Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times

Advertisements

If it is just going to be you and your looking a transferring out in about 2 year, I would just kick up in an apartment and save money for the next hop. You said she will be a Physicians Assistant right? There could be a chance for her to intern up here in JC at the VA Hospital. John Quinlin (spelling) VA Medical Center addressed as Mountain Home but it is Johnson City. That might get you two some time together in the future.

As far as prices and where... I will leave that to those more knowledgeable. I have only been in JC since December... but so far I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Johnson City is by far going to be your best bet, but if you're coming from a city, doing even the basics here (grocery shopping, commuting, shopping/dining options, etc) can be restrictive and hassling. Kingsport's demographic skews way older and Bristol has been severely battered by the recession. Johnson City isn't perfect, but it's certainly the best thing going between Asheville, Knoxville, and Roanoke.

Unless you are living in the city of Johnson City itself, you can look at a 20-30 minute drive, at least, to get basic goods. Commuting from Johnson City to TRI is going to be around half an hour, depending on what area of the city you live in. Johnson City has fairly substantial traffic for a city of its size as well, especially on I-26 and State of Franklin Parkway during rush hour.

Living in Greeneville and commuting up to TRI is reasonable, but will be pushing the limits of your commute. If the significant other commutes to Knoxville from Greeneville during rush hour, I would say this could be an hour and a half one way, more if it's going to west Knoxville. I was driving from Kingsport to Southwest VA for two years before I left, which was 500 miles a week, and was paying about $300 a month strictly in work gas this winter before I left in a 30 mpg vehicle. If you get two places, then you're paying for both residences. If you don't, your gas bill will be around your rent. This is certainly not an easy situation to be in.

I grew up in the Tri-Cities and just relocated to Des Moines IA and, unfortunately, I couldn't recommend living in the Tri-Cities for a young person. There just isn't enough to do, not enough well-paying jobs outside of the medical field, and few opportunities for career growth. If you have a job that pays well and like rural living, maybe it could be worth it for you for a few years.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 03-19-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnobg View Post
After thinking about it a lot this is what I've been thinking myself and probably the most rational solution. If it's only an hour and a half to two hours between johnson city and knoxville than that's not a horrible idea. Better than even further away and paying for a plane ticket every few weeks or month. Luckily, it should only be for two years.

I will look into Johnson City housing. Would you guys prefer renting an apartment, house, or what? Money isn't a big issue I'd say $900 or less to be reasonable for a one, maybe two bedroom.
Boones Creek area in North Johnson City - 15 to 20 minute commute to TRI, good choice of apartments along North Roan / HWY36. An example: hwy 36 - Google Maps

My second choice would be Northeast Johnson City on the Bristol HWY. Many more nice apts there, some on the lake. An example: lake village ct 37601 - Google Maps

Third choice would be The Haven at Knob Creek. The Haven At Knob Creek

$900 budget should get you about anything you want.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
All depends on what you're looking for. I agree that Boones Creek, Gray and North JC are good options. They're also a lot quieter than living in the southside. If you're pretty young, don't mind an extra 10 minute drive to work, and want to live closer to the university, college kids, and downtown's bar/live music scene, you might want to take a look down there. It'll really take a visit to the area to see what "fits" you best!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM

44 posts, read 66,326 times
Thank you all so much for the pointers! Since I will be moving into something outside my comfort zone without any friends, an area with people close to my age would probably be nice to meet some people. I've been looking at apartments and stuff the Haven looks really nice. Johnson City is probably the place for me. I will be going to check out the area within the next few months.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM

44 posts, read 66,326 times
What kind of stuff is there to do around the area? Obviously a lot of outdoor stuff which I do like. Other things I enjoy..which I really can't here in the city: sport shooting, hunting, fishing. What would someone my age do to pass time on the weekends?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times
Pick up some yoyo's and join in throwing with this 40 y.o. kid...lol. There is fishing in the area. I do believe there is a indoor shooting range in JC. There is also an Hunting and shooting club out near Bays Mountain in Kingsport you can join for a fee. Hiking is all around. Roan Mountain is very nice and a section of the Appalachian Trail is there. Clubs or Bars in JC ..I don't go to but there is the Electric Cowboy. There is also New Beginnings but I understand that leans more to the Gay / Lesbian lifestyle... but anyone can go without problems. Kingsport has a yearly "Funfest". Bristol has their version of a funfest 2 times a year... it's called getting through the race traffic...lol. If your girl gets up here with you, go stroll around Jonesborough. That's all I can think of off hand.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Tons of hunting and fishing... there's an active JC cycling club that does city runs, not sure if they do any mountain biking or not. Hiking all around, check out Roan Mountain (especially the balds). North Carolina ski country is also really close... Google Ski Beech, Sugar Mountain. You and your girlfriend will want to check out Asheville on nice weekends, especially its downtown. There's a drum circle every Friday in the park that you won't want to miss. AVL is also Beer City and there's tons of craft breweries. Biltmore House is a fun way to pass a day, too.

http://www.exploreasheville.com/

There's whitewater rafting on the Nolichucky:
Nolichucky River rafting, Tennessee whitewater rafting, North Carolina whitewater rafting
Nolichucky River White Water Rafting

Umm... trying to think what else. Like BP72 said, there are clubs and bars in Johnson City. The best are probably Tipton St. Pub, 112 Downtown, Halo, Newman's, and Capone's. Bailey's is an okay sports bar. Chrome, Electric Cowboy and New Beginnings are clubs, but our club scene isn't that great.

There are some great restaurants in JC... Freiberg's, Taste Budz Downtown, The Firehouse, The Battery (is supposed to be good, it's new, haven't tried it), Jack's City Grill, Mellow Mushroom, Cootie Brown's, Moto's, Miso.... just trying to get some ideas in your head!

There's Cardinal Stadium and ETSU just built (or rather is still building) a new baseball stadium for their team. You'll probably head down to UT for Vols football especially if your girlfriend lives there.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 AM

Oops, one more: The Down Home - Johnson City, TN est 1976 - Front Page

Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
You'll want to check out Shooters Edge.
Flyfishing is good in the area, bass fishing is ok.
The local marinas are often a great place to hang out and meet people in the summer. There's a good marina about a mile from where you'll be working.

What were your favorite things to do on the weekend in Jacksonville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol