U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

218 posts, read 358,875 times

Advertisements

I think you will just love it and will be very happy - Hope So anyway - Good luck to you !!!
By the way, the elephant story is true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM

141 posts, read 259,286 times
Thank you Homegrown

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,790,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
What defines an "outsider"? If a person or family lives there for a couple years/owns a home, they are no longer an outsider. They are a member of the community. To me outsiders are visitors or people who are there short term.
To shun people or resent them is pretty judgemental, and it sure isn't very christian like.
My mother grew up in Corbin, KY, a small town. She was raised Baptist and had a compassionate heart and love for others, went out of her way to help anyone in need. Maybe she was an exception, or maybe it was her love for her Saviour.

I do appreciate the input from all.
The clannish atmosphere has nothing to do with Christianity. It is more about hanging with your friends just like all the generations before did. They will be polite but you won't, know matter how many years or how hard you try, be one of them. It is very hard to explain. I grew up in Kingsport and live in East TN. I would not move to the area because even I would be an outsider to a degree. To come from even further away would be even more suspect. I work with quite a few people from there and am sharing what I know to be true.

Like I said before, come and visit and decide what area suits you best. Lots of things look good on the internet or on paper. You have to see and feel and experience in person to truly know how you feel. But believe me this, a realtor will be happy to sell you a house there or anywhere so come on up and get shown around.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
The clannish atmosphere has nothing to do with Christianity. It is more about hanging with your friends just like all the generations before did. They will be polite but you won't, know matter how many years or how hard you try, be one of them. It is very hard to explain. I grew up in Kingsport and live in East TN. I would not move to the area because even I would be an outsider to a degree. To come from even further away would be even more suspect. I work with quite a few people from there and am sharing what I know to be true.
See, as you explain it, I have no desire to "be one of them".
You cannot be a Christian and exclude people like that. Or treat people as if YOU are better than them, or privileged. Did Jesus exclude people? Did He teach or advocate this kind of behavior? He taught "all of the law is summed in one command, love thy neighbor as thyself".

It has EVERYTHING to do with Christianity. "He who has ears, let him hear."

Nope, if that is their behavior as you define it, no I don't want to "be one of them", thank you. I'm happy as I am.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 AM

218 posts, read 358,875 times
Polizzio:
I truly don't believe the folks in Erwin intentionally "shun" peoplen the biblical sense. There are some wonderful people living there, perhaps it is us - the ones who don't live in Erwin who have the problem. I worked there for several years as did my husband, and what we found were proud people - proud of their heritage - who they were - last names are important- My husband's family came to this area by way of Buladean N.C. and some settled in Limestone Cove. ( northern part of Unicoi Co.) I was always being ask " who are you related to - as if they were trying to make a connection because we have a very common last name in Unicoi CO. Where people are from in the county is just as important - you have those who grew up in Erwin - those from Spivey (mnt.) - Flag Pond, Temple Hill etc. - Do you understand? What Beretta is saying I think is - "it's not about being a Christian as much as it's about being who they are and where they are from" There are fine Christian people in Erwin who will ask " Where you from?" - trying to make a connection. They are not malicious - no one is going to burn a cross in your yard - they are who they are and all of us who have lived here in East Tennessee most of our lives as I have - just accept it as fact and go on. A foot note - When I was in High School in the 60's Johnson City played Erwin (Unicoi Co. HS.) it was a huge thing. - There was 1 black family living in Erwin - the man worked for the railroad ( the largest employer) and lived in RR owned housing. As part of the deal - his children went to school in Johnson City - the son played football. - Everyone in Erwin knew them -
When it came time for the 2 teams to play - all the JC players surrounded the boy from Erwin to "keep him safe" Yeah there were calls and hecklers - because J C won - but there were no problems - you see the black boy from Erwin lived there - everyone knew the family - the next year - the same boy - was asked to play football in Unicoi CO. The family was a Railroad family - that was their idenity - not their color or race or religion. Yeah Erwin is clannish - but then so are folks who live in Carter Co and Johnson Co. and almost everywhere in East Tennessee -What makes the difference between Johnson City, Kingsport & Bristol is the fact that through educational venues (ETSU) and large corporations (Eastman, Exide, Raytheon etc.) has been the exposures to people from different areas of the country coming here to work - they fall in love with the beauty of East Tennessee and stay. For 25 years I lived elsewhere. 20 years ago. I came Home to East Tennessee having left Atlanta because I wanted to raise my daughter in a area where they was less crime, less racial tention and God's beautiful handiwork. But most of all I wanted her to be with family - to know who she was and where she came from (family wise)> She is proud to be from East Tn as am I and hopefully soon, you will feel the same way. Don't give up your dreams of small town USA - it may not be Erwin - you may like somewhere else better - Lord knows we have several small towns to choose from - keep an open mind - and come visit - get to know us - all of us - and then make your decision based on your heart.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 AM

12,336 posts, read 15,911,254 times
I want to add that the 'super low crime' rate that appeals to you is in part a result of the community being so tight knit. If they were more open and accepting of outsiders I think the crime rate would go up. People are less inclined to do stupid things when everyone in the community knows who they are and who their people are.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM

503 posts, read 821,373 times
Something that you might want to consider while making a decision is that there is a uranium processing facility in Erwin. I know it sounds strange, but there it is.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Something that you might want to consider while making a decision is that there is a uranium processing facility in Erwin. I know it sounds strange, but there it is.
Yes, I had read that when doing an extensive search here on the forum about Erwin. Guess they were looking for "Mayberry USA" to process uranium fuel on the low down.

Maybe that is why folks there are so clannish, if you don't glow in the dark and shoot blanks, they don't like ya, ROFL.

And to Homegrown, I like your way of thinking :-)

Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 AM

178 posts, read 393,183 times
Hey Polizzio, welcome to Tennessee! I have lived in Johnson City all my life, but I see the charm in living in a smaller town like Erwin and walking to the store, and just relaxing. But I can totally see myself doing it moreso in Jonesborough. They are a bit of a melting pot, and always welcome 'outsiders'. I worked there for a couple of years, and I met so many wonderful people from everywhere but TN. We have a budding British community, and lots of people from the rest of the US that came for a visit and never left. It's a lovely town - especially if you can live near downtown. You said you don't drive - they don't have any corner grocery stores, but there is an IGA near downtown, and I usually see people walking towards downtown with IGA bags in their hands, and a little further out is a Food City and an Ingles, where there is much better selection. The folks in Jonesborough embrace their community, and I love that! I'll never forget my first Christmas there - it was a rainy night, and I was working, and couldn't believe how many people walked downtown with their umbrellas in the cold rain to watch the lighting of the Christmas tree at the Courthouse. I was sold that night. There is a lot of history there, and I'd say it's the opposite of Erwin's history being that they had the location of the first Abolitionist newspaper (The Emancipator), and some people call Jonesborough the center of the Abolitionist Movement. Lots of historians there, and groups dedicated to it. Several churches are right on Main St, all in walking distance to each other, and they have a community theater that is always working on a new production. And city officials also join in, so it really sorta feels like Mayberry!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM

178 posts, read 393,183 times
OH wait, I see you don't DRINK. Not that you don't drive. Well that makes it all the easier. No bars in Jonesborough! Only a few restaurants even serve alcohol. There aren't any liquor/wine stores either, but I think they may have just passed a law allowing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol