U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:03 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,583,462 times

Advertisements

After I took the road by Winged Deer Park, by some of the Boone Lake communities, I crossed North Roan St at Boones Creek Rd and headed up Old Gray Station Rd to Gray.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 21,147 times
Those are beautiful pics, looks like where we want to go. Is this a place for us (we have a 2yr old)

Old 09-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Well Shoot! please don't base where you want to move based on my pictures. That is WAY to much pressure for me. hahahahaha Kinda like judging a book by it's cover thing. Tell us a bit more of what you are looking for in a "home town" other than just pretty views, because that particular requirement can be found in LOTS of East TN towns.
As far as you having a 2 year old, with school coming up in a few years, I can tell you this, the Gray school is fantastic! I have a son at that school and we love it.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 21,147 times
Default Just need to get out of FL

I've been looking all over the US... I'm from Virginia, and my wife is from West Virginia, but we dont want to go back to niether. We're looking for an area where we can buy some land, build a house, and not be next dooor to track homes and <another> Wal-Mart. The pay is going downhill and the crime rate is going uphill, this is what we DON'T want in a place to live. Just a nice piece of land and a good place to raise my daughter (and broadband, we own a net-based business)

Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM

Default I hear ya!

I moved my children out of South Fl (Northern West Palm Beach County) in 97 for the same reasons, plus the schools. My parents followed me up a few years after that and last week my brother has expressed that they are soon to follow with their son. So I do understand. I think you will be able to find what you have just said you are looking for here. Do some research on the state, counties and towns web sites. Check out the local newspapers, I can give you those links if you need them, just shoot me an email. Tell us what else you need in a place, maybe we can help you pin point an area in TN better?
Good luck to you and your family!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 AM

I am moving this up to the front page for Kimmiey who asked to see pictures of Gray TN. This is more the Boones Creek area of Gray. I will find the ones I posted of the other side of Gray too.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM

290 posts, read 964,167 times
Default Homesick for Gray!

Thanks for posting those pictures!

I currently live in Nashville, but those pictures sure brought back memories for me. The first one looks like it was taken near Boones Creek Middle School, which was a combination Middle/High School back when I went there in 1971-1972. Also, that wide 5 lane highway was only a two lane road, with none of the businesses seen in your picture. To the right about 1 mile down the road, from where your picture was taken, was one house, where Ingles is now, which was situated in the middle of a tobacco field. My parents live up at the top of the hill near Zak's Furniture Company. Johnson City/Gray sure has changed.

I remember Johnson City pretty much ended at the Bristol-Kingsport Highway Split in the 60's. There was a statue at the split, which I think is in a city park on further out the Bristol Highway now.

My grandparents lived behind the Pet Dairy Building and I have many fond memories of visiting during our vacations from Texas (Daddy was in the Air Force) of the drive-in movie where the Pizza Hut is now and the old Texas Steer Restaurant where the Bay Station is located.

We lived in the Tri-Cities area while Daddy was stationed at various places overseas. In the early 60's we (brother, sisters and Mother) lived with our Grandmother behind the Pet Dairy Building. In the Mid 60's, we lived in Kingsport on Sevier Avenue. The late 60's, we lived on Lakeview Drive in Johnson City. My Father retired in the early 70's to Boones Creek and has been there ever since. I, also, lived in Bluff City in the mid-70's to early 80's before moving to Nashville. (I went to 14 different schools in 12 years.)

Sorry I think I hijacked this thread, but I was overtaken by my desire to stroll down memory lane.
Again, thanks for the great pictures!
Buzz

Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 PM

My hubby was reading this with me and from the dates you mentioned, you and he are about the same age, you might be a few years older?? But when he was born, his family and he lived on Lakeview, 2 blocks off of Wautauga. How funny would it be if you two were childhood friends??? LOL!!!
He has never left this area, went to schools and college at ETSU and still here. Says he will never leave, I sure won't try to convince him as we love it here, as do the kids.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:26 AM

92 posts, read 341,833 times
MbMouse thank you for posting the pictures of your home town. I can't get over how green everything is. I still wish power and telephone companies would bury their lines, as they are such a eye sore. On the other post you said you lived in a sub-division that doesn't bother me as I have lived in them most of my life. I only want 1/2 to 1 acre of property as anything larger is to hard to maintain. We are not going to build a house, as I would want to be there to make sure everything was being done right, and that is not possible. There are so many homes on the market that we will not have a hard time finding one that is just right for us. We will be down sizing as we will be retiring there and this will be the last move for us.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM

290 posts, read 964,167 times
Default Living on Lakeview Drive in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
My hubby was reading this with me and from the dates you mentioned, you and he are about the same age, you might be a few years older?? But when he was born, his family and he lived on Lakeview, 2 blocks off of Wautauga. How funny would it be if you two were childhood friends??? LOL!!!
He has never left this area, went to schools and college at ETSU and still here. Says he will never leave, I sure won't try to convince him as we love it here, as do the kids.
Good evening,

I know the area where your husband grew up. I lived on the other end of Lakeview, near the I-26 Overpass, only it wasn't there in the 60's. I think the address was 1307.

I went to North Junior High from 1967-1968, before moving to California when my Dad returned from Vietnam and was transferred to Winton, CA. We moved back into the area in 1971 and I went to Boones Creek High School, which was the Home of the "Bars". I had to ask someone what a "bar" was. Rumor has it, there is a tree somewhere near there where Daniel Boone inscribed on it, "On this spot, Daniel Boone killed a "bar". So, Boones Creek named their team after the "Bars". I graduated from University High in 1972.

I would love to move back to Johnson City, but unfortunately, someone in my field, television video editor, cannot make much money in that area. I worked at both Channels 11 and 5 in the 70's and 80's. It seems I had a much better time working there and not making much money than working here in Nashville and making more money. I really liked those two TV Stations.

I worked at Channel 5's tv transmitter on Holston Mtn. from time to time. Talk about beautiful scenery and a view! Especially in the winter.

I create web sites of traffic and web cameras as a hobby. I made one for the Tri-Cities, which displays the weather and a few cameras I have found around the area. One of the cameras is from the Channel 5 Transmitter on Holston Mountain. I hope it is ok to post the ip address of the website so you can check out the view from Holston Mountain. You may have to hit refresh on your browser to get the image to display correctly. I sometimes get the big "dreaded red x" when I first click onto the page. The address is http://buzzrawls.home.att.net/Tri-Cities.html (broken link)

I am 53 and may return to the area when I retire, if my wife wants to move. She likes it up there as well. She is originally from South Dakota.

Johnson City is still a great city, even though it is growing like crazy. I only get up that way once or twice a year.

Again, my apologies for drifting off the subject of this thread.

Buzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol