U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
 
199 posts, read 468,905 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

The job market is terrible here and the pay is quite lower than what you'd expect in other areas. For example I have a friend and with his title $35,000 a year at a local paper but in the DC area he'd be making $60,000 to $80,000. Even my low end job I'd be making roughly $3 more an hour if I transferred out west or up north. Yes its cheap to live here very inexpensive but you'll get paid half of what you did somewhere else assuming you can even find a job here. That just doesn't make up for it no matter how cheap it is to live here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,536 posts, read 21,393,949 times
Reputation: 35009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeinauer View Post
Thanks so much for all the information. I think it's smartest for us to experience it firsthand. We're going to go out there in the next 2-4 weeks for a weekend and drive around all over.

It still sounds like a decent place to me. I got VERY lucky with my house, and how much equity is in it. So the job market isn't terribly that big of a deal with us. I was the manager of a call center at my last job, so are completely familiar with that line of work. It also sounds like it may even be a nice place to open up your own business.

Thanks again!

-Pat
If you have equity and money you're bringing in from outside, I would give the area more consideration. Even then, unless you're coming with loads of money, I would recommend a bare minimum of one year of your standard expenses in CA (to give yourself a cushion, even though the cost of living here is lower) in addition to whatever your estimated moving expenses are.

A call center background will be valued in east TN since there are many call centers in the area. Many of these call centers have a reputation for "revolving door" hiring and firing practices for entry level personnel and the pay will likely be considerably less than what you have made. You will have to decide if your prior management background is likely to be worth less than $40k.

The job market here really is a lot worse than the headline numbers would lead you to believe - though the unemployment RATE has come down notably since the trough of the recession, many of the new jobs are being generated in retail, restaurants, and health care, fields which are typically low-paying and are not usually going to generate a middle class lifestyle. Job quality in this area, like many others, has gone down, but Appalachia trails in education, health care, etc, and this makes it considerably difficult for the area to equip itself for the jobs of tomorrow.

Some of us in this thread may seem unreasonably pessimistic. However, I've seen many posts on here and people I knew personally wanting to come to/did come to east TN from out of the area thinking it was a low cost of living oasis, without realizing how poor the prevailing wage was or the lack of dynamism in the local economy. California, for all of its faults, cannot be said to possess an economy lacking in dynamism, and even though the job market may be "tougher" there, there are many more outlets for labor to flow.

Even with all this noted, if you can bring your own money and the job market is simply of no concern to you, east TN is a great, pro-business area with low taxes and few onerous regulatory burdens. Once you have the money to enjoy the area, it's a low stress, low crime, low tax environment, but it's getting to this point that's a problem for most people
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 AM
 
17 posts, read 22,605 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you have equity and money you're bringing in from outside, I would give the area more consideration. Even then, unless you're coming with loads of money, I would recommend a bare minimum of one year of your standard expenses in CA (to give yourself a cushion, even though the cost of living here is lower) in addition to whatever your estimated moving expenses are.

A call center background will be valued in east TN since there are many call centers in the area. Many of these call centers have a reputation for "revolving door" hiring and firing practices for entry level personnel and the pay will likely be considerably less than what you have made. You will have to decide if your prior management background is likely to be worth less than $40k.

The job market here really is a lot worse than the headline numbers would lead you to believe - though the unemployment RATE has come down notably since the trough of the recession, many of the new jobs are being generated in retail, restaurants, and health care, fields which are typically low-paying and are not usually going to generate a middle class lifestyle. Job quality in this area, like many others, has gone down, but Appalachia trails in education, health care, etc, and this makes it considerably difficult for the area to equip itself for the jobs of tomorrow.

Some of us in this thread may seem unreasonably pessimistic. However, I've seen many posts on here and people I knew personally wanting to come to/did come to east TN from out of the area thinking it was a low cost of living oasis, without realizing how poor the prevailing wage was or the lack of dynamism in the local economy. California, for all of its faults, cannot be said to possess an economy lacking in dynamism, and even though the job market may be "tougher" there, there are many more outlets for labor to flow.

Even with all this noted, if you can bring your own money and the job market is simply of no concern to you, east TN is a great, pro-business area with low taxes and few onerous regulatory burdens. Once you have the money to enjoy the area, it's a low stress, low crime, low tax environment, but it's getting to this point that's a problem for most people
Yeah, I think this is a pertfect example to the cliche "the grass is always greener on the other side".

With people's posts saying "the job markets are bad, and the same positions pay higher everywhere else" think of this. You're between 20-32 years old. You aren't making 70k$/yr. You are going to be living with 3-4 other people in a 2 bdrm apartment paying about $1500-$1900/mo. If you are making $125+ a year/ then you can probably afford a nice condo/townhouse, or maybe a single family home in the "not so nice" part of town. If you're at $150-$200k/year, then you can live in an area that looks like most of tennessee is.

I have always dreamed of owning my own single family home. Here in southern california, it will most likely never happen. My fiance' and I are really people that enjoy staying at home, playing board games, or going to very close friend's houses and playing card / board games over there. We really don't take advantage of the Southern California lifestyle at all.

We'll be able to buy a house in the Tri Cities area with cash, and all of my experience lies in call center / retail type of jobs. I know the job market is tough there, but it sounds like it's just as difficult finding a job, as it is in California, without the 3-7 people per house lifestyle.

We're probably heading out there in 2 weeks to hang out for the weekend. Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent, or a couple of sites that we cannot miss while we're out there?

-Pat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 AM
 
199 posts, read 468,905 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeinauer View Post
Yeah, I think this is a pertfect example to the cliche "the grass is always greener on the other side".

With people's posts saying "the job markets are bad, and the same positions pay higher everywhere else" think of this. You're between 20-32 years old. You aren't making 70k$/yr. You are going to be living with 3-4 other people in a 2 bdrm apartment paying about $1500-$1900/mo. If you are making $125+ a year/ then you can probably afford a nice condo/townhouse, or maybe a single family home in the "not so nice" part of town. If you're at $150-$200k/year, then you can live in an area that looks like most of tennessee is.

I have always dreamed of owning my own single family home. Here in southern california, it will most likely never happen. My fiance' and I are really people that enjoy staying at home, playing board games, or going to very close friend's houses and playing card / board games over there. We really don't take advantage of the Southern California lifestyle at all.

We'll be able to buy a house in the Tri Cities area with cash, and all of my experience lies in call center / retail type of jobs. I know the job market is tough there, but it sounds like it's just as difficult finding a job, as it is in California, without the 3-7 people per house lifestyle.

We're probably heading out there in 2 weeks to hang out for the weekend. Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent, or a couple of sites that we cannot miss while we're out there?

-Pat
We're not really being negative just realistic. Not all of us drink the Tri-Cities is great flavored coolaide that many seem to be high on around here. I've had a number of friends move to other larger areas because they couldn't even find a job in their field. I've known others that have moved here and had to leave because they took such a huge pay cut they or couldn't find a job or at least a decent one to afford to stay here. Two of my friends moved to Knoxville because they could NOT find a job here others have moved to Asheville and Atlanta. Because they looked for years to stay local and couldn't get anything past a call center job and the call centers are awful in this area, food, or min wage retail.

This is why some of us in here are warning you, do NOT move to this area without a job lined up. You could be stuck with a house here and looking for a job for years and still not find anything, even if you do the field you are in might not make enough money for you here. Now I'll say the area is not all that bad but like the other poster said don't come here unless you have saved up quite a bit of cash and can live off that for a little while. You'll have to ride out the horrible job market here until you can hope to find something to actually live here on with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
4,029 posts, read 5,060,506 times
Reputation: 1721
Take a look at Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Gray, TN
2,165 posts, read 3,966,464 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicalMoodyDan View Post
We're not really being negative just realistic.

This is why some of us in here are warning you, do NOT move to this area without a job lined up. You could be stuck with a house here and looking for a job for years and still not find anything, even if you do the field you are in might not make enough money for you here. Now I'll say the area is not all that bad but like the other poster said don't come here unless you have saved up quite a bit of cash and can live off that for a little while. You'll have to ride out the horrible job market here until you can hope to find something to actually live here on with.
You are being negative because you only tell one half of the story. I know people who have found jobs recently. I also know people who are really struggling and can't find much. That's realistic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
 
1,045 posts, read 1,648,693 times
Reputation: 326
Your unemployment rate isn't really that high there is it? Seems if you have a good work history & a hard worker that you can get something. Maybe not the greatest right away, but something. Now here in CA with our 13% unemployment this is not true, there is nothing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
 
1,045 posts, read 1,648,693 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Take a look at Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC.
Is there really that much work in Asheville? Greenville seems to be getting more & more industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,536 posts, read 21,393,949 times
Reputation: 35009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Is there really that much work in Asheville? Greenville seems to be getting more & more industry.
Greenville is doing quite well at diversifying its economic base. Greenville is also substantially larger than the Tri-Cities. Asheville is a bit offbeat, both for its cultural vibe and its economy. Asheville is even worse off than the Tri-Cities with regard to well-paying professional jobs - it's heavily reliant on tourism and the cost of living there has been escalated by wealthy people from other areas buying second homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
You are being negative because you only tell one half of the story. I know people who have found jobs recently. I also know people who are really struggling and can't find much. That's realistic.
Isolated cases of prosperity can be found even in the most economically battered areas. People who have a specialized, in-demand skill that a region needs will have a higher likelihood of success. Others will simply get lucky. I will wager that, in the main, the salaries of those who have found jobs locally are below those of equivalent jobs in many other areas, even after adjusting for cost of living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
 
1,045 posts, read 1,648,693 times
Reputation: 326
[quote=ComicalMoodyDan;23819074]



"6. The job market STINKS!!!! Most of my friends have moved to larger cities for a job. Most everything here is retail, call center, factory work, and restaurant work. Yes the cost of living is cheap but the jobs are sparse and lower pay than other areas. DO NOT move here unless you have a job lined up"

So there is factory work available? My husband is a forklift driver & I'm in Health care & we would really like to move out there in the fall. He only makes $12.50(after 4 years), becasue of the bad economy here in CA & I can't find a job, even at Wal mart!! Not easy to live in CA on that $$!!He has an fabulous work history. We really want out of CA bad! Thanks for anyones help. I appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top