Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 AM

3 posts, read 8,253 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My fiance and I are looking to relocate from Urbana, IL to Greeneville, TN. We are a young couple- I am 20 and he is 22. We both grew up in smaller towns in central Illinois (I had only 2,500 people in the town I grew up in) I am just completely in love with Tennessee. A lot of my family on my Pappaw's side still live around the Rogersville, Johnson City, and Kingsport areas, so we have made special trips every summer since I was a baby. All my life I have been determined to move down there, even though my immediate family all live here in the flatlands. Our big trip is coming up in 9 days to come and stay for a week, so we will be putting in applications and searching for rental houses while we are down there..but a lot of the discussion forums have made me quite nervous!! Everyone talks about how there is no work in Greeneville?? My fiance is a certified HVAC Technician and has had almost a year's experience at one of the best Heating and Air companies here in Champaign working anywhere from 50-65 hrs/week..and I have had a LOT of experience with kids and working with adults who have disabilities. So, I would appreciate it if you are from around the Greeneville or surrounding areas and could give me some advice on places that match our needs!!
Plus, my cousins already give me grief ALL the time about being a yankee, but do you think us being from up north will really affect our chances in getting a job in a town as small as Greeneville? Whenever you get a chance, just give me what you know about this town..thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Jobs are definitely tough in Greeneville. Sometimes locals will be favored over perhaps more qualified candidates. That is simply the way it is; not only in Greeneville, but the whole small town Southern Appalachian region in general.

The best advice I can give you is do not move until you get a job. In addition to that, I'd recommend trying to stay here longer than just a couple day visit. It is kind of closed off to outsiders, and you all may have a hard time meeting new friends. However, if this is of no concern to you since you have family in the area, just disregard this part and enjoy Greeneville.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks for your advice AppalachianAngler..
I have family who grew up in Clinch Mountain and it's sooo beautiful, but we are looking for something closer to some bigger cities.. just not right smack in the middle of them. We are young and definitely want to make new friends, so I guess we'll just have to see which one feels the most comfortable. Any more suggestions on some smaller towns?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 25,163 times
I grew up in a small town in West Central Illinois and graduated from Illinois State University.
I live in Greeneville and work in Johnson City.
Greeneville is a nice small town to live in and the cost of living is low, but there isn't a night life or work.
I like it because it is in the middle of Johnson City, Knoxville, and Asheville. So any time I want to go out, there are plenty of options.
I would recommend coming for a long visit and not moving unless at least one of you have a job lined up.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 AM

Illinois State University is about 30 minutes from where I grew up!
I went to Eastern Illinois University for about 2 years
Can you tell me a little more about Johnson City? Any good Heating & Air Companies that you can think of? Homes for assisted living?
Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol