Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

As a Greeneville native I can say that we do not welcome those of you who want to retire in our hometown. It is our hometown and will not remain the same if all of you outsiders come in. There is a lot of people who will resist you when you move there. Our community is small and great the way it is. Unless you have relatives or are orinally from Greeneville, then this is not the place for you. I am from one of the locations in the South Greene area and you think it is pretty, land and homes are cheap. Also, there is the other side, people who live there are simple and not looking forward to all of you who are targeting our town as a place to retire. This is a small simple "Southern" town and not for y'all "Yankees" and rude people from elsewhere. Leave our community and way of life alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 12:34 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Tennessee is famously known as the "sophisticated hillbilly state".

N.Carolina natives accents are thicker than maple syrup.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I lived in Greeneville for 3 years. I should write something nasty about it and say don't move there because I want it all to myself when I retire. I moved there as a "tour of duty" for my job and unfortunetly had to move out when my tour ended but my wife and myself already have decided that that will be the place we want to retire to.

In short, it's paradise if you can deal with great weather, no traffic problems, beautiful mountains nearby, low cost of living, and low crime. Seriously I guess there are some minuses - liberal zoning laws so that you may have a $30,000 trailer next to your $200,000 house, nearest mall and decent theater are in Bristol 45 miles up the road, probably not a good place for a single or young person but to retire it's perfect, ummm - that's all I can think of.

As are as the "Greeneville Native" I saw nothing of that attitude when I moved and lived there so I would outright ignore that post. Then again, we all want to keep Greeneville a secret.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneville Native View Post
As a Greeneville native I can say that we do not welcome those of you who want to retire in our hometown. It is our hometown and will not remain the same if all of you outsiders come in. There is a lot of people who will resist you when you move there. Our community is small and great the way it is. Unless you have relatives or are orinally from Greeneville, then this is not the place for you. I am from one of the locations in the South Greene area and you think it is pretty, land and homes are cheap. Also, there is the other side, people who live there are simple and not looking forward to all of you who are targeting our town as a place to retire. This is a small simple "Southern" town and not for y'all "Yankees" and rude people from elsewhere. Leave our community and way of life alone
I imagine your town is gorgeous and I sympathize with your outlook about its potential for being "ruined" by an influx of people. That same thing has happened to lots of "Mayberry" type towns.

But I think your anger or fear about this is a little misdirected. I don't think you should worry as much about a nice couple who wants to retire there or a family who is looking to relocate to a nice small town and integrate into the community (leaving aside those who DO like to move and then complain that things aren't like where they came from and try to change things--but those people don't usually get to far as individuals trying to create a new lifestyle, etc.)

No, what Greeneville and other towns like it need to fear are huge real estate developers and corporations-- the kinds of groups who can and do zoom into an area like a swarm of locusts, buy up all the surrounding beautiful land and build up strip malls, bigger malls, ugly cookie cutter housing additions, etc. to attract wealthy people looking for vacation homes and such.

Sadly, that's happening everywhere. Those groups have money to buy people out, buy up land, close down mom and pop operations for huge mega-markets, build those housing additions and planned communities, do a lot of heavy advertising, have the money and power to infiltrate and affect local laws and regulations, etc.

It's sad that some of us see a quaint small town that looks like it would be a great, charming place to raise a family and other people with less savory motivations see nothing but dollar signs. And those people are winning. Just look at North Carolina.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 AM

96 posts, read 563,140 times
Cool The real rude one appears to be............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneville Native View Post
..........As a " Yankee " who bears no ill will towards anyone.........it appears to me that Greeneville Native is behaving like the real " rude " one....His proclaimation that " this is a small simple ' Southern ' town " does not sound like " Southern Hospitality " to me ?.......Perhaps someone should attempt to explain to Greeneville Native that it stands to reason that if " outsiders " are seeking to retire to Greeneville where " it is pretty, land and homes are cheap " we are looking to retire there BECAUSE we " outsiders " ALSO think that Greeneville is " great the way it is " & ALSO want to leave your " way of life alone "....There is a saying that : " If its not broke; don't fix it " & the last thing I would want to do is change the beauty and charm of Greeneville....I would imagine that other Greeneville Natives HAVE TO BE more neighborly & friendlier the above Greeneville Native !

Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM

20 posts, read 151,983 times
Default Response to Greeneville Native..

Wife and i just got back form a few days in TN. We stayed at the General Morgan because we wanted to experience the 'town'. All I have to say is that the General Morgan is basically the only thing holding the downtown together. If it wasn't for outsiders like us willing to pay $110 a night for a room your town would be dead.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 AM

265 posts, read 904,490 times
Dear Greeneville Native:

I have been visiting you area for YEARS! and I plan on retiring there. I have never, ever had any dealings with anyone who was rude or non-welcoming. Everyone I have come in contact with has gone out of their way to welcome me and make suggestions and recommend Realtors.

You have a beautiful community that I look forward to living in and being a part of.

Now. Having said that: I am NOT a Yankee. I was born in West VA and have lived in a fairly small town in FLA since 1971. I am NOT rude. I do NOT want to change a blessed thing about Greeneville. If I thought it needed to be changed, I wouldn't be spending in excess of $300,000 to buy land there.

And lastly, I will be taking the time to talk to the surrouding neighbors before I make a purchase.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,055 times
Greeneville and the surrounding area is beautiful; you can't go wrong with that area.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 AM

95 posts, read 83,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Houses are cheaper in TN. I wonder if thats why?
Cheaper than what??

Old 02-08-2022, 03:19 AM

46 posts, read 63,717 times
Default Greenville Native

Old thread......but I'm wondering how things have changed in Greeneville since this thread started. Greeneville native did not welcome all the retirees coming into his / her hometown. All posters had no intention of changing things, however, the simple fact that so many newcomers have "discovered" an area leads to all kinds of change. So....Y'all still happy? Or ready to close the gates to newcomers????
I'm in NC and the change here is frustrating..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol