Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty neat idea from Scott Niswonger.

Rediscover Greeneville Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Hmmmmm, I lived in Greeneville for 19 years, so this is a really interesting idea. A pedestrian-oriented downtown would be a huge shift, as anyone who's walked around Main or Depot streets can attest to! Still, downtown Greeneville is one of the most beautiful of the cities -- I really like it better than Kingsport and Elizabethton, and definitely more than JC.

If it turned out like the pictures on the page, I might think about moving back!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 AM

27 posts, read 59,614 times
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
This is a pretty neat idea from Scott Niswonger.

Rediscover Greeneville Tennessee
The link was great. From the video, a very nice looking and deeply rooted cultural district.

I've visited Greeneville before (circa 1970-' - '80's), but didn't spend time looking...mostly visiting relatives I've lost touch with, and with whom I hope to reconnect.

Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmmmmm, I lived in Greeneville for 19 years, so this is a really interesting idea. A pedestrian-oriented downtown would be a huge shift, as anyone who's walked around Main or Depot streets can attest to! Still, downtown Greeneville is one of the most beautiful of the cities -- I really like it better than Kingsport and Elizabethton, and definitely more than JC.

If it turned out like the pictures on the page, I might think about moving back!
I grew up in Greeneville my whole life and would move back easily if there were more job opportunities. I love the area. People say there is nothing to do, but I disagree. Tons of outdoor stuff to do, nice downtown, and concerts come pretty regularly now with Capital Theatre & NPAC.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
Smile Thinking of relocating

Hi, I am new to all this! and I am interested in relocating to the Greeneville, Tennessee area. I have lived in Florida for over 30 years and am looking for a change in climate, etc. I visited the Gatlinburg area and have talked to people from Tennessee and all have said how friendly everybody is. I'm wondering how easy it is to fit in? I'm a single woman in my 40's and would be moving there alone. I am wondering about the weather, I do like the cold weather, but would not like a brutal winter , 30s, would be okay, but have never driven in the snow. Just wondering if I could get some feedback about the area. Also, is it a dry town?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinabin View Post
Hi, I am new to all this! and I am interested in relocating to the Greeneville, Tennessee area. I have lived in Florida for over 30 years and am looking for a change in climate, etc. I visited the Gatlinburg area and have talked to people from Tennessee and all have said how friendly everybody is. I'm wondering how easy it is to fit in? I'm a single woman in my 40's and would be moving there alone. I am wondering about the weather, I do like the cold weather, but would not like a brutal winter , 30s, would be okay, but have never driven in the snow. Just wondering if I could get some feedback about the area. Also, is it a dry town?
I will not lie, I'm a Greeneville local but sometimes people from Greeneville are hesitant of "outsiders." Definitely not near as bad as Newport, or some other areas, but some are. Honestly it can be a little difficult in Greeneville if you don't know anyone. My best suggestion would be to join a church.

Weather can get cold in the winter down to the 20's occasionally, but generally it is in the 30's. There is most always some snow in the winter, but it is just usually a dusting and not too bad.

It is not dry. There is not really much of a nightlife. One of the most popular bars is the Hyperion. There is also an Applebee's and Fatz (local chain similar to Applebees) that serve alcohol and have bars. And, a local place called Augustino's, it is an italian restaurant with good food and a small bar. They are talking about opening up another one downtown on the page, but it may be a couple years before that happens. For nightlife you'd want to go up to Johnson City (about 30 mins) - lots of bars, clubs, concerts, etc. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,356 times
Having been born and raised in Greeneville I must say it is a great place to grow up, visit, or retire, but I would not live there if you are trying to make a living and a career. I got out of there ASAP after high school and am happier for it. Greeneville has grown a lot since I left, but there is still not enough there to warrant moving there out of the blue unless those first three things I listed apply to you.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
Well, I would be relocating w/my employment. I'm more concerned about being able to meet new people and being accepted. It would be a huge move for me and I really would like to get a feel of the area before uprooting the past almost 40 years of my life!!!! I am interested in relocating to a place where there are season changes, friendly people, but am not interested in too brutal of a winter, say Wisconsin or something. A couple inches of snow I could probably handle, but feet no way!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Here is a suggestion. There are places in between Greeneville and Johnson City that might fit your needs. Short commute to work (10-15 minutes) to Greeneville and a short trip (10-15 minutes) to night life, entertainment, shopping etc in Johnson City. Maybe somewhere just west of Jonesborough which is a nice town which is seeing some transplants moving in who seems to be excepted and enjoying life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol