Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 10:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Old thread......but I'm wondering how things have changed in Greeneville since this thread started. Greeneville native did not welcome all the retirees coming into his / her hometown. All posters had no intention of changing things, however, the simple fact that so many newcomers have "discovered" an area leads to all kinds of change. So....Y'all still happy? Or ready to close the gates to newcomers????
I'm in NC and the change here is frustrating..
Oh I see my old post from 2006! Yes I have moved back to the Greeneville area as I swore to back then. Biggest difference is housing prices - they have skyrocketed (that's country wide of course, but it's even more percentage wise than other places). Other than that, I don't see many changes at all. Remember you don't have to live IN Greeneville, there are little rural communities all over the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 06:25 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
When we were there - 5 yrs ago? - Greeneville was my favorite of all the little towns we visited - we stayed at the Captain Morgan Inn - and Jonesborough was a very close second. The storytelling center and how they had music on the courthouse steps (if they still have it) was very appealing to me. Hometown....hard to find that ....

Johnson City was too big for us, and though we also liked Knoxville, that was even a bit too big, (I think we stayed in Maryville at that point....we wandered around upper east TN) At the time they were doing something with the big 'town square' in the middle of the city where there were restaurants and such and we liked that a lot.

People were friendly but guarded then, and my distinct impression was that they didn't like outsiders encroaching because they were not polite and were critical. I think liberal northeasterners were a big turn off for them (and I can't blame them) because, even like they do here, the come from elsewhere and then do nothing but complain. Well, then why don't they just stay where they are? The Carolinas were like that, too. The 'half-backs' had a terrible reputation and they WERE rude. I saw that myself. Old people from Florida. Remind me never to be like them.

If I move to your neck of the woods, its because I want your way of life - with less snow

Old 02-18-2022, 10:33 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Old thread......but I'm wondering how things have changed in Greeneville since this thread started. Greeneville native did not welcome all the retirees coming into his / her hometown. All posters had no intention of changing things, however, the simple fact that so many newcomers have "discovered" an area leads to all kinds of change. So....Y'all still happy? Or ready to close the gates to newcomers????
I'm in NC and the change here is frustrating..
There are plenty of people in Greeneville with the same attitude as Greeneville Native against outsiders and that will never change. But for the most part, it is just a live and let live town. You might see chatter on message boards or Facebook about outsiders, but it shouldn't affect your overall experience in Greeneville, unless you want a big circle of local friends or want to be in local politics. The good ole boy network is strong in G-ville, but I am not sure it is much different than any small town in East TN.

The thing is, Greeneville is never going to be a huge retirement destination like Asheville or even Jonesborough, but some of the natives would have you think otherwise. I've heard that talk since the '80s and it is still just the same old Greeneville today. There may be some more transplants and retirees, but the native presence is always going to be the prevailing vibe there.

If you retiree there to enjoy a small town at the foothills of the mountains, it is perfectly fine.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
There are plenty of people in Greeneville with the same attitude as Greeneville Native against outsiders and that will never change. But for the most part, it is just a live and let live town. You might see chatter on message boards or Facebook about outsiders, but it shouldn't affect your overall experience in Greeneville, unless you want a big circle of local friends or want to be in local politics. The good ole boy network is strong in G-ville, but I am not sure it is much different than any small town in East TN.

The thing is, Greeneville is never going to be a huge retirement destination like Asheville or even Jonesborough, but some of the natives would have you think otherwise. I've heard that talk since the '80s and it is still just the same old Greeneville today. There may be some more transplants and retirees, but the native presence is always going to be the prevailing vibe there.

If you retiree there to enjoy a small town at the foothills of the mountains, it is perfectly fine.
What's the attraction of Jonesborough over Greeneville for retirees? Is there just more to do there? or just more out of towners so new out of towners fit in better?

Your last sentence says it all....

Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What's the attraction of Jonesborough over Greeneville for retirees? Is there just more to do there? or just more out of towners so new out of towners fit in better?

Jonesborough is more affluent, attracts a higher end crowd, has some level of tourist component through the storytelling center and oldest town in TN, and is just much more “curated.”

Old 02-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Jonesborough is more affluent, attracts a higher end crowd, has some level of tourist component through the storytelling center and oldest town in TN, and is just much more “curated.”
Thanks Serious. I appreciate your feedback. I did like Jonesborough, especially the main drag with the storytelling center and the music on the steps of the courthouse on Fridays (I think it was the courthouse.)
It had a friendly vibe to me, but so did Greeneville, although Greeneville seemed less 'curated' (good word) and more home town. My impression. People were very friendly in both places, such a nice change from the northeast.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:

Jonesborough really I see as just an extension of Johnson City, at this point they are connected. Greeneville is really it's own little town.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks Serious. I appreciate your feedback. I did like Jonesborough, especially the main drag with the storytelling center and the music on the steps of the courthouse on Fridays (I think it was the courthouse.)
It had a friendly vibe to me, but so did Greeneville, although Greeneville seemed less 'curated' (good word) and more home town. My impression. People were very friendly in both places, such a nice change from the northeast.
People here are friendly/cordial to strangers, but I don't think it's any easier to make deeper connections than most places, and quite possibly more difficult.

I'm originally from here, but lived outside the area from 25 to 30, moving back in 2016 at age 30. When I left, I was still close to my high school and college friends. By the time I came back, virtually all of those people had moved on from the area. I still don't have many close friends here five years later that I didn't know from years ago. I talk to my friends from Indiana much more than anyone I've met here recently.

Personally, I've found it incredibly difficult to make friends here, even though I'm from the area, because so many area natives socialize with the same people they've known since grade school. There aren't many transplants, so you don't get the "everyone is a newcomer" thing that you get in a larger area where people are more open to socializing with strangers.

Jonesborough is very nice for its size. Greeneville is OK if you understand the limitations of a small city that's pretty far apart from anything else of consequence.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
People here are friendly/cordial to strangers, but I don't think it's any easier to make deeper connections than most places, and quite possibly more difficult.

I'm originally from here, but lived outside the area from 25 to 30, moving back in 2016 at age 30. When I left, I was still close to my high school and college friends. By the time I came back, virtually all of those people had moved on from the area. I still don't have many close friends here five years later that I didn't know from years ago. I talk to my friends from Indiana much more than anyone I've met here recently.

Personally, I've found it incredibly difficult to make friends here, even though I'm from the area, because so many area natives socialize with the same people they've known since grade school. There aren't many transplants, so you don't get the "everyone is a newcomer" thing that you get in a larger area where people are more open to socializing with strangers.

Jonesborough is very nice for its size. Greeneville is OK if you understand the limitations of a small city that's pretty far apart from anything else of consequence.
Interesting about friendships. We moved to VT almost 20 yrs ago and can literally count our friends on one hand. Very difficult to find a group to fit in with, and you nailed it. Most people have pre-existing friendships (here it seems to be people with kids who are friends with other people with kids) and school connections - things we don't have. I felt like maybe we weren't interesting enough to be fit in. LOL. We know some of our immediate neighbors, but we have never visited each others' homes nor do we ever socialize. Everyone here lives a quiet, secluded life and have their own friends. So, we have become accustomed to flying solo.
I really appreciate your perspective - thanks for sharing it.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting about friendships. We moved to VT almost 20 yrs ago and can literally count our friends on one hand. Very difficult to find a group to fit in with, and you nailed it. Most people have pre-existing friendships (here it seems to be people with kids who are friends with other people with kids) and school connections - things we don't have. I felt like maybe we weren't interesting enough to be fit in. LOL. We know some of our immediate neighbors, but we have never visited each others' homes nor do we ever socialize. Everyone here lives a quiet, secluded life and have their own friends. So, we have become accustomed to flying solo.
I really appreciate your perspective - thanks for sharing it.
This is a small town/rural problem. I doubt that people here are any more, or less, friendly, long-term, than rural VT. Similar values. While people are polite to your face, it's just hard to make deeper level connections because those social circles are mostly full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol