U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,130 times

Advertisements

I was wanting to get some thoughts on downtown johnson city. Due to my daily route i am down there nearly every day and i have absolutely fallen in love with it. I think, however, my love is due to the fact that i have recognized such a huge amount of potential that the area has. I was wondering if there were any others out there who might agree with me.
Also, i have tried contacting some officials and etc. in Johnson City looking for ways to get more involved in the so-called redevelopment effort down there. Has anyone found any good hands-on ways of sprucing up the area or getting more business down there?
Any ideas???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM

708 posts, read 1,354,882 times
I have seen the redevelopment master plan, and was very impressed. Downtown does have alot of potential, and I would not be surprised to see a totally different look to the area in the next 5 years. Some things are hindering progress, however. First, the lack of parking. You can only have as much business as you have parking, and parking is virtually non-existent as it in most downtowns. There is also the slow progress due to the local government officials bickering at each other (anyone remember the fight over $400 trash cans?)
There is also the fact that Specialty Hospital located downtown is closing in a couple years and relocating to north State of Franklin. I believe this will be a hit to the downtown, as the hospital brought alot of traffic in the area.

Having said all that, the downtown area does have potential. There is (or at least was) talk of a private student housing development that, while not exactly downtown, was very close to the downtown in a vacant lot off State of Franklin. Most importantly, the developers were talking about making the building quite impressive looking in hopes of encouraging others in the area to increase their curb appeal. If the area gets a facelift, a few more parking spaces, and a little luck, downtown can be much more vibrant than it is today.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

27 posts, read 56,417 times
Default Would the forum

moderator...or anyone else have some overall view pics of the downtown area?

I'd like to see some, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,112,614 times
Sure do. Do a search for Johnson City pics or pictures on here, there are quite a few.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 26,309 times
I've lived in JC for 30 years and was born in SW VA so know somewhat about the area. As of this date the City of Johnson City is mostly talking the talk but not walking the walk in terms of Downtown. Yes, it did put in street and sewer infrastructure for the Tipton St. development by URA, but have delayed doing anything serious about the flooding problem for at least another year. If the potential for serious floods isn't relieved the chances of serious re-development along Main and Market from Fountain square toward 11E are minimal. Further, there is a movement afoot to disband or alter the JCDA to the point where it will not be functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol