Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 PM

365 posts, read 1,006,172 times

Advertisements

In response to checking out Greenville vs Bristol, neither place offers what we require...a disc golf course. Greenville isn't very close to a large metropolitan city, therefore I doubt it would offer the shopping opportunites I'd be looking for. the property crime on a scale of 1-10 is a 6, which is kind of high for a population of only 15,537. The comfort index in the summer shows that it might be a bit too uncomfortable for me as far as humidity goes. Having no snow at all sounds good right now, but a little never hurt anything, especially if it's cold enough in winter to have some. Bristol most likely isn't the city I'd choose, since I believe there would be more interest in either Johnson City or Kingsport for the things they have to offer. They have mountains as well.
Thanks for the input though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
The snow differences between the Tri-Cities and Greeneville are minute; it does snow a bit more up here but in general we're talking about 1/8 to 1/2 an inch.

Also, the population of Greeneville is a bit misleading; their city boundaries are drawn strangely. It is larger, for all practical purposes than 15,000 souls.

(That having been said, I agree - I'd prefer to live in Johnson City, then Jonesborough, then Grey or Kingsport)

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Jabogitlu....
A site I frequent quite often(can't mention here) states that the snow amount in Greenville is 0, Kingsport 12.3", Johnson City 4.1". To me, that is a difference As well, I assume the summer would be more uncomfortable in Greenville, do to the humidity(elevation differences).
I'm curious, why would you choose to live in Johnson City vs Kingsport?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM

506 posts, read 1,464,703 times
There is a disc golf course in Greene County; actually a couple. One is private and one is public. I've only played the public one (Nolichucky Bluffs) though, and it isn't great. I've heard the private one is nice, however, with concrete tees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
Jabogitlu....
A site I frequent quite often(can't mention here) states that the snow amount in Greenville is 0, Kingsport 12.3", Johnson City 4.1". To me, that is a difference As well, I assume the summer would be more uncomfortable in Greenville, do to the humidity(elevation differences).
I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but the difference is truly not that much. I've lived in both Greeneville and Jonesborough/Johnson City, and it was about the same. They are only 20-30 minutes away...it won't be a big deal.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM

AppalachianAngler....
It just seems to me that the tri-city areas have more to offer overall. As well, If I want a break on paying sales tax, there is always the short trip into Va.
I'd prefer to be about 15 min. away from what would be our "home" disc golf course, as we are right now. We would be playing every day we could, weather permitting
We would be coming from a city with a population of 250,000, which is comfortable to me. I think I could live with a pop. figure of 44,000, being close to another city with close to a 60,000 pop. Greensville with a pop. of 15,000 & not close to a larger city, just doesn't interest me as much. I like having conveniences close by

Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
Quote:
Jabogitlu....
Not sure where they took those measurements <g> As a resident of the various NETN areas for 20 years, I can tell you that the snow differences just aren't that great -- especially not a foot. Nor are the summers all that different. Kingsport to Greeneville is 20-30 minutes (via Kpt Hwy) and JC to Greeneville is about the same. They're all close enough to share the same weather patterns.

As far as Johnson City versus Kingsport, Johnson City has always felt to me more like a true city. Kingsport has made some huge strides in the past few years, with the redevelopment of their urban centre and the opening of Target, Kohl's, etc. But for me, one city-dweller (I truly prefer Knoxville or Asheville), JC is closer to my style of living. More diversity and openness, shared cultures, etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM

jabogitlu....
As far as the weather, it's my understanding that JC & Kingsport have better weather due to the fact they are in the valley, surrounded by the mountains. By better weather, I mean less humidity in the summer & mild winters. Would that not be a factor?

I do believe that Johnson City might offer more things of interest then Kingsport, but the fact that we will be living on a fixed income, Kingsport's median home cost & overall cost of living is much less then Johnson City. I also like the fact that Kingport has a greenway for biking & walking.
I see you prefer living in a larger city, although there is quite a difference in population between Knoxville & Asheville. I wouldn't be very happy about living in either of those places due to the traffic & higher rate of crime. If we all liked the same things, we'd all be living in the same place.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 178,439 times
First time poster. My husband and I are both retired and living in Arizona. We will be moving to Eastern TN this year in order to be closer to our kids (one in NYC and one in Miami!).

Anyway, have enjoyed these blogs on the Tri-Cities in helping us decide where to move...however, I have one favor of mbmouse or anyone else...this thread has great pics of Bristol and Kingsport and other areas, but not of Johnson City.

In order to compare all 3, (as asked in the thread title) would someone please post some pics of JC so all 3 "larger" cities/towns are covered.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,112,207 times
I am not sure of that source, but " 0 " in Greeneville is wrong. Its only about 30 miles from Johnson City and only about 400 ft. lower in elevation. "4.1" in JC is also misleading, although over the past few winters, that is more like it. Officially its about 15 inches for the Tri-Cities. Kingsport is actually much lower in elevation than Johnson City and typically a little warmer. Kingsport down through Rogersville is the "lower" locations in NE TN. Bristol is about the same elevation as Johnson City and is also between mountains. If you noticed on the downtown Bristol photos, there is a nice view of Holston Mountain to the south of Bristol. Its not until you get up toward Marion and points north and northeast that you get into typically higher snowfalls. I have seen countless times when it has been raining in Bristol, but snowing in Marion or Abingdon, which are 2300 ft (Marion) and 2100 ft (Abingdon) respectively, vs 1600 ft in Bristol and JC and 1200 in Kingsport (in the low spots).

Quote:
Jabogitlu....

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-31-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,112,207 times
Hello and welcome! I do not recall who sent me this link, but I think I was in contact with them somewhere on here. I do not think they would mind me posting this link.... here is a link to tons of photos of Johnson City! Enjoy! I must say however, some of the residential photos appear to be of more dismal areas.

johnson_city_tennessee Photo Gallery by lsyd at pbase.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAZTeacher View Post
First time poster. My husband and I are both retired and living in Arizona. We will be moving to Eastern TN this year in order to be closer to our kids (one in NYC and one in Miami!).

Anyway, have enjoyed these blogs on the Tri-Cities in helping us decide where to move...however, I have one favor of mbmouse or anyone else...this thread has great pics of Bristol and Kingsport and other areas, but not of Johnson City.

In order to compare all 3, (as asked in the thread title) would someone please post some pics of JC so all 3 "larger" cities/towns are covered.

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol