U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM

431 posts, read 1,132,720 times

Advertisements

We put up our 15x48 intex metal frame pool in our back yard the other day. I was told by family that there is no fence required for a pool with at least 4ft height with removable ladder.

** (we remove our ladder and chain it to the back deck and lock it so nobody can use it to get in. There is no deck or etc around our pool, the ladder is the only way in.) The height of the walls literally comes to my armpits so it's not like anybody can fall in. **

We have a no tresspassing sign.

Our yard is not fenced all the way around, only privacy fence on 1 side.

So, now somebody has told me that I need to put a fence around it because even if law doesn't require it, I could be sued for all I'm worth if somebody comes onto my private property....takes liberties to find a way to actually jump in (4ft with no ladder?) or cuts the chain and uses our ladder and drowns or gets hurt.

Anybody know if I have to have a fence ? Anybody know where to find the actual info ? I looked online and didn't find anything but I have emailed Sullivan Co and also a local pool installer.

Now I am really wondering/worried.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM

100 posts, read 328,937 times
My best guess for a correct answer for you would be to call your homeowners insurance company. They will tell you what they require because it wouldn't be a county ordinance I wouldn't think. Hope this helps

Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,243,831 times
The chance of losing that lawsuit is very very very remote. And I don't see how a fence would change the odds or facts of the case. If someone is going to scale your pool wall or cut chains off your ladder, you are going to need a maximum security fence and maybe some vicious dogs to keep them out.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

708 posts, read 1,368,343 times
I believe the fence requirement is for in ground pools, BUT always check with the proper authorities.

This year's State House and Senate has passed a bill requiring all new pools installed after Jan. 1 next year to have a motion detecting alarm, and I believe this also applies to above ground pools, since the incident that prompted the bill's introduction was a drowning of a child in an above ground pool.

My point is that if there is a requirement for an alarm, there may also be a requirement for a fence that most people are unaware of. Of course there would be no enforcement of this, unless an incident happens

Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM

431 posts, read 1,132,720 times
Default Ok, thanks.

We are wondering if the pool alarm is for above ground pools that stay up year round or what ?

Ours is the type that will be taken down every fall/winter and put up in the summer. Intex 15 foot x 4foot with metal poles.

Still may not be a bad investment, but would be a total PITA to walk alllll the way down to the back yard to turn it off for false alarms. The pool is a great distance from the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>