Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 133,347 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for mountain land and came across very cheap Sneedville property. What is wrong with the area, why is it so cheap? Will this be the new Western NC soon? Is it a good time to buy? Anywhere else in East TN this cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstLookin View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for mountain land and came across very cheap Sneedville property. What is wrong with the area, why is it so cheap? Will this be the new Western NC soon? Is it a good time to buy? Anywhere else in East TN this cheap?

Sneedville is in a rural area of northeast Tennessee near the Kentucky/Virginia state line. If you search for it on Mapquest, you will see that Sneedville is not close to any larger town or city. That is likely why you are finding that land is less expensive there. Land near larger cities such as Knoxville, Chattanoga, or Nashville will be more costly.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM

283 posts, read 899,893 times
We looked at some land around Sneedville. It was pretty darn vertical if I remember correctly, and equally remote. You need to check out the exact property you are interested in. I remember a picture I saw of one piece of land, looked like it would be reasonable, but when we got there discovered they had taken the picture of the view not of the property, and the only flat area was the railroad bed that ran across the front of the property. Another one, they took the pic from the top of the property, and it was pretty much a cliff. I still can't figure out how they got up to it.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 133,347 times
Vertical! funny!!! Yes I do need to check Sneedville out I guess! I haven't been on here lately. But I have expanded my search to other areas of East Tennessee. There's a lot of "cheap" stuff out there right now.
Sassykat&joe have you found anything yet?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 PM

22 posts, read 73,403 times
As stated before Sneedville is in the middle of nowhere... about an hour outside of JC, Kingsport, or Knoxville... and it is not connected to any city by interstate... just state routes.

Oh, and parts are in the "hills"... hope you enjoy snow and ice.

Nice place though if you want peace and quiet and don't want the luxuries of living around cities.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM

283 posts, read 899,893 times
Jstlookin, yep, we found a lovely place, outside of La Follette. Only about 3 miles off the valley highway, great view of the Cumberland mountains, and only about 45 minutes to the northern end of Knoxville. Got a pic of the snow we had early this month - don't know how to make it a big pic, darnit!
Attached Thumbnails
Why is land in Sneedville, TN so cheap?-firstsnow09.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol