Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 15,093 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating Somewhere between Greeneville and Johnson City, Just wondering about jobs in this area, being from Florida Im a little worried about the demand for my profession.. I do, "Tree Stump Grinding".. In FL. I work for residential customers. Do you think there is a need for it up there? And Is there any good places to go fishing in this area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,908 times
Well, I'm not sure of the demand. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be near as high as FL (no hurricanes, less people, etc.). I grew up in Greeneville and live in Jonesborough now, and love them both. I would recommend either or anything in between.

However, I can say the fishing is great in this area. Greene County, Washington Country, Unicoi County, Carter County, Johnson County, and other counties touching the NC border have wild mountain trout streams. There is also the "tailwaters" (river with dams that generate water) that hold trout. The South Fork of the Holston River in Bluff City, near Bristol, is some of the best trout fishing in South and probably the best east of the MS River with many trout & hatches comparable to a western river. The Watauga River (Elizabethton) is also a great trout fishing area.

If you are into smallmouth action, there is the Nolichucky River in Greene & Unicoi counties. I think the lower end of the Holston RIver also holds some great smallies. As for lakes, you are also in luck as there is an abundant amount pretty close-Boone, Watauga, Douglas, Cherokee, and some others. Most all contain your typical popular gamefish like largemouth, crappie, spotted, white, & striped bass, bluegill, catfish, and even some trout in some.

Good Luck!

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 03-20-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Wow! Thanks AppalachianAngler, Sounds like your the guy for all the fishing locations. I'm excited about coming to the area. The fishing info will be very helpful, since i'm new to trout fishing. We bought a vacation home in Pigeon Forge 2 yrs. ago and now we are looking for a permanent home near Greeneville. We will be back up in April to check on some real estate. Are the house prices in your area going up or down?.... I guess a career change will be in store. Ive been self employed almost all my life. In florida there is always great opportunity to do your own thing. Hope i can find a demand for something in your area also. Since you live there do you see a need for any types of service work? Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Hi FL Born,
I also agree with what Angler said about Jonesborough and Greeneville. You can live west Jonesborough and get to JC in about 10 minutes. Our property values are seeing a slow and steady rise of about 5%-7% a year, no big value hike happening here that I can see.
As for jobs, it sounds like you could look in a few different profession. There are some large tree trimming companies up here that you may qualify for? There are also some nice landscaping companies around. With in now being spring I would say these companies are starting to look for new employees. Keep an eye on the local Newspapers and your typical job search engines.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks mbmouse, By the way ive looked at all your pictures thay are great!! As far as the jobs go . I used to own a large tree bus.and landscaping bus. but got tired of the employee problems and headaches. Then i downsized to a stump grinding man. And also sell used trucks and Suv"s on the side.. Much less Stress...I'll figure something out. Just tryin to prepare myself for the culture shock..But thats a good thing. Be careful with all those beautiful pictures, you dont want to turn E. Tenn. into little Orlando..lol.. Thanks Again.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Oh my gosh No! Ok, just for you, I will not post any more pictures of TN and once you get here, we'll close the doors hahahahahahahha.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM

mbmouse, O.K. sounds good..lol..I think its just the begining ..E. Tenn. is gonna be a hot spot no matter what. People just like me that thought we would never leave our hometown are now looking for a peaceful town to raise there families. The climate may be colder and the job demand may be less but thats a fair trade for many that are looking for a simpler way of life.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,543 times
If you do tree triming to then I would say you should keep busy. There are some larger companies and alot of one man operations for that.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,098 times
East Tenn. east of Knoxville-- has the best to offer in beauty and reasonable property. You just decide how rural you want to be -- the air is much cleaner. The further west in Tn the more pollution. The Clinch River is one of the cleanest rivers in Am...cleaner than the Holston, but most areas near to it are rural. I have property and am building in Sneedville, but you have to like rural -- Hardee's is the only chain. Have to drive to Rogersville or Morristown for the best shopping -- about 30 mins. The trade-off is that my land was very reasonable,beautiful. Lots of land being sold to transplants like me; so everything will change there too ---it will just take a lot longer.Greenville, Jonesborough, Johnson City area -- I agree are great choices. Good luck to you. My pollution info. came from Gov. websites and the Sierra Club website.
Tenn redneck

Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,833 times
Default What are land prices like in Greeneville area?

I've read all the above with interest. What are prices like for land, say one or two acres in the Greeneville, Jonesborough area? How about taxes?
I've lived in a lot of places and have enjoyed them all. People sound friendly in TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol