Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a great idea gone awry. Not my cup o' tea, but I see where such a thing could be very beneficial to downtown business owners. Personally, I'd like to observe (perhaps through rooftop dining) thousands of out-of-shape folks chasing each other around.

Is there any chance that improvements are made and this becomes an annual event? Other thoughts?

Links for those that are thinking "What the heck is a zombie tag?"

Article 1: Zombie tag event set for tonight in Johnson City - Kingsport Times-News Online
Article 2: Downtown zombie tag event a record-breaker
Article 3: Horde in 'zombie tag' stirs Johnson City safety scare » Knoxville News Sentinel
Youtube: YouTube - "Survive Johnson City" Zombie Tag 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM

243 posts, read 692,559 times
I had friends who went to it. . . they didn't really mention anything about safety. They saw 2-3 people run out into traffic, but you'll have idiots no matter where you go. Although, I don't understand why they didn't block off the entire "course." Was it the cost? My friends has a lot of fun, but complained about the cheaters and the checkpoint situation. A few of them made it to a checkpoint and no one was there. So, yeah, they would definitely need more organization. I think it is a fun idea. Who doesn't like a game of tag? Reminds me of being 10 again.

I love the "news" video of the police officer citing safety concerns with people falling. . . .um, I could fall walking down the stairs. It made me laugh, especially when they never really talk about safety concerns with Blue Plum. Oh well. . .I guess the term "zombie tag" rubs people the wrong way.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,596 times
I thought it was awesome, come up with a low cost, fun, interesting idea and get the area famous for something (guiness world book of records). Everyone doesn't need to be baby sat at all times.......just wish I had went. Good job JC, have fun, life is short!!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I was there! It was fun, but a bit chaotic. Honestly I think having it on First Friday was a mistake. There were people all over the place and nobody knew who was playing and who wasn't. The course was much too large and nobody knew where any checkpoints were - we eventually stumbled upon most of them, but by that point we were already zombified.

And yeah, they didn't block enough streets off. They expected thousands of people, and blocked off Main street. Wow, big deal. Buffalo especially needed to be blocked.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
There were people all over the place and nobody knew who was playing and who wasn't.
That thought crossed my mind. A poor innocent shmuc (wearing the wrong color shirt) stops to tie his shoe on Market St. A mob appears behind him. "Get him", they yell!

It would be like one of those British "candid camera" shows ... like this
YouTube - JFL Hidden Camera Pranks & Gags: Huge Red Flag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol