Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM

383 posts, read 918,560 times

Advertisements

forgot to mention...once you have the beer in hand, travel right around the block to the aforementioned butcher and have them cut you some 2" thick steaks of your choice.

There are few things better then a huge grilled steak, charred on the outside, rare on the inside, with some twice cooked fries soaking up the steak juice, and a Rogue Mocha Porter to wash it down.

dang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

227 posts, read 719,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Can't believe I missed this place, can you give me a name? I love a good place with a good beer selection. What is HAC? The only local breweries I know of are Depot Street (Jonesborough) and Highland (Asheville), without mentioning the multiple ones in Knoxville.
I believe the beer store is Libation Station and the liquor store is Plaza Package Store.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,134 times
Default quality meat market

hi everyone
i owned a complete meat packing facility in ohio. last friday it caught fire and burned to the ground. we carried alot of homemade items such as bologna hotdog brats ham bacon etc. we did all the smoking ourself using real hickory wood and open flame smokehouse. we had several different flavors of brats we made such as green onion, jalapino, tomato basil, and many more things as well.
well to get to my question, i would like to ask all who view this to tell me "do you think a meats shop such as this, with only a retail meats would be accepted by the community. do you think it would survive.
i come to kingsport from time to time and would love to live there. please help me answer this question.
respectfully
fred

Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Fred,
If you don't, i will.
One of the constants on all of the threads here is a clamboring for a deli/butcher/market in the JC area.
I am just on my way into JC, and will certainly be looking for many of the things which people ask about in this forum. Meats, cheeses, specialty foods....the things you would find in a good 'italian' butcher or deli shop.
It seems to me that the eclectic nature of the JC community would embrace a shop of this kind. People from many backgrounds, cultures and ethnic orientation come to the JC area. Many of them bring substantial incomes with them...and they will be looking (according to this forum, they already are!) for quality meats, produce and assorted specialty foods.
The questions i have are whether people will drive to 'find you'; will others copy the idea after seeing the success; will places like Kroger start to stock a better quality (they are the best around now) of meats; and can you find suppliers who will provide product at something approaching prices which will allow you to make a living.
Seems like it is worth looking in to..and if you don't, i just might.

TB

Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Will - yes!!!!!!!!! Build it and they will come! You might want to contact mbmouse or the store, Korner-Copia, in Kingsport for some tips and inside information.

Ted - there is a butcher shop in Boones Creek area that is very good but what you are proposing would still be VERY welcome in JC.

Let us know how we can help with either or both cities/ventures.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM

110 posts, read 229,368 times
I moved to Johnson City from northwest Florida about 3 years ago. In Florida just about every weekend I would drive over to a shop in Alabama that did their own butchering of fresh meat. Since moving here I haven't found anything that even comes close to the taste of that meat. This astounds me because this is much more of an agricultural area than where I came from, yet the meat was so much better there. As it stands now, we buy our steaks and such at Sams Club because it's the best we can find at this point. I'd gladly shop someplace else.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,134 times
thanks beretta and ted bear, thanks to all, as soon as i get these things taken care of here you will see a good meat shop which will put the customers needs first. that how i became so sucessful here, hope it will work there.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Funny this thread has been revived and Fred, you asked this question now. Kingsport Provisions on Sullivan St. in Kingsport is opening a retail butcher shop in a week or two, a mile or so from me. But they just butcher meats, not make any thing like you are speaking of. Yes, there is a HUGE call for this kind of specialty meats, I have been inundated with requests and one shop can't do it all. So my answer also is YES!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM

80 posts, read 219,651 times
Yes

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM

110 posts, read 229,368 times
I'm resurrecting an old thread to share 'new news' and see if anyone else knows anything....

I'm a big Boar's Head cold cuts fan. No one has carried this product in Johnson City. I've talked about this in the past with a colleague who feels similarly. They told me today that last week their daughter called and told her that there was just a radio commercial on a local station for Boar's Head cold cuts. My friend was dubious but later heard the commercial themselves. These were definitely local spots aired by the local station.

So, does that mean that someplace in the tricities area is now selling Boar's Head? (I was also wondering if this was an attempt on Boar's Head's part to try to motivate demand to pull the product into local stores.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol