U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM

31 posts, read 53,188 times

Advertisements

Planning to retire in the Tri-Cities area. My goal is to learn more about the marinas in Boone Lake, South Holston Lake, and Watauga Lake. My wife and I intend to purchase and dock a houseboat at one of the lakeside marinas. We are looking to purchase a boat that is approximately 30' long and 8 to 10 feet wide. Our plan is to spend weekends at a marina enjoying the lakeside atmosphere. Which marinas in the area have a restaurant and entertainment during summer weekends? We enjoy people watching and socializing. Any suggestions on which marinas my wife I should look at when we visit next spring? Please share with us what you know about the local marinas. Much thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM

499 posts, read 1,171,550 times
I think marinas with restaurants AND entertainment are more common on Boone. I remembered this GoTricities clip from summer 2010. This is at Lakeview Marina which is just off the end of runway 22 at Tri-City Regional Airport and very central to the three cities.

Marker 2 Grille - Boone Lake Premier Marina Restaurant - YouTube

I don't know much about the marinas at Holston.

There are probably three major marinas on Watauga. There is a very nice restaurant, Captains Table, there which is open March-October on Wed-Sunday located on the highway above Lakeshore Marina. I have eaten there several times but have not seen indications of regular entertainment. This marina is the one closest to Elizabethton on Rt67.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,019,056 times
Boone marinas are much more busy, social, and entertaining. At peak times Boone Lake can get crowded, and there is limited seclusion. You see a lot of water sports and party barges - lots of people watching.

Holston has a couple very nice marinas, but the restaurant and social scene are not the focal points - the lake is. Most folks go here to find a secluded cove and have some family time - and jump off an occasional rock cliff.

Watauga is more rustic and in a way more intellectual. You see lots of sailboats, small yachts, kayaks, etc.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Thanks for the lake and marina comments

My wife and I want to purchase a houseboat on one of the lakes to spend our weekends on during warm weather. Part of our decision on where to buy our house will be based on characteristics of the three lakes, marinas, pollution, fishing, etc., as well as the socialization factor. So, thank you both for you comments. Hopefully, others will post on the the other characteristics of the three lakes.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 AM

178 posts, read 396,923 times
My parents and my brother shared a houseboat for a while at Laurel Marina in Bristol. They loved the lake (beautiful, clean lake) and the area, but they didn't like the socialization. They said they had deck parties a lot and everybody seemed to know each other, but my Dad was the quiet type, and was looking for more laid back socialization and lots of quiet relaxation. I double checked the website to make sure I was giving you the right name, and it looks like they have a big expansion planned. Tennessee Boats for Sale, Laurel Marina, Used boats,Bayliner,Cobalt Boats,Harris Flote Boat,Mastercraft,Hurricane I don't know about events or restaurants, though.

Congratulations on your retirement, by the way! At the rate I'm going, I'll be 90 when I can retire.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

bkjonesborough, I have read many of you comments and replies throughout the threads on the Tri-Cities area City-Data forums. I want to personally thank you, and all the other kind and thoughtful Tennesseans for taking the time to answer questions and provide insight to us non-Tennessee residents.

I grew up in upstate NY in the Allegheny Mountains in the Finger Lakes region. The Tri-Cities area reminds me a lot of that area but without the hash winters and numerous snow storms. My wife and I lived in Blacksburg, VA prior to our coming to east central Illinois 18 years ago. We have spent the past few years research retirement areas. We like the Jefferson County area of the state, particularly close to Cherokee lake. However, I am more interested in the Tri-Cities area. My wife currently works at the VA Hospital here in IL. And, I have spent the past 35 years working at research universities: Indiana University, Virginia Tech, and now University of Illinois. The Johnson City area looks attractive to both of us, particularly with the mountains and nearby lakes.

Receiving helpful information from folks like you, increases our desire to move to the beautiful eastern TN area...

Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Tough decision ahead

My dual personality appreciates all replies. A part of me prefers the described characteristics of Boone Lake and the other part of my personality prefers Lake Watauga. Looking forward to visiting all three next spring. My wife and I will be camping near each lake to get a feel for the surrounding areas. We are looking for suggestions on where to camp. Preference are tent sites with water and electrical hook-ups. Need coffee in the AM and the blender in the PM. And, of course, shower facilities. Love the kind informative responses from you all! Gus

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,210 times
Roan Mountain State Park has very good facilities but it is about 30 minutes to Watauga Lake. I think there are a couple of private campgrounds along Watauga Lake, closer to Butler maybe. Not sure of their names. Lakeshore Marina has boats for rent and I believe Fish Springs Marina may also have boats. There are rustic cabins at Captains Table Restaurant, pool, dock. I have camped in a public camping area right on Watauga Lake, loved the campsites. Just found this website, might help: Watauga Lake Marinas - Watauga Lake Marina Information, Watauga Lake Marinas, Watauga Lake Tennessee Marinas, Houseboat rentals,
Don't really know about camping on Boone Lake but I imagine anything you find is private. Boone Lake is much more developed. Warriers Path State Park is closer to Boone or maybe South Holston. Haven't been there since I was very young and not sure about camping. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol