Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been reading & researching much of this forum and have found lots of valuable information. Many folks have been very helpful so, even though I didn't ask the original questions, thank you for your participation.

My wife and I are planning on visiting the general Tri-City area of NE Tenn. We have laready fallen in love with the Smokey Mountain region down near Asheville, but for various reasons Asheville, NC, isn't for us. That's why we're considering looking a little further north.

My query involves the various tax costs in Tenn. I'm still trying to get a handle on the tax structure of Tenn. Many of my questions have already been answered. For example, I understand that only dividends and interest are subject to an income tax. Otherwise, pensions, qualified plan distributions, etc., are untaxed.

I also have a handle on the property tax issue. The fact that only 25% of a homes value is subject to tax and that the rates vary with the county and whether it's located within the additional taxing authority of a city or fire district. A very good link to the various millage rates was provided in an earlier thread.

However, I have yet to find any information about whether a personal property tax exists in Tenn. These are taxes that are paid each year on things like vehicles, watercraft, RV's, and/or other personal property. It is seperate from vehicle registration fees. I've found that some states have them and other don't. How about Tenn, does it have a personal property tax? If it has it, at what rate is it figured?

Also, I haven't found any definitive answer on vehicle registration fees. How expensive are they in Tenn for cars, trucks, and RV's? I've found that it can vary significantly between the states where the same vehicle might cost $50/year in one state and maybe $1500/year in another.

Thanks for any experiences or directions you can provide.

Regards,
Garth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 PM

To add to my post, I've tried jumping around the Tenn DMV site. It, along with a few other revenue-related sites, doesn't give clear information on registration costs. So, does anyone have the scoop on the previous registration question and if a personal property (as opposed to real property) tax exists?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,490 times
The amount for vehicle registration varies by county. I just moved up to the Tri-cities and have not had to change tags yet, so I am not sure what it is in my county. I think the minimum is $24 or maybe it is up to $30. But then many counties add wheel taxes. I was living in Middle TN and there tags cost around $100 because you also had to pass an exhaust test to get your tags. Originally I am from Knoxville and I know tags there now cost $60 because of the wheel tax. I have been searching the internet for the taxes up here and I cannot find them. I would venture to guess that $60 per car per year would be the most you would pay in the Tri-cities.
I know there is no other personal property tax levied on cars, but I am not 100% sure about boats and other watercraft. I do not think there is one, but don't quote me on that one.
The tax you mentioned that only applies to interest income and that sort of think is the Hall Income tax (I haven't seen the other posts yet so I don't know if the name of it was mentioned).
Hope that helps some.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 AM

That helps a lot! Heck, I'd be glad to pay only $100 to register a car. At twice that rate I'll be coming out way ahead. It looks good so far.

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2006, 05:56 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,504 times
Did you see JoeP's thread on property taxes? Here's the link at: https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...Property+taxes

Also here's some info on vehicle registration and taxes. The county collects the taxes on the vehicle then the state collects another taxes on top of it. It depends on the county. Here's the link for the TN DMV: http://www.onlinedmv.com/TN_Tennesse...r_vehicles.htm Check out the County Clerk link and figure out your costs.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:25 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,490 times
I looked at the link about the vehicles and if you go to the county clerk page it shows at the bottom the Privilege tax that the county adds on. Usually it is refered to as the wheel tax. The state tax must still be $24 because my tags are from Knox County and they cost $60. According the the site Knox has a $36 privilege tax. My now husband has tags from Davidson County and his cost more than what the site says so there must be another tax on it locally. There you pay an extra $10 for a marta test (the exhaust test), but I know he paid at least $90 something. If your vehicle does not pass the test, you must repair your car. The first retest is free, but if you must test again you must pay again. As of now, that is in Middle TN. We don't have that in the East side of the state so far.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,356 times
We live in Greeneville, TN and we paid 88.00 for tags plus wheel tax every year since we moved here 6 years ago.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
There is no personal property tax in TN. To be honest, moving here from CT and FL...there are not much of anything in the way of taxes in TN. hahhahaha
There is no state income tax, property taxes are CHEEP! Even if you have city and county taxes. The one bad thing is that you do pay property tax on not only your house, but any other structure on you property, such as a barn, shed, ect and they charge by sq ft, but it is so low anyway, that is really not a big deal. Tags for your car, RV or any other viehical is really not that bad either, $50 in tri-cities. No emmisions inspections or fees there either. The one draw back, tax wise is that there is an almost 10 % sales tax which is a combination of county and state that is on everything, including food. Now if you do buy a large item, (over $1,600) the rate is figured a bit lower over the $1,600 so it's not like you are paying 10% on a car, it is more like 6.5% total.
If you need more info on East TN or TN as a whole, email me, I have compiled a list of links to lots of info but the moderaters will cut most of them.
Just ask away, I will do my best to help get you the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol