U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Fun place: diversity, openness, friendly people, biking, hiking, water sports, white water rafting

Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 AM

24 posts, read 71,644 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me – I do appreciate it.

I am considering a move from N. Florida, and am planning on a trip to your area to check things out and would really like to know the good, bad and ugly about the area.

A few things I’d like to know are, what’s it really like to live there? Is it a fun place? I’m looking for diversity and openness, friendly caring people and progressiveness, but also the ability to make some place my home and just fit in. Guess I like small town charm, warmth and personal friendships with city amenities close by. What areas would you recommend to live? I should mention that I am a 43 yr old, college educated, divorced white male, no kids.

Love the outdoors, especially biking, hiking and water sports, along with white water kayaking/rafting – are those opportunities available there and are they close by? Nice lakes that are boatable/skiable?

Since I would not know anyone in the area, are there clubs, social organizations, etc. that would make it easy to meet people? What about dating opportunities?

What about professional/job opportunities, business environment? My background is Marketing/Advertising, and I have my real estate license as well, but I may pursue something totally different or start my own business. What industries are there? How are commute times? How is the tax situation?

I am more of a spiritual than religious guy, but would still like to be around like minded people – how well is that tolerated, and are there churches like Unity, Religious Science, etc. there?

How healthy is the area? Decent air and water quality? What about lifestyles? Are people into health and wellness, and does the community support it with good food stores, restaurants, outlets, etc? How the the overall environment? Is it being protected?

What about cost of living/housing? I would rent to start, but if I liked the area would love to purchase a home and settle for long term.

Local Government – progressive? Controlled growth?

I love to travel – how are flights out of the local airport? Easy to fly to lots of destinations? Costs?

I know I asked a ton of questions, but again, any info will be greatly appreciated!

PS – One last thing. Can you recommend a good hotel for my visit that is reasonable/cheap, clean and safe in the area? Thanks bunches!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,426,380 times
...what’s it really like to live there? Is it a fun place? I’m looking for diversity and openness, friendly caring people and progressiveness, but also the ability to make some place my home and just fit in. Guess I like small town charm, warmth and personal friendships with city amenities close by. What areas would you recommend to live?

Johnson City would probably be your best choice, or a nearby community like Gray, Piney Flats or Jonesborough. "Fun" means different things to different people, so it's kinda hard to answer that other than to say that JC leads when it comes to nightlife & restaurants. Kingsport's coming on strong, though, in the restaurant category. I also would rate JC as the most progressive (and liberal) of the Tri-Cities, due in large part to the academic community...it's home to East Tenn. State University. You'll find plenty of friendly folks wherever you look in this area, though...many "shirt off their back" types.

Love the outdoors, especially biking, hiking and water sports, along with white water kayaking/rafting – are those opportunities available there and are they close by? Nice lakes that are boatable/skiable?

Wonderful area for outdoors enthusiasts. There are several TVA lakes (Patrick Henry, Boone, Watauga & S. Holston) here that are prime (and heavily used) recreation areas. Many people raft and kayak on the Nolichucky River. Bays Mountain Park (3500 acres) in Kingsport and Steele Creek Park (2200 acres) in Bristol are two of the largest city parks in America; both offer ample hiking opportunities while many folks bike at Bays Mtn. Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport has a highly regarded mtn. bike trail over 6 miles long, with other MB trails in JC and Erwin and many more w/in a 90-min. drive (SW Virginia & Western NC). I road bike a good bit in Hawkins, Washington & Sullivan Counties in TN and Scott, Russell & Washington Counties in VA...wonderful scenery and light traffic in many places. The Appalachian Trail is nearby and many other local hiking options abound:
Favorite Hikes (http://www.tehcc.org/FavoriteHikes.htm - broken link)

I am more of a spiritual than religious guy, but would still like to be around like minded people – how well is that tolerated, and are there churches like Unity, Religious Science, etc. there?

A friend of mine is very active in a Unitarian church in Bristol, TN. As you might expect, though, conservative protestantism & attitudes are predominant in this area. Politically, the GOP has dominated this area for many years. As long as you're not overtly confrontational/argumentative re: politics & religion, however, you should encounter few if any problems.

How healthy is the area? Decent air and water quality? What about lifestyles? Are people into health and wellness, and does the community support it with good food stores, restaurants, outlets, etc? How the the overall environment? Is it being protected?

The air quality, in general, is not good (especially Kingsport), primarily due to emissions from Eastman Chemical Co. and ozone. Water quality is fine in most places:
EPA - Envirofacts Warehouse - SDWIS

Lifestyle-wise, folks here are not particularly active in general. Diabetes is a big problem in these parts, primarily due to obesity & lack of exercise. I hike or bike 5-6 hours every week, though, and there are lots of other people here who aren't content to sit on their sofas all day long. I just don't see nearly as many who walk/run/hike/bike as I did when I lived in & around Atlanta. With all the lakes around, water sports (skiing and the like) are very popular. Snowboarding & skiing are also popular just across the mtns. in NC. Good restaurants are plentiful, including ethnic options like Japanese, Indian, and Korean in addition to scads of Chinese, Italian & Mexican restaurants.

What about cost of living/housing?

COL is among the cheapest in the nation. RE: housing, a good 3-bedroom, 2-bath house within the city limits of Kingsport or Bristol can still be found for under $120K.

I love to travel – how are flights out of the local airport? Easy to fly to lots of destinations? Costs?

Pretty easy, though sometimes significantly cheaper to drive to & fly out of Knoxville. Depends largely on where you want to go. More info on the local airport here:
Tri Cities Regional Airport (broken link)

Good luck w/ your move should you choose to make it!

Last edited by kamoshika; 06-26-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 AM

24 posts, read 71,644 times
Awesome info Kamoshika! Thanks so much. I look forward to a visit soon...

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 16,240 times
Wink Yes, Yes, and YES...all are here

dont forget this is the 21st century...we have clubs, eateries from hell, lakes galore, water sports also...both kids LOOOOOOOOL...white water rafting on 2 rivers within 20 miles of each other...well not so good this year...we are in a extreme drought...12" below normal for the year.
Moderator cut: link not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernguy View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me – I do appreciate it.

I am considering a move from N. Florida, and am planning on a trip to your area to check things out and would really like to know the good, bad and ugly about the area.

A few things I’d like to know are, what’s it really like to live there? Is it a fun place? I’m looking for diversity and openness, friendly caring people and progressiveness, but also the ability to make some place my home and just fit in. Guess I like small town charm, warmth and personal friendships with city amenities close by. What areas would you recommend to live? I should mention that I am a 43 yr old, college educated, divorced white male, no kids.

Since I would not know anyone in the area, are there clubs, social organizations, etc. that would make it easy to meet people? What about dating opportunities?

What about professional/job opportunities, business environment? My background is Marketing/Advertising, and I have my real estate license as well, but I may pursue something totally different or start my own business. What industries are there? How are commute times? How is the tax situation?

What about cost of living/housing? I would rent to start, but if I liked the area would love to purchase a home and settle for long term.

Local Government – progressive? Controlled growth?

I know I asked a ton of questions, but again, any info will be greatly appreciated!

PS – One last thing. Can you recommend a good hotel for my visit that is reasonable/cheap, clean and safe in the area? Thanks bunches!

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-04-2007 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM

64 posts, read 231,151 times
Default Spiritual groups & nature

I moved in a few weeks ago & was invited to church (oh no, I was warned about that!), but 1st Presbyterian in Elizabethton turned out to be a really progressive church with a Wed. night Buddhist meditation group, and a fascinating Sun. morning lecture by a Hindu/Christian woman, in addition to regular services. The group was filled with spiritual seekers, and I felt very welcome. Was really surprised to find myself going to church already, but wonders will never cease! They also have a Peacemakers group that supports environmental cleanup & other nature projects.

Nature is beautiful and ever present here. Even watching the local fireworks shows last night, with mountains for a backdrop was awe inspiring. You can check out the air & water quality, along with other demographic data on Neighboroo.com to narrow down your search. I've seen 9 different varieties of birds on my back deck just this week. This is a really special area.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,220,652 times
Welcome to TN and my neck of the woods EagalI! So glad to hear you are enjoying life here thus far.
So glad you came back and told us about it, please stay. There are a lot of folks who come to City-Data for information to move, but then don't come back to tell of there own experiences when they get here.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 AM

64 posts, read 231,151 times
Default Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Welcome to TN and my neck of the woods EagalI! So glad to hear you are enjoying life here thus far.
So glad you came back and told us about it, please stay. There are a lot of folks who come to City-Data for information to move, but then don't come back to tell of there own experiences when they get here.
Mbmouse - I'm SO glad to be able to report that this area is everything I hoped it would be and thensome. Of course, I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but feel very blessed to be here amoung helpful people, beautiful scenery & good opportunities for personal & professional growth.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times
Default Religious Science in TN Unity also

www.rsok.org might be helpful

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>