U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM

199 posts, read 467,864 times

Advertisements

Well I hadn't been at the mall in a little while and a couple of days ago I visited it again and to no shock things are looking even worse. Several more places are gone including Kafe Blues. I felt like I was in a ghost town, nobody was shopping and only a few people seemed to even be in the entire mall. I also just talked to a friend tonight and he told me that Shoozies was leaving the mall as well. He also stated that Sears is considering leaving the mall as well although that is just a rumor as of now.

I'm surprised the mall has lasted this long but after seeing its latest state. Especially if Sears does indeed pull out, I can't see the mall being open that much longer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM

973 posts, read 1,299,083 times
More people need jobs in the area to have the money to spend. That's not really happening for this area for a while now. It's a Vicious Circle type thing.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,985 times
It's more poor management than people not having money to spend. If they would put a few million into renovation, they would compete better for folks money. Kingsport is overdue for a decent theater. If KTC doesn't build it on their property, they are done.

If KTC did this ... Possible image of what Kingsport Town Center will look like in the future? ... people and business and profit would come.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Yes, its not really that. Other shopping areas have done well in the area it's just bad management and remodeling plans that never happened that has about killed the mall. Rccrain, I remember posting those photos. The malls website had those shots on there. Kingsport Town Center's website though took those photos down a while ago and I personally believe the "remodel' plans have been scrapped.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,598,926 times
It sounds sad, I have always loved FHM. I havent been there in several months though. I like the fact that it still has that "80s" (or late 70s) feel to it, but I am oldschool. lol. Be a shame for it to close. Is there another mall in Kingsport taking its business?

Bristol Mall is looking dismal as well. Piccadilly Cafe had been there since 1976 (when it opened) and is now closed... they closed a couple of weeks ago. Many other places closing out there as well - another comes in, but never seems to stay long - we dont even have a book store in the mall anymore. B-Dalton is now gone as well. The lower level of the mall is like a ghost town. I remember being a kid in the 1980s, that place was booming! I have even heard rumors that Burger King on W. State St. may be closing soon and they have been there since the 70s as well. Really sad how times have changed.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
It sounds sad, I have always loved FHM. I havent been there in several months though. I like the fact that it still has that "80s" (or late 70s) feel to it, but I am oldschool. lol. Be a shame for it to close. Is there another mall in Kingsport taking its business?

Bristol Mall is looking dismal as well. Piccadilly Cafe had been there since 1976 (when it opened) and is now closed... they closed a couple of weeks ago. Many other places closing out there as well - another comes in, but never seems to stay long - we dont even have a book store in the mall anymore. B-Dalton is now gone as well. The lower level of the mall is like a ghost town. I remember being a kid in the 1980s, that place was booming! I have even heard rumors that Burger King on W. State St. may be closing soon and they have been there since the 70s as well. Really sad how times have changed.
Really all of the malls in this area are not that great. We just don't have the population to support a nice larger mall in such a rural area. That being said the JC mall is decent and has been kept up well. Kingsport since its so central and has a decent pop could have a decent mall as well. That mall has just been horribley ran and not kept up like it should have been. The Pavilion has taken away a lot of the mall's business. Kohl's in Kingsport has also taken quite a bit of business away from JC Penney's and Belks I believe.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,757,012 times
I think Johnson City's mall does very well... there are some new stores like Forever XXI, Charming Charlie, et. al. that usually belong in somewhat larger towns. That said, I would love to see Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn or an Apple Store... oh well..

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,598,926 times
Yeah, JC mall seems to do quite well.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
I work at Sears and from what I am told we aren't going anywhere. I think we are signed through 2016 as are the other major department stores. The major department stores in the mall do well, but not as well as JC. We are even with the Sears in JC Mon-Thur but the weekends kill us. It is the taxes and everybody wanting to go to JC on weekends. With gas at 3.50 that is crazy but habits are hard to break I guess.

Kingsport Mall just opened a Children's Place. Since I have a young kid I have gone in there a few times. they tell me they are doing great and are pulling customers from JC and Bristol.

The Kaffee Blues has been replaced by a store from the JC Mall. it is the greek place but I don't know the name. The hallmark store has also been replaced by another franchisee. I didn't know about Shoozies...I will check.

I know they have talked about redoing the theaters but rumor says they want to move to the Pavilion but can't or don't have the money so they will stay put. There 10 years should be up soon...can't remember when they opened.

If you want to be honest, the biggest disappointment is the pavilion. Our manager knows the manager at Kohls and OLd navy and neither of those stores do well. The target is not doing that well either...

Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone In the know View Post
If you want to be honest, the biggest disappointment is the pavilion. Our manager knows the manager at Kohls and OLd navy and neither of those stores do well. The target is not doing that well either...
Actually that's not true. I know for a fact that Kohl's in Kingsport is above its sales goal from what the company has expected for the location and Target while not exceeding their goal has been meeting it. Go to Kohl's on a weekend and let me tell you its crazy packed sometimes with every register going. Kohl's has been VERY pleased with the performance of the Kingsport store, to the point that a Bristol location is very seriously being considered right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol