Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,131 times

Advertisements

mbmouse, one of the pictures on this thread show a lake with a tarred path in front of it, is that a road or a greenway? Is that bays mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
mbmouse, one of the pictures on this thread show a lake with a tarred path in front of it, is that a road or a greenway? Is that bays mountain?
Hi Putty,
If you are referring to the pictures on page 1, that is part of the Holston River. That picture was taken at Laurel Run Park in the Goshin Valley section of Hawkins County, just south and part of Church Hill. It is a walking trail.
If you are referring to the picture of the S. Holston Lake on page 3 of this thread, Tennesseestorm will have to answer as he is more familiar with that area that I am and he took that picture.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,498 times
There is one really big reason that Bristol is out of the running, we are very much into playing Disc Golf & Bristol doesn't have a Disc Golf course. We wouldn't really want to have to make the drive to JC or KP from there on a daily basis to play. I also like that Kingport has a greenway for walking or biking. I believe they also have a good deal of shopping & eating places. Other then what I mentioned, Bristol would have been a consideration. By the way, the pictures are appreciated, as cold as it is here right now, they look very inviting Love seeing those mountians in the background!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I see. Well I must be a real idiot (or need to get out more), because honestly, I have never even heard of disc golf!

Just to mention though, Bristol has a nice greenway as well for walking and biking, but not sure how it compared to the one in Kingsport.

Also a note of interest, at the base of the dam (in that lake photo), there is a area called the "Weir" dam (SP?), that has a little island in the middle of the river, with a nice nature walking trail. Its gravel and pretty level. See alot of wildlife and there a marsh area as well thats neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
There is one really big reason that Bristol is out of the running, we are very much into playing Disc Golf & Bristol doesn't have a Disc Golf course. We wouldn't really want to have to make the drive to JC or KP from there on a daily basis to play. I also like that Kingport has a greenway for walking or biking. I believe they also have a good deal of shopping & eating places. Other then what I mentioned, Bristol would have been a consideration. By the way, the pictures are appreciated, as cold as it is here right now, they look very inviting Love seeing those mountians in the background!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post

If you are referring to this photo, this is actually a 2-lane paved road that is the road that leads up to the top of the South Holston Dam. It just looks small because its so high up. I am not sure though if thats the road you are referring to or not. ?? Maybe you mean one in MBs photos?

If you are referring to this one... I have no clue.... I think MB explained that one.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-19-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 AM

11 posts, read 23,579 times
i moved here from nashville and found kingsport and bristol - scruffy
the homes are cheaper in kingsport for a reason - people are attracted to johnson city for the college and it has alot more to offer - kingsport has gotten more recently but a backyard burger can't stay in business/ cootie browns is thinking of shutting it's doors ....it has problems - young people are moving out of kingsport , i would be scared of resale on a home in kingsport it has no draw - as you can see this board is slanted - ummmmm no johnson city pictures - well surprise .... the cities dislike each other strage because they are so small but true

Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 AM

383 posts, read 919,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLABLOVER View Post
i moved here from nashville and found kingsport and bristol - scruffy
the homes are cheaper in kingsport for a reason - people are attracted to johnson city for the college and it has alot more to offer - kingsport has gotten more recently but a backyard burger can't stay in business/ cootie browns is thinking of shutting it's doors ....it has problems - young people are moving out of kingsport , i would be scared of resale on a home in kingsport it has no draw - as you can see this board is slanted - ummmmm no johnson city pictures - well surprise .... the cities dislike each other strage because they are so small but true

scruffy - that would be a nice description for many parts of nashville also. I think there may be some animosity between some in the cities but overall they each are unique and have something to offer. I live in JC but often eat and shop in bristol and kingsport. JC, imo, is probably the cleanest of the 3 but there are fine areas all over NE TN..

Not sure what photos have to do with the issue.....?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
There are lots of pictures of Kingsport on here, just not on the first page of threads at the moment. Lots of folks inquiring about it as well.
This is your first post here. I have been involved with City-Data and answering questions for folks on here for well over a year, almost 2 now.....trust me there is just about as much interest in Kingsport as Johnson City, abet a little less in Bristol. There is also a lot interest and questions about Greeneville, Telford, Jonesborough, Elizabethton, Erwin...all over the area really.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,498 times
People move in & out of places for so many different reasons, just like one persons trash is anothers treasure. I for one am not looking to move somewhere that does have a lot of young people. I am looking for things that both Johnson City & Kingsport seem to offer. I don't think there is any one perfect place. We'd all be able to find something to complain about, and we do. From everything I've researched, both cities offer more of what we're looking for in retirement then what we have here in Madison, Wi, especially a lower cost of living overall. A visit there will help us make a more informed decision, as well as the continued information everyone has to say, positive or negative. I'm sure most of you who would never want to trade your beautiful weather there for our six months of frigid cold here

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

41 posts, read 203,098 times
Not to be negative BUT.......We lived in Bristol for 20 years and we had our house on the market for 11 months before we finally took a loss and sold it (bristol). 2100 sq ft brick ranch (built in 1960 back when houses were built solid, fireplace in the kitchen and knotty pine paneling that sat on 1 acre of land). We moved to Greeneville, Tn and LOVE it!!!!!!! So beautiful here and the people are truely friendly. Schools are much better also in my opinion. And in Greeneville you can't escape ever seeing a mountain!!!!! Just a thought....look at Greeneville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol