U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,550 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about ready to list our house in WV and move to Bristol, TN, area as my wife has an aunt and cousin closeby there. The way things are now it probably will take some time to sell our current house. Rather than jump into another house right away, we are thinking about renting at least a two bedroom house/townhouse/apartment for the first year instead of buying. Home owernship is not like it use to be. What is the general outlook for rentals in the Bristol, TN, area? Thanks. Jim
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 10,110 times
Thumbs up Bristol housing and perks to living in Bristol

There are lots of things to figure into a decision to live in one place over another. As a former real estate agent from "up north", I found Bristol, quite by accident when searching for housing in and around Kingsport and Indian Springs. On my last day visiting my brother (my reason for coming), a parishioner of his, approached him asking why he hadn't mentioned the home he had for sale in Bristol. We immediately made an appointment to see it. I must say, once I saw the house, I was way mad in love with it, the area and nothing has really changed my mind since moving here. While I am right in the city limits, I feel as if I am in a somewhat countrified setting. My home rests on a large lot that backs up to a creek, is three bricks solid, and has most the amenities I need and want. I have access to good healthcare, shopping is plentiful, I can access the local airport for major flights to ANYWHERE, the cost of living is very low, people are helpful and kind and sweet, its beautiful here and most of all, I can enjoy having a large home that doesn't require a locked gate. I know crime is heavier in Johnson City and Kingsport, along with traffic. I can hop on 81 or 26 pretty easily and go anywhere in the states. This particular area is central to most of the US, enjoys some gorgous views, sporting activities and I get access to first rate entertainment right up the road at Viking Hall. Downtown Bristol plays host to many cultural events, like the now world famous Rhythm and Roots Festival, activities for NASCAR and who can forget the birthplace of country music began here? Also, at least twice a year, NASCAR fans descent on Bristol and empty their pockets and bring their joy for the sport of racing with them. It makes for some fun and interesting times here! I know every town has its pluses and minuses, and if I were a young person, I would probably choose to live in Johnson City, since they have ETSU and other colleges and universities there, not to mention, a very lively and active social scene, with great shopping, and easy access to the Interstates. Kingsport also plays host to many cultural events, has access to the Interstates and airport, but is a slower pace. Unfortunately, the thing that truely turned me off of Kingsport, is the smell from Eastman lingers over the city and just plain gags me! Its just unfortunate that it can't be taken care of, but Kingsport is an Eastman town and it is what it is. That company supports a lot of employees and families in the area. But living anywhere near it was not an option I chose. Being in Bristol has allowed me to take classes at Virginia Highlands that were from Virginis Tech, without having to go to Blacksburg. Given me opportunities is involve myself in some of my favorite things (birdwatching, gardening, art, music and antiques). There are lots of free activities taking place in many beautiful settings. If I want to visit any of the many local parks, like Steele Creek Park which is set in one of the most breath taking spots in Bristol, I can have a lovely picnic for the lowly sum of a $1 there. Or for free at Anderson Park, with its many lovely and varied trees. And many others located around town. Honestly, sometimes I just pinch myself, because I feel as if I have found paridise on earth here. So heres my two cents for Bristol! Hope you pick one that suits you and enjoy it as much as I do!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 150,447 times
I just wanted to say "thanks" to all of you who offered information to this thread. My husband, myself and our two little boys are planning to move south from New Hampshire. We are looking into the tri-cities area. A friend of mine grew up in JC and recommended the area. I am learning a lot from this thread. Thank you!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,877 times
Default Moving to E. Tenn soon

Howdy to all,
We are new to the forum also. We currently reside in the western foothills of Maine near Farmington.

I had the chance to scout out the Bristol and JC area last fall,( actually the end of NOV). We have been researching western Carolina and E. Tenn for 2 yrs now and are ready to jump.

I liked the area and My wife nancy will be driving her Mom's car back from FLA. in early May so she'll get a chance to scope out E.Tenn as well.

She's quiting her job with the State of Maine and we are putting the homestead on the market. Tired of the Snow, lack of opportunty in Northern New England and the politics of failure so pervasive here.

Geographically speaking, the area is beautiful with pristine glacier carved lakes and ponds and mountains but it is expensive to live here. Maine's crushing tax burden doesn't help either. Still there are plenty of Southern New Englanders who can't get enough of government and consider Maine a bargain compared to Massachusetts or Connecticut.

I met a few locals at the Elizabethton CC and yucked it up while on my visit to the Tri- City area. I really enjoyed talking with all the folks I met, they seem to be more friendly and sociable than than the natives of NNE. Sometimes I think it is just me, but my wife Nancy (who is a Maine native) says no. Maine is very provincial even within its self.

We are plannining on leaving Maine around the end of June or July whether the house sells or not. We figure we can rent it if necessary.

Looking forward to new opportunities, lower taxes and a milder climate.
Anyway, I would like to express my thanks for all info and insights posted.

Thanks! Jeff & Nancy

Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,909,649 times
Good move - although the Tri-Cities are certainly "provincial" too - although probably in a different way. This is the *South*, not to be confused with New England in any way - except maybe for the beauty of the countryside - and lower taxes and home prices. (I'm originally a New Englander from Connecticut as are several folks on this forum)

My family spent many summers in Maine on Long Lake (near Sebago) - a family tradition dating back to my dad's days as camp counselor there. With the White Mountains as a backdrop, it is truly beautiful country. But I've also visited my sister there in the winter and I have never been so cold in my life - I shivered and shook the whole time I was there! If you're tired of the cold then this area offers a wonderful alternative. The weather change will be most dramatic in the winter although summers in some areas of the TRI can be a little hot and humid - but not unbearable at least in our area! And none of those big black flies and mosquitoes found by the hoards in Maine!

Best of luck to you in selling your place.. The good selling season is fast approaching!

Last edited by SarahSal; 03-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 8,877 times
Thanks SaraSal,

Nancy is driving through JC area on May 8th, when she returns from Orlando, FLA.

She is spending a night and day at a possible property with our potential Landlord on Boone Lake near the upper end. We are waiting to see some pics of the apt. and the lake. Can't wait! Nancy grew up on Lake Cobossee just outside of Augusta, ME.

We are hoping to find a little piece of mind, longer golf season, decent shopping/dining and entertainment ect., and lest I forget, employment.

Prayers and best wishes are always appreciated!

We are getting pretty excited about making a move.

The last two years have been difficult for Nancy professionally speaking. We just sank 50K into our house plus 1 1/2 yrs of my sweat but we are raedy to make a change nontheless.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 71,816 times
We will be moving somewhere near the tri-cities next year, wondering if mb could tell me if there is a Recreation center that has a water aerobics program in JC or Kingsport ? I need that for my back condition. Also could I call the Chamber of Commerce in both areas to have them send me a county map of the four counties we are interested in ?
Thanks...CL0 ~

Last edited by MrsCL0; 04-11-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 04-11-2009, 08:06 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,796,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCL0 View Post
We will be moving somewhere near the tri-cities next year, wondering if mb could tell me if there is a Recreation center that has a water aerobics program in JC or Kingsport ? I need that for my back condition. Also could I call the Chamber of Commerce in both areas to have them send me a county map of the four counties we are interested in ?
Thanks...CL0 ~
Hi,

You asked about water aerobics last night, and I answered you on this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ml#post8288198

The Chambers of each area would be happy to send maps to you. In the meantime Google Maps has pretty decent maps online.

SMG

Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,577,428 times
Yep, what she said.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
Hey, everyone I'm new to this site, loved all the postings. My brother lives in Greeneville, Tn. and the weather is comparable to our weather here in South Carolina. It snows more there than here though. Not big snows but it snows. The cost of living is somewhat similar there except for all the property taxes that we have to pay here. We have it on our cars, houses, boats and anything else we might own. I'm looking to relocate and retire as well somewhere cheaper. I'm southern to the core. Was born in Kentucky, raised in the south mostly in the Tennessee area. Tazwell, Sevierville, Knoxville, Luttrell and Maryville. Have a couple of friends in the Tri-City area. Maybe someone on this forum could meet up with these folks and give them a tour of the town. That would be a nice southern thing to do. It is difficult moving to a new city/town and not knowing anyone or your way around. I've never heard of disc golfing either. Don't know what it is exactly. Would love to hear from anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol