U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 PM

67 posts, read 223,257 times

Advertisements

I posted this a long time ago, but we have had a major change this week so I have started looking again up there for jobs. My husband just heard their company is being bought out. They are out of a job as of mid-Dec, but that gives us some lead time & he gets a severance package etc...

This is the perfect opportunity for us to consider moving to the Tri-Cities. I have been looking again & still cannot find any IT jobs or very few listed. I was told that they are just not posted on the major search engines...so if not there how are these jobs advertised? I did not see any in the paper either, but maybe there are publications or locally used sites I don't know about.

Does anyone know of any mid-sized to larger companies that have IT needs. My husband is a Unix Administrator with 10 yrs of experience so he really does not want to have to start over with programming. He said he would consider moving up there (its where I am from originally), but I have got to find some job prospects. We are going up this weekend to just check out the area. I am up there to visit my parents, but I have not driven to JC lately or seen what Bristol & Blountville looks like these days. I guess worse case we could consider Knoxville, but I really love that area right near the VA state line.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Julie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 AM

86 posts, read 315,204 times
...will send you a PM.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,015,301 times
kpt always has GREAT info and leads so follow those, the other option is to get a hold of some employment placement companies. There are a lot of Tri-Cities companies that hire this way. Eastman is one of the largest employers as well as the hospitals but they hire through their own web sites. Eastman's is easy www.eastman.com and choose Kingsport location. The other is Mountain States Health Alliance
Good luck and we'll be happy to have ya!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:51 PM

67 posts, read 223,257 times
Thanks...we actually went up this weekend & had a great time. I posted about it. We got the book from the Chamber of Commerce & it has a lot of the tech companies listed & I am emailing all of them. I need to go out and update his profile on Eastman's webpage. I guess we will see if we can find anything. My husband was more impressed with it than I thought he would be. :-)

Julie

Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,479 times
Default IT Jobs

I am moving from Raleigh, NC within two months and I can't seem to locate any good IT jobs there. The last time I was Johnson City was back in 1996 when I graduated from Daniel Boone. If anyone can list a few large IT businesses I would really appreciate it.

Joseph

Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,342,364 times
Saratoga Technologies is a thriving IT company based in JC.

Other relatively large IT employers not already mentioned here include Holston Medical Group, Wellmont, ETSU, Eastman Credit Union, and First Tennessee Bank.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,479 times
Default Downtown Johnson City revitalization

My mother, whom lives in Jonesborough, keeps telling me that "they" are revitalizing downtown Johnson City. I was there this past week visiting her and I was driving downtown around 200 Main Street and downtown looks run down as it has been for the past 11 years. Does anyone know of any IT related work being done and by whom in this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol