Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM

529 posts, read 363,837 times

Advertisements

I posted in the regular Tn Forum area but some folks said to post here since 2 of the towns I am considering are in the tri cities area.

What are the big differences between Bristol and Elizabethton? Other than size.

I need somewhere with nice schools next year will have a Kindergartner and a pre k'er and a new baby as well lol.

Love parks places for kids to run and play.

Decent shopping I love to eat so a variety of restaraunts would be great. I do like Bristol for the racing atmosphere but Elizabethton doesn't seem to be to far from there. What is the cheaper city as far as renting 3 or 4 bedroom place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM

218 posts, read 417,401 times
Dear Odball84:
I can only answer your question from an observation perspective, however, my husband grew up in Elizabethton and I have worked in both Bristol and E-town. Elizabethton is a bedroom community for Johnson City. Used to be an industrial town but the rayon plants have gone and though there are a few small manufacturing, not much there except service industries. In the past few years, several resturants have sprung up, Applebee's, Lone Star, Fatz, Chik-fil-a, and several good mom and pop places. Shopping is mainly Walmart and a few speciality stores downtown. Schools within Elizabethton City are good, county schools are marginal - depending on area. Bristol is much more progressive, has much more to offer, the arts are good with Bristol ballet and th Paramount. Schools are very good and the county schools are very good. Bristol has some industry and the VA side has the shopping and resturants. If you wan small town quite, not much going on except lots of sport teams, Elizabethton is your answer. Bristol has alot going on.
As far as housing, generall speaking I thing Elizabethton is cheaper, though taxes are fairly high.
There are some beautiful areas in E-Town - Bristol , I am not that familar with, but I do know there are some lovely homes. Which aea you choose - you'll find both good and bad - you make the choice and good luck

Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Thank you Home. Very helpful. I am kind of leaning towards Elizabethton for the simple fact it's closer to family,its closer to a BIG town in JC and that also means more things to do etc....my wife would want to attend school eventually after the new baby is born etc and I know ETSU is in JC. I passed through Elizabethton back in 2007 on my way to Mountain City but don't remember a lot about it.What taxes are high in E town? I don't own a home so won't have to worry about that lol...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM

oddball84
The city of Elizabethton just passed a rate hike on their property taxes. if you are a renter, then you won't have to worry. Housing rentals can be pretty high in E-town. my nephew got married this sumer and they ending up buying a condo rather than rent because rents were so high. You may want to check out areas around Milligan College and Happy Valley for apartment rentals. For a young family, Elizabethton is a great place to raise kids.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Goodness...didn't realize it was so high. I am paying 650$ for a 2 bd 2 bth right now and that's outrageous to me. I can live in a house,apt or trailer doesn't really matter to me I am disabled right now wife has a lot of experience in food services/deli etc so I don't assume it would be to hard for her to find new work. She is a dietary aide right now.What is the average rent price there any links to looking at places?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM

I would suggest Craig's List as a great place to look at rentals and housing in general. There are some nice new single level apartments and condos going up especially on the west end of Elizabethton. There are some good realtors in the area which can help too. If you have been used to paying about $600 you will be ok - that's about average or a little above average for really decent housing in E-town. Good luck and welcome to East Tennessee

Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Curious as to which of these towns is the LEAST religious? I am not religious the wife is christian but doesn't attend church...just want somewhere we won't be judged...also want somewhere that is big enough that not everyone knows us and judges us soon as we move in.Or do I need to look at certain other towns? Possibly Kingsport or closer to Knoxville?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Elizabethton's social nets run on church, mostly. My husband's from there - his whole family is super nice, but many of them socialize purely based on church. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but just telling you since you asked.

Sounds to me like you want to live in Johnson City. It's really not that big feeling. Rent is more expensive on the southside or in Boones Creek.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Yeah but Bristol is cheaper for buying, so I would think cheaper for renting?

Oddball, I don't have any problem in Bristol with not being religious, although I'm not exactly a social butterfly. Most of the people I know do attend Church on Sundays, but I don't get the feeling that most of them center their social lives around the church.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM

178 posts, read 444,469 times
As far as towns being religious, you won't get singled out for not being religious. That only happens on Footloose. I'm religious, my husband isn't, nobody's ever said a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol