Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times

Advertisements

OMG!

My sister in law will be moving here to stay with us until she finds a job and she has 3 kids to enroll in elementary school, we live in Jonesborough off of Old Jonesborough highway between JC and JB.

My youngest son was in HS when we moved here, so I have no experience with any of the elementary schools here. Her kids ages are 6, 8, 10.

And my eldest son is moving here too and plans on going to ETSU, I will be a full-time student starting next month (in addition to working FT).

So I went from being 1 reluctant birdie from being an empty nester, to having a big ol' fat nest full again

Are the elementary schools here good? Is it possible to start in Jan or will they have to wait until next fall?

I'm getting too old for small kids running around but it'll be fun to see the boys again and helping the sister in law get on her feet after her recent set backs

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
The schools IMO are neither bad nor great if you're in the city system. I can't comment on Washington County, but I do worry about those schools.

Again IMO what kids get out of school depends on two things: 50% having a good teacher; 50% having good parents that support the teacher and emphasize education in general.

I would expect they would need to be in school ASAP, unless you just have a hankerin' to home school.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM

107 posts, read 257,878 times
They will have to enroll as soon as they arrive. They would fall behind a year if they don't, but I think it's also illegal in the state of TN not to enroll children in school. You could also register to homeschool them, but something has to be on file somewhere.

I've honestly never heard very good things about the county schools, but her children won't have a choice unless she can send them to a private school or register to homeschool them. If she isn't happy with the schools then perhaps she can move to JC as soon as she gets settled into a new job etc.

It looks like your life is about to get a little more exciting. Good luck

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

218 posts, read 417,090 times
Don't fret - Jonesborough elementary school ( the round building) is actually a very good school with some great teachers. You will need your sister-in-law to contact the Washington County schools - Central office as soon as they get settled - I am assuming they will be using your address. If she does not like the school - there are options - J.C. City schools - tutition accepted- ETSU - University School - lottery - She has to apply and names are drawn like a lottery - school is free - one class per grade level. Private schools, St, Mary's, Ashley Academy and Providence all accept students and have scholarship programs for financial need. Washington County Schools are decent and in some respect better than the J.C. schools. With this being Christmas break-the children will start in January. Good luck to you and your family - Happy Holidays

Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
We live in Telford and my neighbors all have nothing but good things to say about Grandview Elementary which is the new school located on 11E just a bit past the Jonesborough Flea Market.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Don't forget to get copies of their school records (including shot records) and HAND carry them to the new school. Sometimes they may balk but will do it in the end.
We moved many times when our kid was young and learned real quick how records either A. Get lost B. The school you're leaving "forgets" to send them C. Sends them when they "get around to it" which could be months.
We also carried his medical file letting the new docs copy it if needed for the same reasons. If some emergency comes up you don't have time to wait for records and are usually to wound up in the emergency to remember every little detail.
Just a suggestion for peace of mind.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
I have heard very good things since ive been here (10 years) about both Washington County schools, depending on which one. I think Jonesborough Elementary is supposed to be good, as the other poster pointed out. My reservation has been the budget cuts that the county school commissioner has been fussing about for the past 2-3 years. Essentially, he is saying that budget is the same as before they built the two new schools (they never funded the new schools) and the operating expenses have gone way up both with stuff that is in their control and those that are mandated but unfunded mandates from the state (gotta love those).

So really I think that the reputation of the schools might be useless because they are formed over time- and might not reflect the new realities. Im sure there are dedicated teachers, just might be some old textbook (which do not matter in most subjects) and the buildings might be not as maintained as they once were, might be less funding on athletics, etc.

Good luck, sounds like your life is going to get very hectic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol