Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times

Advertisements

You are totally correct Kamoshika! I am sorry, I misread that. Thank you for the clarification. I posted the above info based on the snip of info they had put on the WBIR web site yesterday and had not read the complete article in todays paper. Thank for the info even if it is not good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

36 posts, read 108,175 times
mbmouse, you are such a great poster! I have some questions:
Once we get there (Kingsport area), how long do we have to: A) switch over our DL's? B) change our insurance? C) Are we required to change insurance companies (we are with State Farm now)? D) get new license plates? E) will it be the $24 per plate?

On another note, I was wondering if we should buy our new wardrobes down here or wait until we get up there, since everything seems so much less expensive up there? We are talking about new clothes for 13 people and I thought if we did it here, we may have to sell a kidney on the black market to do so. What's your thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaG View Post
mbmouse, you are such a great poster! I have some questions:
Once we get there (Kingsport area), how long do we have to: A) switch over our DL's? B) change our insurance? C) Are we required to change insurance companies (we are with State Farm now)? D) get new license plates? E) will it be the $24 per plate?

On another note, I was wondering if we should buy our new wardrobes down here or wait until we get up there, since everything seems so much less expensive up there? We are talking about new clothes for 13 people and I thought if we did it here, we may have to sell a kidney on the black market to do so. What's your thoughts?

Thank you.
I believe you have 30 days to change you license and tags, yes the $24 is still in effect until 08.( I think, every article I have read in the past few days on the new rates seem to say something a little different). We have State Farm agents all over, I can get you some numbers and you can change it over as soon as you get an address.
I am assuming you are talking about adding winter clothes to your wardrobes?
If so, I would suggest waiting until you get here only because they really don;t have much of a selection of those items in Fl, but a quick trip up 81 into VA will save you a few bucks an item with the sales tax, it is 9.75% here, even on food. VA is like 7 something and none on food.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 AM

36 posts, read 108,175 times
WOW - 9.75%??? Is that statewide? Or just in your area? See that's something that's good to know because I would want to do ALL of my shopping in VA if that's the case!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Statewide.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 AM

383 posts, read 918,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaG View Post
WOW - 9.75%??? Is that statewide? Or just in your area? See that's something that's good to know because I would want to do ALL of my shopping in VA if that's the case!

what's the tax rate in virginia and how much shopping are you going to do each month?

if you spend $100 you save..what by shopping in Va? $4? wouldn't the price of gas negate almost all of the savings? then add in your time..that's got to be worth something no?

not trying to convince you of not going to virginia..i'm just saying that the net difference even over a year is probably not worth the time and effort to drive out of your way and in fact you may be losing money by making the drive depending on where you live and what you value your time to be worth.

as an example: i just purchased a vacuum for the wife. the vacuum was $300 at target. my local target had one in stock so i drove there and paid a total of $328.50 plus the cost of gas and my time - the store is approx 3 minutes from my house and I was in a bit of a hurry so I was there and back to my house in about 18 minutes. I know this because I was expecting a business call. Let's round the time and gas to a total of $4.25. so my total expense was roughly 332.75

the target in virginia is about 20 miles from me (north johnson city). figure the vacuum at $300 plus .045% sales tax for virginia. 2 gallons of gas at $2.65 a gallon ($5.30) and 1.4 hours of my time (priceless but i'll figure it conservatively at $12 per hour - $16.80) - a total of $335.60

i lost money going to virginia and the state where i live lost revenue because i thought i was getting a better deal to shop elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol