Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,265 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that info mbmouse. That's also good to know, since I'd prefer having more then one choice. I guess one thing I can do, is check online the houses that are for sale in both places in the price range we'll be looking for, to see if you get pretty much the same house for the same price.
I look foward to our visit later on in the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
No, that is not the norm... those photos appear to have been taken in the early to mid afternoon hours. Evening traffic is much worse... In JC, N. State of Franklin is quite busy, in Kingsport, Stone Drive can get congested and in Bristol, Volunteer PKWY can get busy, especially when schools letting out and around 5:30 and especially the Exit 7 I-81 area in Bristol, VA, gets very congested. Traffic gets backed up like crazy at certain hours. Linden Drive, Bonham Rd, Lee Hwy gets quite congested. Some people may think that its only Johnson City and Kingsport gets congested with traffic, but thats not the case.... its bad at times in Bristol as well... in some areas, much worse, like areas I mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
While looking at all the pictures posted from JC & Kingsport, I noticed that there hardly ever seems to be much traffic (except the pics on the highway). Is that the norm there, because I kind of expected it to be a bit more populated then what the pics seem to show. With all the shopping & eating options I've read about, I expected it to be more busy there on the road. Maybe I just need to see pics of the parking lots at the mall, Target, Kohls & Walmart.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 02-04-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
DLK had asked about traffic patterns in the Tri-Cities. I've just uploaded a few pix into an albu and a couple, imo, exemplify normal traffic, at least in JC and probably in Kingsport and Bristol as well.

Picasa Web Albums - Jabogitlu - Johnson City ... (broken link)

And more specifically:

ETA: And an old one, traffic around the Med Center & ETSU in the afternoon: Picasa Web Albums - Jabogitlu - Johnson City ... (broken link)

Of course, these are all main thoroughfares through the city, and as such, are subject to the ebb and flow of traffic patterns. Once you get off these streets onto some side roads (except main connectors, like Tennessee Street) there's hardly any traffic at all.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM

227 posts, read 720,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Of course, these are all main thoroughfares through the city, and as such, are subject to the ebb and flow of traffic patterns. Once you get off these streets onto some side roads (except main connectors, like Tennessee Street) there's hardly any traffic at all.
I think a person's idea of traffic congestion is relative to where they have lived in the past. I hear people born and raised here talk about how bad the traffic is. Yes, it has gotten heavier over the last few years, but as Jabogitlu said, you find ways to avoid those areas and times by taking back streets. When I lived in the metro Atlanta area I was 35 miles from my office. On a good day it took an hour to get there. Most days a little longer. One day I sat on the interstate for 2 hours. To me, that is traffic congestion!! I couldn't wait to move back to the Tri-Cities!!!!!

DLK, when you visit I think you will find that there are definite distinctions between Johnson City and Kingsport. When we moved here in 1997 I wouldn't even consider moving to Kingsport and chose Johnson City for shopping, restaurants, and newer homes. Now, I would consider Kingsport. We go over there to shop, eat and walk along the greenbelt. I really enjoy walking thru their downtown area. Again, what a person likes is all relative. Either way, I think you'll enjoy visiting the Tri-Cities area!!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM

jabogitlu... Thanks so much for the pics of traffic patterns That looks a bit more "normal" to me.
I must ask, what kind of sports car are you driving? Is it a Mustang by chance? I hope that was your passenger taking those pictures & not you, I sure wouldn't want to be held responsible for an accident because you were taking those pictures for me

dcommander... I look foward to our visit to check out the areas It seems that Kingsport has a little more to offer then JC as far as our interests. It's nice to know that we do have more then one option though. I've been communicating with someone who lives in Gray, and it appears that Gray has alot to offer for it's size. I'm not sure if it's our speed or not though as far as a place to live. It's pretty close to the middle travel distance wise to the disc golf courses in JC & KP. I'm assuming that a person could probably get more house for the money there, then JC or KP.
Here's a question... Is the no smoking policy in effect for both JC & KP? Next question... any suggestions about the best time to visit between June & Sept. for any reason?
I can see our biggest issue will be the flight over there from where we live right now. It would cost much less if we lived in Milwaukee or Chicago & flew into Ashville NC or Nashville Tn. There is a price difference of about $300 per person round trip. We may have to put up with a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hr. drive to save the big bucks

Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
We may have to put up with a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hr. drive to save the big bucks
If you can, just fly into Asheville, NC and drive up on I-26 to Johnson City. It is only about an hour and it is a beautiful drive with hardly any traffic.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
I must ask, what kind of sports car are you driving? Is it a Mustang by chance? I hope that was your passenger taking those pictures & not you, I sure wouldn't want to be held responsible for an accident because you were taking those pictures for me
It is, I drive a 2007 GT! No, I take all my pictures on the fly, one eye ahead, one eye in the lens. Though if I did have a passenger (or better, a driver) I could probably take better pictures!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
It is, I drive a 2007 GT! No, I take all my pictures on the fly, one eye ahead, one eye in the lens. Though if I did have a passenger (or better, a driver) I could probably take better pictures!!!
LOL! I do the same thing hahahaha I also noticed and asked about the Mustang awhile back too. We have a 94 cobra and a bit jealous of Jabogitlu's brand new GT hahahhaahaha

Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM

15 posts, read 41,883 times
Default First Timer

Really enjoy the info on the area and now have a question. I'll be returning from overseas soon and after 20-some years away from my childhood home of Salem, Va. I feel I would like to live in this area. Salem is beautiful but just over-crowded for my taste. Looking to settle my family with good schools and employment opportunities. Would appreciate any details.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Well, since we're talking about our cars.... I drive an '01 Tiburon with less then 34k mi. on it Ok, the two of you can stop LOL!! I'm not jealous because my car is paid off & gets better gas mileage
I have white wheels that can only be left on half of the year here. If I were there, I could leave them on year round. That I am jealous of! I guess I'm just a little off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol