Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 13,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFFYDUCK View Post
Hello, We are considering a relocation to the Tri-Cities Area (Bristol, Johnson City or Kingsport).We are planning to visit this area within the next few weeks and would like to have some more information. I have read many of the previous posts so I have a general idea about the area but still have a few questions. I am concerned about my husband being able to find a job there, I have searched the newspapers and some other websites about jobs and cannot find anything concrete.He is currently a site crew foreman / heavy equipment operator. We would like to rent a house around Gray or Sulfur Springs area, but can't find any information on rental properties. Any information on the Washington County Schools would be good, I saw the website but would like input from parents whose children attend the schools in the Gray and Sulfur Springs area. Is the insurance prices reasonable in the Tri-Cities Area ( health,car)?

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide
Tell you husband to apply for Barnheart Construction in Kingsport Tennessee. they are always looking for good employees. The gentleman you want to speak to is named Gino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 22,322 times
Thank You very much for that information that is a big help. We will be there
in two weeks for a visit and that will be the first place my husband will go to
when we get to Kingsport.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Well, for your second stop, you are more then welcome to by stop by and see me while you are in Kingsport. I love meeting folks from City-Data. I have some area maps I keep on hand there if you need them.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:39 AM

6 posts, read 22,322 times
Thanks for the invite, We won't be in Kingsport until Labor Day weekend.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,695 times
Default Me too - considering move to Tri-City area

Hi! I have been reading lots of posts about possible relocations from others to the Tri-City area....thank you all for the great info you've provided! I have also looked online for rentals (and jobs) and see that there are quite a few job listings for these areas. As a single parent, which one of the Tri-City areas would be the best place to get a job as quickly as possible? All three seem to have some really good opportunities, I will be looking for administrative work. Of course, schools and safe neighborhoods are high on my list too! Mbmouse, you have given some great info on these subjects...you may not have anything "new" for me but any suggestions would be wonderful. I visited friends there this summer and fell in LOVE with the area!! I'm trying to figure out which area (of the three) would be the best place to settle. Any ideas??? Thanks to all in advance!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal4ever View Post
Hi! I have been reading lots of posts about possible relocations from others to the Tri-City area....thank you all for the great info you've provided! I have also looked online for rentals (and jobs) and see that there are quite a few job listings for these areas. As a single parent, which one of the Tri-City areas would be the best place to get a job as quickly as possible? All three seem to have some really good opportunities, I will be looking for administrative work. Of course, schools and safe neighborhoods are high on my list too! Mbmouse, you have given some great info on these subjects...you may not have anything "new" for me but any suggestions would be wonderful. I visited friends there this summer and fell in LOVE with the area!! I'm trying to figure out which area (of the three) would be the best place to settle. Any ideas??? Thanks to all in advance!
Hi TNGal,
I would suggest you get with some employment agencies now, before you move. Try Snelling, Randstad, AT Work and places like that in all of the Tri-Cities and send them your resume. Talk with them and see where more opportunities with your qualifications can be found. They might even be able to line one up for you before you move. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,695 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks MB for the names of agencies in that area...I have been thinking along those lines myself. Trying to time the move, employment and living arrangements is quite a chore! I've had some very good success in the past with employment agencies. I have no doubt I will find a job - it's just when! Sometimes it takes a little longer than expected but eventually they find something that is a good match. I'm planning ahead to prepare for a long haul if needed. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this website, it has proven to be a valuable source of information regarding the Tri-City area. Thank you all for the posts, it has been a great help to me! Hope to meet you one day in the near future.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,011 times
Kingsport is good if you're under the age of 14 or over the age of 60. Pretty much if you're life hasn't gotten started yet or its winding down. Other than that the city completely sucks. The population is declining and its not hard to figure out why. When I turned 18 I left like most of my peers. And that was 9 years ago.

Bristol has a NASCAR track and that is ALL they have.

Johnson City has a college, yep. People in Kingsport and Bristol go to JC if they want to "party" or live it up on the town. Its pretty much just a strip of chain restaurants with a few ****ty college bars thrown in between.

Worst metro area in Tennesse by far. If it can even be called a metro area. Go to Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis or even Knoxville if you have to... although its not much better.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,697 times
I disagree with your assessment of the Tri. I've taken time to see what these three cities do have to offer in the way of restaurants, lakeside night spots, museums, outdoor offerings, dinner theater, festivals, music, and family fun, and it's truly a high standard of living here. I've traveled to many major cities across the US and Candada, and I've found the Tri Cities to be an exceptional area for quality living, depending on your definition of "quality." It's not your haute couture region, for sure, and the metrosexual or glamour girl might find it dull beyond dull, I suppose. So I guess "good" is in the eye of the beholder.

There are thousands of young people who would disagree with the post below. I see well dressed, yes, many beautiful young people out and about in these towns, enjoying their lives here. My daughter is one of them. Not everyone needs the teeming masses or glamor glitz of a metro city to feel they are in the "in crowd" or meet some socially prevalent version of "urban chic". Actually, feeling "urban chic" isn't even necessary in East TN....I happen to enjoy the lessened false pride and arrogance this area embodies. People accept each other for who they are more here, without judging by what they have and their appearance. They're still intelligent, modern, fun people though...as good as in any metropolitan city out there, maybe better when you consider the moral/ethical/mannerly behavior. Are there ignorant people here. Sure! ARe there druggies. Sure! Are there old fashioned folks...lots of them (yaaay...there's still some charm left in people!). But if you hang with people of like mind, you'll find plenty of quality in your daily life here.

You say Kingsport is only "good if you're under 14 or over 60 years of age? I'd have to disagree. Kingsport, JC and Bristol are "good" for thousands of people in that age bracket who hike, bike, fish, boat and otherwise take advantage of the natural resources and civic amenities. Bristol is WAY more than just a race track. Johnson City is WAY more than the line of bars you reduced it to. You have to get out and enjoy life to...enjoy life - no matter where you live. Hope you can find a place that doesn't "completely suck" and be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdoc81 View Post
Kingsport is good if you're under the age of 14 or over the age of 60. Pretty much if you're life hasn't gotten started yet or its winding down. Other than that the city completely sucks. The population is declining and its not hard to figure out why. When I turned 18 I left like most of my peers. And that was 9 years ago.

Bristol has a NASCAR track and that is ALL they have.

Johnson City has a college, yep. People in Kingsport and Bristol go to JC if they want to "party" or live it up on the town. Its pretty much just a strip of chain restaurants with a few ****ty college bars thrown in between.

Worst metro area in Tennesse by far. If it can even be called a metro area. Go to Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis or even Knoxville if you have to... although its not much better.

Last edited by pineywoods; 08-16-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Quote:
The population is declining and its not hard to figure out why. When I turned 18 I left like most of my peers. And that was 9 years ago.
I'd like to see the statistics on that. Your assessment is valid as an individual opinion, but when you state such as the above, you must back it up. And, I'll save you some time here, you can't do it. Kingsport as a city is growing, Sullivan county is growing, the entire MSA (and CSA) is growing... ??? Where'd you get your information?

If you're going to use the term metro area, then you're using US Census terminology. Technically, there are two metro areas in NE TN, and one combined statistical area or CSA. Perhaps what you meant to imply is that Johnson City et. al. aren't as glamorous as Hollywood, as cultured as Boston or New York, or as entertaining as Miami. We ALL realize that here, and that's by and large why we (as an adult population) choose to live here. You obviously didn't like it, so I'm glad you got out.

Not sure which high school you went to, but I've lived in the area most of my life, and most of my peers certainly did not leave to go elsewhere. A few did, most stayed in the Tri-Cities or perhaps Knoxville or Asheville. Again, I'm not trying to sell the area as "the best place in the whole world," but your statements just seem bizarre. Nobody's pulling the wool over our eyes. We know exactly what we're getting into here. There are tens of thousands of people living in NETN that have lived all over the state, country, and world.

The fact is that we all choose to live where we do for a reason. Just because you decided to live elsewhere (thank god) doesn't give you the right to lie about my homeplace, or belittle me (which is what I felt) for choosing to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol