Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,761 times

Advertisements

Anyone have information on Maryville schools from a teaching point of view? We are considering relocation from Florida to be nearer my husband’s family. Is it a complicated process to transfer a Florida Teaching Certificate? How about the salaries??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 27,053 times
Question 'Discouraged' from attending College?

I am sorry, but I have never known any student to be discouraged from attending college in Hancock County, especially one with Medical School leanings. My family has several. My niece graduated Valedictorian of her 2005 Hancock County High School class and is currently enrolled in Pre-Med at East Tennessee State University. I have had family members graduate from Maryville College. One is now a Spanish teacher in Memphis Tennessee who is pursueing his Masters in Spanish. He played Basketball for four years there. We have good students here in Hancock County Tennessee. Being the POOREST county in Tennessee does NOT influence our mentality. My cousin is a physician in Houston, Texas. My great uncle was a physician who graduated from Lincoln Memorial University, made a Medical Center in Hot Springs, Arkansas and upon his death donated well over 4 million to the new Debusk Medical Center on LMU's campus. My uncle was Administrator of Claiborne County Hospital for well over 20 years with his own Medical practice there.

The point I am making is that all the above mentioned folks come from Hancock, the 'poorest' county in Tennessee. Seems that my Masters Degree from the University of Tennessee will go in there also. Did I mention I am a High School Teacher in Hancock County? That is why I know we dig, hunt, root out, etc., any opportunity for our young people to excell and get an education in todays world. I am glad personally, that I don't rate a childs intelligence, scholastic ability and maturity on their geographical location.

Do you teach at Maryville College? I have some students who are considering your school. Should I be concerned and share this with them?

I commend the young lady who has graduated from Med schools decision to go to a rural area to practice medicine. If we don't care for our own, it seems we won't be cared for at all.

Sincerely,
jewelldreed, Hancock County Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Sorry. None really stand out in my mind from Maryville. However, I know Maryville College has a very good reputation.

I have had several good students from Middle Tennessee; specifically the Franklin,TN and Hendersonville, TN areas.

Of course, I believe you get out of education what you put into it, but most HS students are not mature enough to figure that out. I had a student from Hancock County, the poorest county in TN. She was discouraged from even going to college. She just graduated from medical school and is going to practice in rural TN.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I believe, if memory serves me correctly, that Plain Jane said that in the past she had taught Sociology at a community college and in the College of Public and Allied Health at a university; all in the Tri Cities.

I was an adjunct faculty member at ETSU a few years ago, and I never even knew where a student was from or what high school they attended/graduated from. I am a firm believer that aptitude and attitude can conquer anything; if there is anything to overcome that is

Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM

41 posts, read 203,098 times
Hi. we moved from Bristol (Sullivan County) last year to Greeneville. I thought the schools were great in Sullivan County until I started my kids in Greeneville City Schools. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!! Our daughter graduated (her 12th year at a entirely new school to her) and went on to receive a full scholarship to a University in Maryland. when you ask her she says moving was the best thing we ever did. She HATED the idea in the beginning and voiced it regularly but after it was all said and done, she says she feels as though she got a better education her last year than her previous 3 at another high school. If you have a choice , Greeneville City Schools are wonderful.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
There are several good schools in Bristol as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
The city school systems of Kingsport & Johnson City are among the best in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol