Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM

37 posts, read 187,886 times

Advertisements

I note that Tennessee explicitly states that it has reciprocity with other states concealed weapon permits (CWP) and that when you become a resident you simply apply for your Tennessee CWP and it is granted. What confuses me is this code from the city of Kingsport, especially since another of the Tri-Cities area, Johnson City specifically allows it. How does Kingsport get away with it, or do they? Code follows:Sec. 66-1. Carrying weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any manner whatever, with intent to go armed, any razor, dirk, Bowie knife or other knife or like form, shape or size or a pocketknife with blade exceeding four inches in length or a switchblade knife of any size or a sword cane, icepick, slingshot, blackjack, knucks, Spanish stiletto or a fountain pen pistol or gun or like instrument containing a firing pin capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatsoever, except authorized military personnel.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry concealed on or about his person any razor, dirk, Bowie knife or other knife of like form, shape or size or a pocketknife with a blade exceeding four inches in length or a switchblade knife of any size or a sword cane, icepick, slingshot, blackjack, brass knucks, Spanish stiletto or a fountain pen pistol or gun or like instrument containing a firing pin capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatsoever, except thearmy or navy pistol which shall be carried openly in the hand, or any other dangerous weapon.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,292,661 times
Maybe they're concerned about armed people crossing the border from Virginia, where a dead horse could buy a gun.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,351,758 times
Interesting. I never knew about that one on the books. I was born and raised in Kingsport and we left there in 2003. We had (have) concealed handgun permits via reciprocity from original issue in Texas. We have a virtual arsenal as hubby owned a gun and knife shop in Texas. We never had a problem whatsoever in Kingsport. My brother and Dad still live in Kingsport and I can assure you that they are armed with at least a knife 24/7. I wonder when that one was enacted You are to be commended for finding it! Kudos!

Are you considering moving to Kingsport? What brings you to looking at our area?

Kind regards.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Kingsport

Strongly considering move to Kingsport from Tucson, Arizona but that ordinance would be a real show stopper. Interesting that Johnson City would explicitly allow it but Kingsport would consider it disallowed...

Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 31,085 times
Default Handgun Carry Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpartner View Post
Strongly considering move to Kingsport from Tucson, Arizona but that ordinance would be a real show stopper. Interesting that Johnson City would explicitly allow it but Kingsport would consider it disallowed...
I am not sure what your question is.

First, Tn does not have a CWP(concealed weapons permit), rather, it has a HCP (handgun carry permit).
The lawmakers wisely omitted the word "concealed" from the permit, as to let a person who would accidentally expose their gun for a moment, not be in violation of state law.

Having a HCP does not necessarily give one the privilege to carry weapons other than a handgun.

As far as the other weapons are concerned, Kingsport's regulations almost completely mirror the state's

Packing.org | To view this page, you must agree to the Disclaimer (broken link)

Quote:
(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

From Packing.org
Quote:
Arizona
Updated: 2005-06-02
Department of Safety Internet - Handgun Reciprocity Information
(High confidence)
Non-resident Permit/License ok
Quote:
(3) (B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided such other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during such six (6) month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and such application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state’s permit.

(C)(i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, such person shall have six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. Such permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided such other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during such six (6) month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and such application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state’s permit.

(ii) The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to this subsection.
(iii) As used in this subdivision, “employed in this state on a regular basis” means a person has been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not counting any absence from employment caused by the employee’s use of sick leave, annual leave, administrative leave or compensatory time.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,351,758 times
Excellent post Palehorse. Thank you for the information.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 31,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Excellent post Palehorse. Thank you for the information.

You are most welcome. I hope it was helpful to oldpartner.

If I knew exactly what part of Kingsport's regulations where being questioned I might be able to help further.

IMO: I don't think that carrying a bowie knife, sword, or brass knuckles is a viable form of self defense. There are two main forms of self-defense 1. run away if possible 2. engage with you CCW(concealed carry weapon) if option one is not possible.
Though I believe that bearing arms is a constitutional right and I think everyone who is capable, should, I also have to say that Kingsport is near the very bottom of the list of dangerous cities in the country. Just though it needed saying.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM

Default To Palehorse

Hi, I thought I had posted the ordinance originally but I guess it gets lost in the verbiage. Anyway, this is directly from the Kingsport city web page on ordinances. Sec. 66-1. Carrying weapons. Kingsport ordinance says you cannot carry while Johnson City ordinance says you can. And just to confuse things further, Tennessee law says you can. (All assuming proper permits)

Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM

67 posts, read 236,054 times
I have been wondering that too. My mom is a teacher in Kingsport and she just got a CWP. Obviously she cannot carry at school, but they are working on that thanks to the Virginia Tech shootings. I have a good friend who is on the force there. I will inquire about that the next time I talk to her & let you all know what I find out. I know where I live hardly no one is granted a CWP except military & police. Half the time security guards cannot even carry in Atlanta.

Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol