There's a couple stores and restaurants there but the town itself died when I-24 opened. The closest houses it shows is in Hardin, a few miles down the road. You can also check Murray, and for the Barkley Lake side, check Cadiz and Eddyville. I just googled Cadiz to Indy. With I-24 right there you can have 4 lane all the way. I-24 to the WK Parkway, to I-65, and a straight shot to Indy, about 318 miles.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,684,810 times
I forgot something. My sife and I are doing a little house looking also. If you see a house on a website you want to check on copy the MLS number, usually over on the right hand side. Then go to Cadiz Real Estate - Western Kentucky MLS Search for properties in Cadiz Kentucky - Coldwell Banker Service 1st Realty - Real Estate Professionals and paste that number where it calls for it. That site is for Cadiz Realty but you can use a number from any realtor. This site usually has some pictures from inside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky