Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 13,347 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating from Wisconsin. Cant decide between these 2 places.....and Ive never been to either. What can you tell me about them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
The most striking difference is going to be geography. Johnson City is in the Appalachian Mountains, while Millington is as flat as a flitter.

Johnson City sits in a cluster of three small cities, while Millington is 20 minutes from a massive city in Memphis.

Johnson City's population is about 63K with ETSU and the medical field dominating the job market; Millington's is 11K with over half employed by a Naval Support Base.

Not many of us are going to know much about Millington, since it is about an 8 hour drive away from us, but I hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
Wow...those really are worlds apart!

I've not visited JC (yet), but I can tell you that, from what I know, I'd much prefer it over Millington.

Of all the suburbs around Memphis, I find Millington the least desirable. It certainly has that 1950s military base town look to it for the most part. The Millington Naval Air Station was a huge, thriving base back in the day (the largest inland Naval base)...but was closed in the early 1990s except for a much smaller role as Naval Support Activity. As a result, the number of military personnel was drastically reduced....not good for businesses in the immediate area.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I used to live not too far from Millington and now live close to Johnson City.
They are very different, how did you narrow it down to these two cities?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Default How I decided????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I used to live not too far from Millington and now live close to Johnson City.
They are very different, how did you narrow it down to these two cities?
Well im looking for somewhere safe, and also thinking about opening a business ( mentoring program) so i figured if i lived in millington and worked in memphis??? i really dont know, i just looked up places in TN and those were the 2 that stood out.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Millington itself feels like what it is, a small suburb of Memphis. It has a few shopping centers and restaurants and not much else, not even a movie theater. It does have a bit of country feel to some areas if that is something you are looking for. Unless you are a complete homebody you would probably find that you spend a lot of time in Memphis so keep that in mind when considering the safety angle.
Maybe spend some time on the Memphis board reading about crime. It's not quite as bad as it seems as long as you know what areas to stay away from and don't hang around the wrong kind of people, but still, it is a big city so a certain amount of crime is a given.

Johnson City is the largest of the three small cities that make up the tri-cities. The cities are situated within about thirty minutes of each other, with small towns and rural areas scattered throughout the area. JC is a vibrant growing city that can meet most of your every day wants and needs, but it does not offer some of the amenities found in much larger cities like Memphis.

Memphis has an international airport, Amtrak, zoo, botanic gardens, and an Imax theater, these things you aren't going to find in the tri-cities area. Memphis has a lot more variety as far as night life, shopping, dining, etc.
However Knoxville is only two hours away if you can't find what you need in Johnson City. Asheville is an hour away if you feel the need for escaping to someplace a little more 'liberal' for a bit.

Because it is close to the mountains, the tri-cities has more to offer in the way of certain types of outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, white water rafting, close to skiing, etc. (and it's a much prettier area IMO)

The tri-cities area is more conservative, less diverse, has less crime, and less traffic and congestion than the Memphis area.
The Memphis area has a population about 2.5 times that of the tri-cities area.
Johnson City will be a bit closer to the 4 season weather you are used to in WI, and feels cooler than Memphis most of the year.
Memphis snow is rare but they do sometimes get icy roads when the temps drop. JC gets more snow (not a lot) but ice doesn't seem to be as much of a problem.
Memphis is more prone to tornadoes in the area, although this past spring has shown that east TN is not exempt from them either.
Both cities are near seismic zones, seismic-hazard-map. Memphis being near the New Madrid zone New Madrid Seismic Zone and JC near the East TN zone Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone .

If you enjoy being near the things a larger city has to offer, without living within the city, then Millington might be more to your liking.
If you are more laid back or enjoy being close to a variety of outdoor activities then JC might be more to your liking.

My personal preference is for Johnson City. Millington is too bland and depressing, and Memphis just frustrates me.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 AM

What website would you recommend to find houses for rent in jognson city?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 AM

Default Looking for houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Millington itself feels like what it is, a small suburb of Memphis. It has a few shopping centers and restaurants and not much else, not even a movie theater. It does have a bit of country feel to some areas if that is something you are looking for. Unless you are a complete homebody you would probably find that you spend a lot of time in Memphis so keep that in mind when considering the safety angle.
Maybe spend some time on the Memphis board reading about crime. It's not quite as bad as it seems as long as you know what areas to stay away from and don't hang around the wrong kind of people, but still, it is a big city so a certain amount of crime is a given.

Johnson City is the largest of the three small cities that make up the tri-cities. The cities are situated within about thirty minutes of each other, with small towns and rural areas scattered throughout the area. JC is a vibrant growing city that can meet most of your every day wants and needs, but it does not offer some of the amenities found in much larger cities like Memphis.

Memphis has an international airport, Amtrak, zoo, botanic gardens, and an Imax theater, these things you aren't going to find in the tri-cities area. Memphis has a lot more variety as far as night life, shopping, dining, etc.
However Knoxville is only two hours away if you can't find what you need in Johnson City. Asheville is an hour away if you feel the need for escaping to someplace a little more 'liberal' for a bit.

Because it is close to the mountains, the tri-cities has more to offer in the way of certain types of outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, white water rafting, close to skiing, etc. (and it's a much prettier area IMO)

The tri-cities area is more conservative, less diverse, has less crime, and less traffic and congestion than the Memphis area.
The Memphis area has a population about 2.5 times that of the tri-cities area.
Johnson City will be a bit closer to the 4 season weather you are used to in WI, and feels cooler than Memphis most of the year.
Memphis snow is rare but they do sometimes get icy roads when the temps drop. JC gets more snow (not a lot) but ice doesn't seem to be as much of a problem.
Memphis is more prone to tornadoes in the area, although this past spring has shown that east TN is not exempt from them either.
Both cities are near seismic zones, seismic-hazard-map. Memphis being near the New Madrid zone New Madrid Seismic Zone and JC near the East TN zone Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone .

If you enjoy being near the things a larger city has to offer, without living within the city, then Millington might be more to your liking.
If you are more laid back or enjoy being close to a variety of outdoor activities then JC might be more to your liking.

My personal preference is for Johnson City. Millington is too bland and depressing, and Memphis just frustrates me.
What website would you recommend to find houses for rent in Johnson city?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,041 times
You might check these periodically. All will list somewhat area-wide. Theeclassifieds tends to have a lot of locally owned beach rentals listed (nearest Atlantic beach is 400 miles away).

http://theeclassifieds.com/?catId=72

JohnsonCityPress.com - Classifieds - Johnson City, Tennessee (http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Classifieds/browse.php?c=650 - broken link)

Kingsport, TN - News, Sports, Business and Classified Information - Kingsport Times-News

Homes for Rent around Johnson City - Tricities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee