Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 11:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to find any information on zoning and residential construction inspections by country personnel. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before we make it back there . . . you know, fore warned is fore armed.

In the county areas, outside of the city limits, is there any zoning? The alternative is that it's like NC (i.e., Asheville area) where there's an auto repair shop, next to a residential trailer, next to a gas station, next to a house, next to a heavy equipment company . . . you get the idea. Do the Tri-City counties designate Ag areas, single family residential areas, multifamily residential areas, commercial areas, and industrial areas, or do they just let things pop up wherever they desire?

The other issue has to do with residential building standards. Are there any established standards, required to get a permit, in the area and is there any oversite and inspection by county personnel? We've been places where the builders' electrical work is inspected but everything else is done on a promise.

If the different building stages are inspected, like framing, electrical, plumbing, etc., was there a point in time when that started in E. Tenn? In other words, was there ever a time when older homes wern't inspected, and about when did the inspections start? I understand that when we go far into the past, inspections will be non existant no matter where we look. However, some places will have adopted inspections more recently.

Thanks for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Hi Garth,
I am looking into links for you and will post what I find later in the day.
I have run into issues where my clients have added onto there house, thought they didn't need a permit, didn't get one. When they went to refinance their house, the lender made the appraiser take the added square footage off because he could not produce a permit and inspection certificate. So their house was devalued because of it.
There ARE areas that are "restricted" which could mean no business or mobile homes, or not one but ok for the other and Visa-versa. That I do know, but where in the counties, I am not sure, I am hoping I can find links to maps or written clarification for you, I have calls into the few surrounding counties here and waiting for call backs. As soon as I find out, I will post them.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,455 times
Thumbs up GARTH --Great insight...

Here I am worrying about the air and the school ect...I never thought about zoning laws! That was a great question! I do hope more people post information regarding this issue (I'm waiting for mbmouse's response) it will be very helpful!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Zoning links

OK, I found a few links that MIGHT shed some light on your questions. I don't know which county you are looking to build in, but here are a few in the Tri-City areas. In TN, most everything goes by county first, then town (government ,chambers of commerce, etc.) so you will want to look up the web site for the county not the city or town, you are wanting to build or buy in for zoning laws. Hope these help!

http://www.sullivancounty.org/planning.htm scroll down to New Zoning Resolutions 3 Sections Listed Below

http://rhost1.zfx.com/OZXmp/washingt...KIT=3134446212 This one has a phone number for zoning in Washington Co.

http://www.johnsoncitytn.com/Planning/ (broken link) Johnson City zoning info

http://www.cartercountytn.com/business/zoning.html (broken link) Carter County

http://cadescoveplanning.com/zoning/...n/countyhm.htm Knox County

I hope these help and answer your questions. If you are looking for a different town or county, let me know and I'll see what I can find

Heathersmom, this is all I could find about Pikeville and Bledsoe Co.
http://www.pikeville-bledsoe.com/development_gov_county.htm (broken link)
I think it is cute that the property assessor there is named "Winky".......not kidding, look! hehehheheheh But there are numbers you can call to find out about zoning, I did see that all of Pikeville is zoned as "industrial" which usually means a business can be constructed anywhere in the town limits.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times
Wow!!! Thanks mbmouse! You've been a great help with all of my questions on this board. I appreciate the effort you've put in. Thanks again and now I'm off to check out the links.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM

Any time, I am happy to help. I just hope those links are actually what you were looking for? Please let me know.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:03 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,455 times
Thumbs up mbmouse....

Thanks again for all of your help! I am finishing up a few paint projects on our home right now to get it ready to put on the WNY market...wish me luck!
Winky...hopefully his personality is as fun as his name?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM

Good Luck! I feel ya, I am selling one now, in Greene County, we don't need two houses now that we are married hahahahhaa ( I actually moved out of it a year and a half ago and had it leased out....BIG mistake! hahahahaha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol