Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 19,166 times

Advertisements

If we want to relocate to the tri-city area - or Abingdon? I know Abingdon has a strong arts community, and Gray has a UU church, and JC seems to be the most culturally diverse.

My kids are 9, 11 & 13 and love books, Lego, science & theatre. I'd like to get them more involved w/ music and theatre, as well. They're not the little league type - my son is a geek to the core (and quite proud of it - he's 9 and informed me over dinner how many feet in a mile - ugh.)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcyndij View Post
If we want to relocate to the tri-city area - or Abingdon? I know Abingdon has a strong arts community, and Gray has a UU church, and JC seems to be the most culturally diverse.

My kids are 9, 11 & 13 and love books, Lego, science & theatre. I'd like to get them more involved w/ music and theatre, as well. They're not the little league type - my son is a geek to the core (and quite proud of it - he's 9 and informed me over dinner how many feet in a mile - ugh.)

Thanks for your help!
Have you considered Asheville, NC? Abingdon does have a strong arts community but it is a small city and is more conservative than liberal imho.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM

I did, especially because of the tech jobs, but my husband has relatives in Kingsport, and wants to be close.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
There aren't many liberals, and even fewer that admit it. Your best shot in the TriCities is the two mile radius around ETSU in Johnson City.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
If you're set on it, check out the Tree Streets in Johnson City (between downtown and ETSU) or possibly Hillrise Park (Hillrise Blvd, Lester Harris Rd., etc.) or the Watauga/Unaka Streets area.

Kingsport is a quick drive to Asheville (two hours tops)....

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcyndij View Post

Thanks for your help!
Yes, I'd agree that the Tree Streets are your best bet to find like-minded people. Several ETSU professors live there.. Don't know about like-minded kids - but if you weren't home-schooling, the neighborhood's Southside School is supposed to be wonderful - also the University School (if you can get in).. Good luck! it's a challenging life for a liberal in JC but there ARE folks who have the same convictions; it's just sometimes hard to find them in one common place. However, the Unitarian Universalist church might be a good place to start!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM

88 posts, read 205,615 times
I too agree with The tree streets area. My son goes to the school in that area. I am a liberal, and would welcome you

Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymom2three View Post
I too agree with The tree streets area. My son goes to the school in that area. I am a liberal, and would welcome you
Sounds like you two should connect! Best of luck with schools and politics...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
I agree with previous posters, if you are looking for a wellspring of like minded liberals, then Asheville, NC is your best bet. Home schoolers are generally a conservative contingent in this country as most public schools are liberal leaning, since you are coming here as a liberal, I assume the desire to home school is to keep from having to socialize with conservatives, that may be incorrect, but is a natural conclusion to draw, no??

Is your husbands desire to be near relatives the only reason to move to a conservative region, knowing you are a liberal? Just saying.

Having said all the above and having had a son go through HS here in East TN, I applaud you wanting to home school, whether or not a lib or conservative, I've not been overly impressed with the school system here and wish my family was able to home school.

Good luck with whatever you do, I wish you the best.

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol