Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

44 posts, read 66,333 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently live in Jacksonville, Florida the biggest city in the country in square miles with all of it's suburbs etc. I have just found out that I got an air traffic control job with the FAA at Tri-City Regional Airport in Blountville, TN. I am only 23 years old and after a bit of research for the area it makes me kind of nervous. The area looks absolutely beautiful and I love doing outdoors stuff, but I am used to the city life and everything being so close. I grew up in upstate NY so I know I can handle the rural life but it will be hard to adjust back to after being in the city for 15 years. With that being said does anyone have any advice as far as the best area to live for someone like me? I am willing to drive up to 30-40 miles as well one way to commute to work. Any other advice/info about the area n is greatly appreciated too! I have visited Memphis but never been anywhere else in TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnobg View Post
Hello all,

I currently live in Jacksonville, Florida the biggest city in the country in square miles with all of it's suburbs etc. I have just found out that I got an air traffic control job with the FAA at Tri-City Regional Airport in Blountville, TN. I am only 23 years old and after a bit of research for the area it makes me kind of nervous. The area looks absolutely beautiful and I love doing outdoors stuff, but I am used to the city life and everything being so close. I grew up in upstate NY so I know I can handle the rural life but it will be hard to adjust back to after being in the city for 15 years. With that being said does anyone have any advice as far as the best area to live for someone like me? I am willing to drive up to 30-40 miles as well one way to commute to work. Any other advice/info about the area n is greatly appreciated too! I have visited Memphis but never been anywhere else in TN.
Congrats on the job! You should look into living in Johnson City. There is a medical school and university there. There will be the most people your age. It is a city that is small but will provide you the best "city-life" the region has to offer. The airport is centrally located so you can live about anywhere in the Tri Cities and be 15-20 min from work. I have no idea about your pay but try to look into apartment complexes that are away from the university such as The Haven so you aren't in the undergraduate party life.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Agreed ^ Bristol will probably seem small to you and Johnson City and Kingsport will too, but to a lesser degree. Johnson City has a 'college town' vibe in some areas, and other areas are heavily focused on medical or retail. Are you coming for a visit before you accept the job offer?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM

The pay will allow me to pretty much freely live anywhere I want even on the training salary. That isn't an issue at all but I will only rent for a year or two in case I transfer out when I finish training and get certified. I do plan on visiting for a few days or a week but it isn't an offer I can turn down in this career. For a new hire out of college you don't get choices as far as where they put you and it's not an opportunity I am going to decline. I can transfer a couple years after.

From what you have said, Johnson City seems the best fit for my age. How long of a drive is Knoxville, and is greeneville a good city? My girlfriend is looking to relocate close with me but unfortunately she has to go to an accredited PA school and the closest is Knoxville. Greeneville seems to be in between which would help me stay close

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times
Jax Native here. Been around this area roughly 7 years. Johnson City will feel better to be in. I have moved around this area and JC just feels like my best fit for the region. Just so you know, traveling from JC to Bristol or Kingsport will be about like traveling from Westside to Northside (Think like 103rd or Blanding to Dunn Ave.). Just going from one pocket of neighborhoods to another via 295 except for more scenic views. Forget the view of the Florida Flatlands.

Knoxville is about a 1 hour drive. I have not been in Greenville so I can't tell you much about there.

If your into college sports, JU comes up a lot for Basketball and Baseball. ETSU got rid of it's football team so none of that going on here.

Last edited by BP72; 03-18-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Jax Native here. Been around this area roughly 7 years. Johnson City will feel better to be in. I have moved around this area and JC just feels like my best fit for the region. Just so you know, traveling from JC to Bristol or Kingsport will be about like traveling from Westside to Northside (Think like 103rd or Blanding to Dunn Ave.). Just going from one pocket of neighborhoods to another via 295 except for more scenic views. Forget the view of the Florida Flatlands.

Knoxville is about a 1 hour drive. I have not been in Greenville so I can't tell you much about there.

If your into college sports, JU comes up a lot for Basketball and Baseball. ETSU got rid of it's football team so none of that going on here.
Thanks a lot for that comparison! That's not a bad drive. I drive 35 miles one way to work now so making a lot more money and maybe having a long drive doesn't bother me. I didn't realize Knoxville was only an hour. Is that from JC area?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times
I looked it up but I was off. JC to Knoxville is at 100 Miles.... so a little longer than an hour unless you got a heavy foot. It's been a couple of years since I went down there. It is basically a straight shot drive though on Hwy 81.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Knoxville is 1.5 hours. But I'm going to go ahead and predict that you'll like Asheville (cool mountain city with a vibrant downtown) better, which is ~1hr from Johnson City. Asheville, NC to Johnson City, TN 37602 - Google Maps

Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I grew up in Greeneville.

If you're going to split commutes, one to TRI airport and one to Knoxville, Greeneville is the only rational choice. That's still going to present you with a heavy commute. Greeneville to Knoxville can be well over an hour, depending on where you're going. The commute from Greeneville to the TRI Airport can also easily be an hour. Greeneville and Knoxville are both long towns, and depending on where you live, you can add or subtract 15-20 minutes.

Additionally, Greeneville is very small (despite its sprawl) and very Appalachian. There are very few city people around these parts and no night life. If you're not sure about liking the area in general there's no way I would recommend the city.

I don't know, but your situation sounds really tough. Is there any way she could live in Knoxville, you in Johnson City, and you guys visit often for a couple years? I know that's tough, but the alternatives just aren't that great.

By the way, this is a beautiful area. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just portray this option accurately.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I grew up in Greeneville.

If you're going to split commutes, one to TRI airport and one to Knoxville, Greeneville is the only rational choice. That's still going to present you with a heavy commute. Greeneville to Knoxville can be well over an hour, depending on where you're going. The commute from Greeneville to the TRI Airport can also easily be an hour. Greeneville and Knoxville are both long towns, and depending on where you live, you can add or subtract 15-20 minutes.

Additionally, Greeneville is very small (despite its sprawl) and very Appalachian. There are very few city people around these parts and no night life. If you're not sure about liking the area in general there's no way I would recommend the city.

I don't know, but your situation sounds really tough. Is there any way she could live in Knoxville, you in Johnson City, and you guys visit often for a couple years? I know that's tough, but the alternatives just aren't that great.

By the way, this is a beautiful area. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just portray this option accurately.
After thinking about it a lot this is what I've been thinking myself and probably the most rational solution. If it's only an hour and a half to two hours between johnson city and knoxville than that's not a horrible idea. Better than even further away and paying for a plane ticket every few weeks or month. Luckily, it should only be for two years.

I will look into Johnson City housing. Would you guys prefer renting an apartment, house, or what? Money isn't a big issue I'd say $900 or less to be reasonable for a one, maybe two bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol