Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,596 times

Advertisements

Anyone know a good small engine repair person or shop here in Johnson city or Jonesborough, that doesn't charge an arm and leg?

I totally blew the whole maintenance cycle (winter storage) on my small engine items and need some work done on them, Generator, Tiller, Mower.

Thanks

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,721 times
If you don't locate someone nearby, you might check out Small Engine & Mower Repair on Colonial Heights Road (in Colonial Heights). It has been operated for many (30+) years by David Edgell who has always been highly regarded.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I totally forgot to do PMS on the small engine stuff this winter, generator won't start now and I haven't tried the tiller yet, gotta start tilling up the soil soon.

Tony

Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,842 times
Default Check your inbox....

We can help if you are interested. I didn't know what all I was allowed to post as far as business info on here.

BTW, David Edgell recently had surgery and is recovering so keep him in your prayers.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
We can help if you are interested. I didn't know what all I was allowed to post as far as business info on here.

BTW, David Edgell recently had surgery and is recovering so keep him in your prayers.
Thanks, sent you a DM.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Tony...take air cleaner off, choke open, spray a little "carburator cleaner" in....wait a minute or two, close choke and start.....

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
Cherokee Small Engine Repair in Jonesborough, TN.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM

433 posts, read 532,564 times
Tony:
There's a product called "Start Your Engines" that is made by Gold Eagle, the same company that makes "Sta-bil" additives. I never used the stuff but, it seems like it might be right up your alley. They have it at Walmarts on Volunteer Parkway. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM

295 posts, read 750,474 times
Small engines on mowers/tillers are quite forgiving and just dumping the old gas out of the tank and replacing it with fresh will often be all it needs to fire up. Turn the thing over dumping the OLD gas out into a tray/dish/roaster pan and pour it into a jar. {you can pour a little of the old gas back in the tank from time to time to burn it off later in the season} while you're upending the thing you might as well empty the old oil out of the crankcase which if you're like most of us you can't rightly remember if or when you ever replaced it and add new motor oil to replace the molasses that's probably in there now. Small motors almost always take any old 30w oil and you fill it up to the notch that you'll see inside the filler/drain plug and that's good enough, if there's actually a dipstick then fill it to in between the notches on the dipstick. Clean the spark plug with emory paper or better yet, just get a new one for a few bucks at the big box stores. If the air cleaner looks like a oil soaked fur coat adn you can't clean it off with some gasoline and a rag then pitch it too and buy a new one and shoot a shot of any brand carb cleaner into the carb intake. Add new gas, new plug, choke it and crank it over a dozen times and I'd bet you 20 bucks it will fire up and run. About the only thing else that can go wrong on those stupid/simple machines is a clogged fuel filter or fuel line and most of the time just cranking fresh gasoline through them will get them to fire up again. This is the same thing that any repair place will do for you and you may have to wait for weeks until they get around to looking at your engine since spring is their busy season.
Another product I religiously believe in is Seafoam.
Sea Foam | Motor Treatment
I run a can of it through my motorcycle every spring after it has sat dormant to remove the shellac that forms from the old gasoline.
Good luck, I bet you can fix it yourself without getting in line at a small motor repair shop for their attentions.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 03-30-2011 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol