Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:06 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My house is from the 50's but I wouldn't consider it old, I just consider it well built :-)
I think I would be happy with a house like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post

Personally I'd much rather buy an "older" (10+ years old) house that needs a little updating and is built solidly (good "bones") compared to one of the newer crackerbox houses, many of which aren't built nearly as well. Much more value for the money. We looked at a couple of new construction houses and walked right back out. You can buy a much better existing house for the same money.
That was the same thing we thought when we looked at the new construction v. the older homes...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post

Personally I'd much rather buy an "older" (10+ years old) house that needs a little updating and is built solidly (good "bones") compared to one of the newer crackerbox houses, many of which aren't built nearly as well. Much more value for the money. We looked at a couple of new construction houses and walked right back out. You can buy a much better existing house for the same money.
That was the same thing we thought when we looked at the new construction v. the older homes...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 PM

117 posts, read 518,277 times
If your question was more about which older areas of the city best price value retention, here are areas I would recomend/ avoid based on 8 years of living there and getting a degree in urban planing:

Best areas for appreciation:

1. Tates Creek Rd, Richmond Rd & Alumni Dr INSIDE New Circle -- This is where all the professors live
2. SW Lexington - Outside New Circle along Harrodsburg, Clays Mill, and Boston Roads. The area along Boston Road south of Man o War is really nice

Areas to avoid
1. Anything North of Main Street
2. Versailles Road and also Winchester Road areas (aka Little Mexico)
3. Tates Creek Road & Alumni Drive btw New Circle and Man o War (lots of public housing around TC High School

Old 06-17-2007, 03:18 PM

218 posts, read 637,266 times
I have lived in Lexington all my life. I grew up in a house from 1900's, my first house was built in 1917, my second house was a 1928 bungalow, and my current house is a 1977 townhouse (which is definitely the worst of the bunch). I would like to live in a house that is pre-1950 but that's beside the point.

Aspie; I don't think that all the professors live there because I know some that don't.

As for your suggestions to avoid, I think the people from the Historic Northside Association would disagree with you. Fayette Park, Elsmere Park and West Second and Third Sts. are very nice, but a bit pricey.

The Gainesway area has some pre-1970 houses that are well built and well maintained, while the rest of the area is mostly "starter homes" (buy,get equity built up, sell and get out)(HUD 238 Program).

All this comes from my 35 years actually working in Urban planning

Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
If your question was more about which older areas of the city best price value retention, here are areas I would recomend/ avoid based on 8 years of living there and getting a degree in urban planing:

Best areas for appreciation:

1. Tates Creek Rd, Richmond Rd & Alumni Dr INSIDE New Circle -- This is where all the professors live
2. SW Lexington - Outside New Circle along Harrodsburg, Clays Mill, and Boston Roads. The area along Boston Road south of Man o War is really nice

Areas to avoid
1. Anything North of Main Street
2. Versailles Road and also Winchester Road areas (aka Little Mexico)
3. Tates Creek Road & Alumni Drive btw New Circle and Man o War (lots of public housing around TC High School
That's interesting information to ponder. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
and getting a degree in urban planing:
[b]
Hi Angry,

I doubt that there is any one place where all the "professors" (i.e. faculty) live. I'd bet that they live in many different places.

PS I don't have your degree but I think 'planning' is spelled with two 'n's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky