Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Sure was rough for most of us here in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia with the storms on April 9. Did you see any damage in your area? Rogersville had hail stones the size of baseballs! (pics below). Here in Bristol we had wind damage(downed trees and power lines). Last nights storms also bad in VA, as a tornado hit Pulaski, VA. I heard that Johnson City had downed trees.

Hail stone in Rogersville!

Mammatus clouds from my house...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM

178 posts, read 444,136 times
Here in South JC, we had it bad. I have several shingles ripped off my roof, nails and all! Lots of downed trees, including a very large, old one a block away, that was uprooted. We didn't get much hail here, but we had tornado sirens and horrible wind! We were headed to the basement with the dogs suddenly the storm was gone. But I gotta say, the scariest part was when we heard a Xylophone in the Sky and a message being repeated over and over. It was like a scene from LOST. I thought a tornado was coming, but turns out it was ETSU's PA system saying 'all clear. resume activities.' - I've lived here on the tree streets for 10 years and never heard that!

A neighbor says that they thought a tornado touched down by the VA, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM

178 posts, read 444,136 times
Oh yeah, I talked to the owners of The Dining Room (Cuban restaurant in Jonesborough) and all of their outdoor seating was blown in to the road. The police had to block traffic for clean up. A lot of downtown Jonesborough ended up without power, but I don't think there was serious damage.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 PM

218 posts, read 417,090 times
North J.C. was without power for over 2 hrs. I heard that a straight line wind came down Hwy. 11 E by Minga Road and there were big trees down. Hard wind and rain up by Med Tech parkway, but did not see hail. New hospital was running on generator.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Wow, sounds like some areas hit hard! After I watched WJHL news, that became more clear.

Has anyone seen this? It was on Nathans facebook, a video today of a tornado in Johnson City! Has anyone already seen this?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot..._M4?feat=email

Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
There were various funnel clouds spotted here in Greene County too (by friends of mine so I'm sure it was true, or at least they appeared to be rotational!). We have lots of downed trees, hail and flooding. No bueno.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 AM

243 posts, read 692,363 times
The VA was hit hard. We were driving back from a friends and saw all of it. It definitely looked like more than just your typical wind damage. A lot of old trees are gone or the tops of them are gone. There was random sheet metal twisted in some of the trees and wires as well.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM

107 posts, read 257,878 times
I heard the sirens and PA system, I live behind Freedom Hall. It was extremely loud but I could not understand what they were saying. I heard the 'all clear' afterwards, but did not understand the tornado warning that came before it. It was barely sprinkling at my house and I stood on the front porch with my dog wondering what all the ruckus was about. At one point during the siren, it sounded like the musical notes from the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind. That left a lot to the imagination, lol.

I had no idea anything happened until I drove through the VA today. I have never in my life seen so much massive tree damage! It was unbelievable. Huge, thick trees, with their tops broken off like toothpicks, or uprooted from the ground. It didn't seem real. I couldn't even count how many trees were down.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Lots of personal property and structural damage to the VA property. A large number of 100 year old trees down, plus some younger trees. These trees crushed many cars, several of the nurses cars were totaled, some just damaged. Several buildings had damage, windows blown out, roofs damaged, trees everywhere. Hard to believe this much damage from just wind.

There was at least one confirmed tornado near Jonesborough, I don't know if the damage to the VA was tornado related or not. No personnel injuries at the VA that I know of, just cars crushed.

Officials trying to determine if more tornadoes touched down in region

Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Hard to believe this much damage from just wind.
I can believe it. Having been through 'Hurricane Elvis' in Memphis I found out just how devastating straight line winds can be. It took the power company two weeks to restore power to my street after that storm, and I feel like I got off light compared to what some of my neighbors went through.
I guess I lucked out on this one, haven't seen any damage at all from Saturday's storm in the areas I frequent, and the power only flickered off at the house for a few moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol