Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,598,269 times

Advertisements

Ruby Tuesday has bought the JC Stir Fry and will change it into one of their Wok Hay concepts.

Two things I don't understand:
1. Stir Fry sell in a wildly successful location.
2. Ruby Tuesday buying a sushi place only to turn it into a pan-asian place. Why not lease an empty building or build to suit?

I looked at the Wok Hay menu ... it just doesn't get me excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,116,189 times
Supposedly Ruby Tuesday is aggressively marketing/expanding with their Wok Hay concept.

Stir Fry seems to be pretty entrepreneurial in spirit (opening in downtown Kinsgport, opening 112 Downtown in Johnson City). According to their Facebook, they're opening 'something new' (potentially a Stir Fry in a new location).

I wonder if their new development is gonna be in or near downtown? I'm pretty excited about that idea.

I also honestly think that the Barnes & Noble center has some issues. There's not nearly enough parking, rent may be pretty high, and over the next 10-15 years development is going to start occuring closer-in to South Johnson City, around downtown. Maybe Stir Fry is just ahead of the curve?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,598,269 times
True. If Stir Fry moves locations, they may have hit the jackpot. I don't understand it from Ruby's perspective. They freaked out about rent at their JC mall location. I think a Wok Hay would have made sense there. ???

Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,349,168 times
The Kingsport Stir Fry will remain open and run by the existing company. Yay!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM

7,504 posts, read 17,116,189 times
I'm glad it will remain, along with the original Knoxville location (not Turkey Creek, which is also being converted into Wok Hay), which leads me to believe that Stir Fry is looking to get away from neo-traditional open air, big box developments and out of potentially sky high lease agreements.

Makes business sense to me. Like rccrain, I don't really get it from Ruby Tuesday's perspective. I guess they're hoping the built-in customer base will remain loyal?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM

423 posts, read 1,398,882 times
Bummer. We really liked Stir Fry. Their food was of good quality, the atmosphere and music were trendy, and it seemed to draw a more classy crowd on the weekends. I'm sorry to see it go.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM

35 posts, read 81,055 times
Default What happened to Stir-Fry in J.C.?

Place was always packed...now its been renamed WokHey? Anybody know whats up with the new name?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM

510 posts, read 1,377,969 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...ught-ruby.html

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM

178 posts, read 441,867 times
Darn! A chain. My Mom called me last week and said there was a big 'Now Open' banner at Stir Fry with a new name of Wok Hey, and invited us over to eat. So we jump in the car and go and walk up to the door and it says in little tiny print 'Open in June'.

And I have to say I'm even more disappointed that they are being bought by anything like Ruby Tuesday - prepackaged food that all they have to do is heat it up...rotten tomatoes and slimy lettuce on the salad bar on multiple occasions, and a few stomach aches after eating there and we said goodbye to Ruby forever.

All this talk of Asian food has me in the mood to go over to Elizabethton and eat at Red Chili. YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol