U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,148,018 times

Advertisements

I've taken all of these in the past year except for the covered bridge photo, which comes from the Tenn. DOT:
NE Tenn. pics

For many more photos of Carter County, check out this site:
Photos of Elizabethton / Carter County Tn. Area
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,676,169 times
Beautiful pictures!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM

290 posts, read 964,121 times
Default Gorgeous Pictures!

You are making me very homesick. I used to work at WCYB-TV, Channel 5's Transmitter site on Holston Mountain and had such a beautiful view of South Holston Lake. It was very beautiful in the winter with snow up on the mountain, but made the trip back down to Elizabethton a little on the treacherous side when my shift was over. One of your pictures brought back pleasant memories of my 24 hour shifts on Holston Mountain.

I now live in Nashville and very much miss the NE Tennessee area.

Thanks for sharing them!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks, I'm happy to share them.

BuzzCam, I've trudged through the snow while hiking the AT on top of Holston Mtn. several times. Here's a wonderful panoramic shot of the mountain:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nPanoramic.jpg

If you don't already have this site bookmarked you may enjoy checking it from time to time. The lake views won't be quite as crisp & colorful as what you remember, but it's still a neat site on a crystal-clear day: Holston Mountain weather & cam

Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 AM

15,752 posts, read 28,811,757 times
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing them here. You did a great job getting the animals to pose also!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Love the pictures! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Thanks, I'm happy to share them.

BuzzCam, I've trudged through the snow while hiking the AT on top of Holston Mtn. several times. Here's a wonderful panoramic shot of the mountain:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nPanoramic.jpg

If you don't already have this site bookmarked you may enjoy checking it from time to time. The lake views won't be quite as crisp & colorful as what you remember, but it's still a neat site on a crystal-clear day: Holston Mountain weather & cam
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for the links. I actually created a web page which accesses several web cameras in The Tri-Cities area. Channel 5, I think, owns Channel 39 and the TV 39 transmitter site, also, has a camera. I believe it is on Viking Mountain near Greeneville.
My Tri-Cities "windows on the world", as I call it, web page is: Buzz's Tri-Cities Weather Radar and Webcams Page

The camera shot you see on Holston Mountain is the same view I had when working at WCYB-TV's transmitter. The trees have grown much since the time I worked there, which was in the late 70's to early 80's. I could tell you some very strange stories about working up at Channel 5's transmitter which deal with ghosts. I never saw any, but overnight there were always weird sounds I could never explain. A shift at the transmitter was 24 hours, so I spent the night there as well.

I used to travel around the NE Tennessee and SW Virginia areas, while working for Channel 5, and shot video of scenic settings. I would put the scenery to music, and the videos would air between the programs on Channel 5. This was, also, in the late 70's to early 80's. I always ended the videos with a graphic which would say. "Thank you for watching!" Viewers were very gracious in the comments I received, but I could not take the credit. It was the beauty of the that area which made those videos special. I shot the videos when Channel 5 got their first "mini-camera". The camera weighed 30 pounds, and I had a video tape deck strapped to my shoulder which recorded the video. It, also, weighed about 30 pounds or it seemed like it did. How things have changed over the years.

The most beautiful setting I can remember, when working on Holston Mountain, was Christmas Eve one year. I was a little depressed, as the job required only one person, and I didn't want to be alone on Christmas Eve. My job was basically babysitting Channel 5's TV Transmitter and hoping the thing would not break down during my shift.

That evening, Holston Mountain, as well as the rest of The Tri-Cities was hit by a snow storm. Only the storm was more like a raging blizzard up on the mountain. I could not see more than 5 feet from the building during this storm. The temperature was minus 5, and I calculated the wind chill at minus 60.

Around midnight, the weather cleared and I had the most awesome view of all the lights in the valley. It was like God lit up the valley like a big Christmas Tree just for me. Normally, there is quit a bit of haze, so visibility, even at night, is not very good. But, just for that one special night, (Christmas) I felt as if I could see 100 miles or more.

Christmas morning was a winter wonderland. I took pictures. I may have to dig them out, scan them into my computer and post them here.

The Tri-Cities, as shown in your pictures, is a very beautiful area of our state.

My folks live in the Boones Creek area north of Johnson City. I created my web page, so I can check in from time to time to see what kind of weather they are experiencing.

Again, thanks for the links and the beautiful pictures!

Buzz

Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 PM

119 posts, read 370,170 times
Those are awesome! Thank you so much!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:45 PM

64 posts, read 224,389 times
Default Pics

What a great representation of what Carter County & neighboring mountain areas have to offer. Thank you very much for sharing.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Very cool story, Buzz! And what an excellent website you've put together as well. I'm a big weather buff also and I hate that our winters here are so mild these days. I've been back in Kingsport for 5 years and have experienced only two or three halfway decent snows during that time.

When I was a student at ETSU in the early '80s, I knew that if it was raining & in the 40s in JC that it'd likely be snowing on Roan Mountain. So, many times I'd set off in my anemic Plymouth Horizon in search of the white stuff. More than once I found myself stuck in a snowdrift up there, once even overnight.

That ascending, transitional drive into a "snow zone" is still as thrilling to me now as it was then, so I enjoy doing the same on Panhandle Road (Holston Mtn.) from time to time.

If you wouldn't mind posting some of those Christmas pics from long ago, I'd love to see 'em! BTW, even though I've never met the guy, Johnny Wood & I are related to each other somehow.

Also, I just came across this site today & like the graphic presentation of local temps:
Power Map

Old 07-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Thanks for the link!

That's a neat website!

I will dig out those winter pictures this weekend, scan them in and post them here.

I checked back on my Tri-Cities Weather Radar and Web Cameras website and noticed the camera on Viking Mountain is showing the big "dreaded red X". Not sure where the camera went, I will look into it this weekend to see if they changed the IP address of it.

I only had the opportunity of working on Holston Mountain a couple of times when it snowed. I loved it up there, as the scenery was so beautiful around the building I was staying in. While working my relief shifts there, I saw a bear eating his lunch in the middle of the access road, plenty of deer, wild dogs, snakes, skunks, possums and a bobcat. You are really out in the wild on that mountain.

The only animals that gave me any trouble were the two-legged kind who had been drinking. I could never figure out how they navigated that narrow, winding logging dirt road and made it alway to the top without running off the side of the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol