U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 AM

6 posts, read 20,380 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are considering a relocation to the Tri-Cities Area (Bristol, Johnson City or Kingsport).We are planning to visit this area within the next few weeks and would like to have some more information. I have read many of the previous posts so I have a general idea about the area but still have a few questions. I am concerned about my husband being able to find a job there, I have searched the newspapers and some other websites about jobs and cannot find anything concrete.He is currently a site crew foreman / heavy equipment operator. We would like to rent a house around Gray or Sulfur Springs area, but can't find any information on rental properties. Any information on the Washington County Schools would be good, I saw the website but would like input from parents whose children attend the schools in the Gray and Sulfur Springs area. Is the insurance prices reasonable in the Tri-Cities Area ( health,car)?

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,612,748 times
Hello,
Welcome to the forum. I live in the area you are speaking of. As for rentals there are some, I am not sure how they advertise but I have seen several "for rent" signs along the roads. As for work, if your husband is a heavy equipment operator, he should be able to find work and from what I understand, they pay is very good for this area in that line. He should talk to several employment agencies while you are here. A lot of plants hire this way here.
I have two boys in the Washington County school systems and we really like it.
As for insurance, it depends where you are coming from. Most folks here on the forum who move from FL say that the car insurance is MUCH cheaper,but some from the mid west say it is about the same.
I hope that helps.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 PM

Thank You for the information, we live in a small town in Maryland close to
the beach and the cost of living here is going up and up. To buy a 3 bedroom
2 bath house (1400 sq. ft) with no land it will cost over $200,000. A lot of people are moving to this area from the big cities. The Middle/High School
my oldest child attends was build 3 years ago and now they are adding on to
it because its over crowded already. The Washington County school systems
report card matched our school system here. That's one reason why I would
to be in the Gray area. When we visit this area within the next few weeks is there any family restaurant's that you would suggest and any area's to visit?

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide

Old 08-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Well, the great thing about Gray is that it is only about 10 minutes or less North of Johnson City which has just about everything. What kind of "family restaurant" are you speaking of? A home town Mom and Pop kinda place or a "get em all fed and not break the bank" kinda place?
As for visit, check out the new fossil museum that just opened up (or just about to) right on 75 in Gray. I would suggest a ride up hwy36 to Sullivan County to Warriors Path State park. There is also Bay's Mountain state park. If you just want to go for a scenic drive, head south on 26 into the mountains and stop at any of the pull offs there and be sure to bring the camera! What else are you wanting to see while you are here? Is it a true visit or strictly a house hunting trip?
You are always welcome to stop by and say hello while you are here, I love meeting folks from the forum.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:05 AM

It will be a true visit and some house hunting. The fossil museum is something
my kids ages 8 & 13 (boys) would enjoy visiting. The scenic drive is something
my husband and myself will really enjoy. For the restaurant's both, a home town Mom and Pop kinda place and a "get em all fed and not break the bank" kinda place. Is the Drive-In Theater still open in Elizabethton, TN ?

Thank you mbmouse for all the helpful information you have provided so far, it
really helps out alot when you're planning a trip. Once again THANK YOU !!!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 AM

693 posts, read 1,279,603 times
Here is the link to the drive-in theater in Elizabethton
Album1 - Page: 1 of 7

I have never been but its something that I have planned on going to for a long time.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 AM

Thank you jchometeam I checked out the website and got all the information
I needed to know about the drive-in theater. Once again Thank You !!!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 AM

There is also movie night on the lawn thing at Winged Deer Park. Here is a link to a local newspaper for Johnson City that has lots of activities. Go to the downloads section to see the current paper and schedules.
Welcome to the Johnson City News & Neighbor Online Edition!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 PM

693 posts, read 1,279,603 times
Is the Winged Deer Park movie night still going on? I thought it was only in July. I went once last year and it was great. Really nice to see so many families together with lawn chairs or sitting on towels watching the movie together. There were also food vendors and two radio station vans entertaining everyone before the movie.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Is the Winged Deer Park movie night still going on? I thought it was only in July. I went once last year and it was great. Really nice to see so many families together with lawn chairs or sitting on towels watching the movie together. There were also food vendors and two radio station vans entertaining everyone before the movie.
You are right, my bad. They have the Lake Side Concert series at Winged Deer Park through August. The 7th, 14th, 21st and 25th of Ausgust from 6:00 to 9:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol