Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 PM

209 posts, read 771,060 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back about moving to Kingsport. After looking at my options, I am considering buying a house in Gray. Is there any areas I should avoid? Maybe there is a better place I should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,030 times
Obviously visit the house and neighborhood before buying, but it's hard to beat Gray - very safe, convenient, and affordable.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM

That is what I hear all the time and it makes me wonder what the area is hiding. Lol

Yeah, I plan to be in the Kingsport area checking up on places to live soon. I would move into an area I haven't checked out.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
I live in Gray and work in Kingsport, great fit...shhh.don't tell anyone else about Gray if you do move here, we kinda like it the way it is. I can't think of anywhere in the Gray area to stay away from except maybe in the "Mouses Ear's" back yard.....and no, not talking about me LOL!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
lmao! FYI, The Mouse's Ear is a strip club in the outskirts of Gray.

If you're into that kind of living (suburban) and/or need to be convenient to both Kingsport and Johnson City, Gray is an excellent location.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM

I use to work at a place near a strip club called the Pink Pony. The running joke was that, after 10PM, all the women coming in with stretch marks and tank-tops was their A-listers. lol

Thank you for the info, again. I'm close to 1000 miles away and am trying to get all the info I can on the area before sending anyone down to check it out. You guys are awesome.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 20,402 times
OK - you're buying a house so that will help. What I'm going to say mainly deals with apartments, trailer parks, etc.

Areas to stay away from in the Gray area -

Buttermilk Road. (Jax Dr. runs off of it)
Oak Grove Road (especially right off the Kingsport Highway and out towards the lake)
Possum Hollow Road
Cedar Creek Road
Couple of sections of Gray Station Road between Food City and Kingsport Highway
Kingsport Highway in General (The Rat's A$$ - I mean Mouse's Ear - is at Bobby Hicks and Kingsport Highway F.Y.I.)
Cedar Valley Blvd off Hales Chapel. (Hales Chapel is a pretty long road so that's just one little section, no biggie. (Dutch Street area off Hales Chapel too, forgot about that one)
Rockingham Road and Boring Chapel have their moments, but out towards the end of Boring Chapel on the lake is pretty nice - but you'll pay for it. (Lakefront property/house = 500,000 and up prices.)

That's all that really sticks out in my head at the moment, but I hope this helps.

Overall Gray is a pretty nice area for the most part with just a few sore spots so to speak. Those of you that are going to say some of these areas are not Gray, they have 37615 zip codes so to me they are still considered Gray.

Good Luck.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM

149 posts, read 411,597 times
Oak Grove Road and Buttermilk road? Really? Surely you're kidding

Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 20,402 times
No I'm not kidding. And it's more sections of the road mainly. It's mainly where the trailer parks and apartments are.

Buttermilk might be ok once you get by the first section of it. (Jax Drive)

Most people think Oak Grove as being somewhat peaceful; however, out towards the lake area it becomes somewhat of a party area, and at the beginning you have Oak Grove Village Trailer park, another trailer park between it and the Kingsport Highway. On the other side of Kpt highway on oak grove is pretty much all major apartment complexes so I would stay away from there too.

I know where the 911 calls originate from and base my opinions off that.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM

149 posts, read 411,597 times
Oak Grove Trailer park is not bad at all. I'm assuming that you've never really been to "the city" before if you think that area is a "bad area". I just moved off oak grove because i was given a house in the city, but prior to moving I had lived on oak grove, down in what you would call the "party area", for two years and never once had any problems. In my opinion, there are no bad parts of gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol