U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 21,947 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My family I are seriously thinking of leaving TX and moving to the Tri-Cities area. We are looking for the best place to move for employment. My wife is a physical therapist and I'm in IT. I've driven through the eastern TN area many times, and often thought about living there due to the natural beauty.

We would appreciate any thoughts on what area/city might best fit our needs:

- City of at least 15-20k
- Choice of good schools (public and private)
- Access to hunting and fishing

Which of the cities in this area are the prettiest and why? One of the reasons we are leaving TX is becuase we both like very hilly terrain and seeing actual rain. Also, here in TX, you have to take out a second mortgage to be able to afford a deer lease. Is hunting in east TN really as good as I think it is? Is there an abundance of public hunting land/readily available hunting areas that don't cost a fortune?

Thanks, ya'll...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,210,611 times
I propose you look at Jonesborough/Johnson City. Jonesborough is prettiest - it is historic, architecturally pleasing, quaint,and well maintained. Johnson City has slightly better schools. Johnson City borders Jonesborough, so ideally you live in the Johnson City limits, but you're practically in Jonesborough.

Johnson City is a major health care employer (MSHA, Medtech), and finding an IT job shouldn't be too difficult (ETSU).

Someone else will have to discuss hunting. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 PM

rccrain,

Thanks for the great info. Learning more everyday.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM

14,083 posts, read 17,859,073 times
All three of the tri- cities are only about thirty minutes+/- from each other, so you could live in a lot of different areas and still not have much of a commute for work.
JC does seem to be the fastest growing and best opportunity for jobs, but I wouldn't restrict my job search to just there, I'd try for anything in any of the cities in the area.
If you have kids to worry about I think I'd base my decision of where to live on school districts, and not so much on job location.

I haven't had kids in school here so no firsthand experience but I think the consensus is that Dobyns Bennet in Kingsport or Science Hill in JC are the best schools in the area. There are lots of threads on the topic if you want to dig a little deeper into the subject.
A few threads to get you started, if you're interested.
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...l#post10740422
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...ml#post9948314
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...l#post10550697
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...ml#post9308280

Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM

DubbleT

Thanks for the info. School district info is always nice to know.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 8,141 times
We lived on the TN side for awhile and moved over to VA. My husband is in IT and works in Lebanon, VA. There are many people who commute here from the Bristol and Abingdon area. I'm sure he would be more than happy to share with you availability with the company where he is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol