U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,560 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Central FL,
My whole family, immediate and extended, are considering a move out of FL for all the reasons I have seen stated in this forum and more. I have lived in FL all my life and the thought of this major move is both exciting and frightening. I was in the Johnson City area in April and really liked what I saw. I would appreciate any insight on the Elizabethton/Carter County area. I haven't seen any threads that really mention anything about this town. So, what's up? How would you compare it to the Gray area of Washington County? We will be coming up next week to look at some properties in Gray and Piney Flats, but not sure if we should include Elizabethton. Any info would be great. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 10:04 PM

408 posts, read 1,853,287 times
I just moved up to the area a couple of months ago so I am no expert. It is a nice small town that is growing. Depending on the type of work you may be seeking (unless you are retired), you may have to drive to JC or one of the other tri-cities for a job. Maybe it was the price range we were looking in, but it does not appear that there are many new houses being built in this area. The Watagua lake is just up the street if you like being close to recreational activities and the Cherokee National Forest is all around us. Parts of it are very hilly and there are parts out in the county that will make it feel like you have to drive forever to get somewhere. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. I don't know much about Gray or Piney Flats to be able to compare it.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM

130 posts, read 524,925 times
Gray and Piney Flats are more a part of JC. A lot of nicer homes and more convenient to the city. Elizabethton is sort of it's own little small town, not as much a suburb of JC as the other two.

Elizabethton is definitely more "Mayberry" than the other two. Sort of a town where everyone knows everyone, which lends itself to the possibility of not "fitting in" as much if you didn't grow up there.

All three would be on my short list for buying a home, but I would insert Jonesborough behind Gray and Piney Flats and before Elizabethton.

If you want to speak with a Realtor about these areas I have a friend with a well known agency and she knows the area better than I. If you want her contact information send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Joe

Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,663,840 times
I agree with the others posts!
Another big difference between Washington County (gray, pinney Flats) and Carter County (Elizabethton) is the school systems. Carter County is having a lot of political issues within the school board. So, if you have children, my suggestion would be Washington County. Gray schools are AWESOME! and Pinney Flats has a good school too, however it makes a difference as to what side of Pinney flats you are in as to which school system your children will be in, some go to Washington Schools, some go to Sullivan County schools.
The median income is also higher in Gray verses Elizabethton and I think Washington County has more to offer than Elizabethton.
I also can get you Realtor, employment recruiters and area links if you would like to email me, I would be happy to forward them to you.
Number one on your list while you are here is to enjoy the area! Next week will be a good time to come as the temps are going to be the nice mid 80's. Don't be discouraged by the scattered T'storms, they are normal this time of year here, but usually hold off till late afternoon and don't last long.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,560 times
Thanks for all the good info. I think we will concentrate on the Washington County area. I have gathered all the info I can from this site and more, now we will just have to spend some time in the area and rub elbows with the locals. Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,582,836 times
I still think Elizabethton is a nice area, as long as you don't mind a little commute time through some pretty natural scenery.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,663,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I still think Elizabethton is a nice area, as long as you don't mind a little commute time through some pretty natural scenery.
I do have to say, that stretch of 321 from Elizabethton to HWY 26 is just beautiful!! I think if I didn't have school age kids, I would love to live in Carter County, over by The Laurals Park, you know the area I am talking about? The land there is just gorgeous!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 PM

64 posts, read 225,648 times
The drive up to Watauga Dam is just breathtaking. I rented a kayak for $20 and paddled around the lake with a friend. Have never seen prettier landscapes all around.

Personally, I like the commute from work in JC to the outskirts of Elizabethton. Every time the mountains appear before me, I grin from ear to ear. Every time I see cows, horses or goats grazing, I let out a big sigh. And, every time I watch the sun rise over the ridge, creating billows of steam that roll down the hills, I am awed. That's why I love Eton.

In the historic part of town, there are tons of antique stores, a new Thai/Japanese restauant in addition to country style cooking, the covered bridge spanning the river, with post office, visitor's center, town hall & library within walking distance.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 PM

359 posts, read 1,523,459 times
I have to put in a plug for Carter County, too. I live in Blountville, but just bought a small farm in Stoney Creek. I **love** it out there.

The people are happy and friendly, and there's lots to do. And it is GORGEOUS!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM

64 posts, read 225,648 times
Stoney Creek really is gorgeous. I drove around the Lover's Lane area on a Sunday drive & spied some one lane roads that looked passable only on a motorcycle! Sounds like life on the farm appeals to you, GrannyLois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol