U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,645,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
California is an absolutely beautiful place for the most part. Arguably the best weather in the country. It's too bad there are so many social and economic problems there. I grew up in rural Oregon, so we made many trips down to NorCal and a few down to LA and SD.

The only thing I worry about moving to the Tri-Cities area is if it will become overrun like the area I grew up did. I watched beautiful countryside disappear under a crush of strip malls and godawful pod-people housing developments in a matter of a decade. I'm sure there are some locals in Eastern TN that resent the population growth, and I can understand their concerns. We have a family friend in Greenville SC who lives on 20 acres on what used to be the middle of nowhere. She watches with misery every year as the subdivisions and commercial developments sprawl closer, and the traffic on her once-deserted road gets worse and worse. I don't want to have to deal with that.
It's really sad because that happens to all the nice places, gets over run & there's no more country areas. I know that happned to Nashville, all the developers came in & bought out the ranches, etc. I loved Oregon many years ago & was sad to see how it had changed. I was raised in CA, left for 19 years & made the big mistake of coming back. It's very sad also to what has happened to CA & back in the day when so many people moved here. Every time I look to buy land, in the south, it seems to get further & further out. I think even Knoxville is getting that way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM

330 posts, read 935,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
It's really sad because that happens to all the nice places, gets over run & there's no more country areas. I know that happned to Nashville, all the developers came in & bought out the ranches, etc. I loved Oregon many years ago & was sad to see how it had changed. I was raised in CA, left for 19 years & made the big mistake of coming back. It's very sad also to what has happened to CA & back in the day when so many people moved here. Every time I look to buy land, in the south, it seems to get further & further out. I think even Knoxville is getting that way.
That was a knock on Knoxville when we went there for a visit. The city is lovely, but we weren't really impressed with the surrounding area. From what we saw we would have to be at least 30 minutes (just on a highway) from Knox to find property we liked.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
That was a knock on Knoxville when we went there for a visit. The city is lovely, but we weren't really impressed with the surrounding area. From what we saw we would have to be at least 30 minutes (just on a highway) from Knox to find property we liked.
Exactly how we felt when we went there. That's what changed our mind about moving there.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 22,519 times
Thanks so much everyone for the info.

My Fiance and I went out there in the middle of May and fell in love with the place. We found houses there that we can afford, and they are $700,000 houses out here in California. I guess you pay for the great weather.

We're still hell bent on moving there. That's a good sign for us. Thanks again everyone for your help during this difficult decision making time in our lives. We're shooting for the end of summer to be settled there.

-Pat

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 34,783 times
Default So - how was your visit???

I came across this thread in July, and I'm curious what your impression of this area is.

Having lived in Southern California, had this thread been active and recent, I would have said... check out Asheville, NC. Less culture shock for a Southern Californian.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInTn View Post
I came across this thread in July, and I'm curious what your impression of this area is.

Having lived in Southern California, had this thread been active and recent, I would have said... check out Asheville, NC. Less culture shock for a Southern Californian.
I'm in So CA, thinking of moving to E. TN. in the near future. So, if you had it to do over again would you have moved to Asheville instead of E. TN?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,397 times
Funny, we are in SoCal and can't afford it so we're moving to Johnson City, TN this winter. I am blessed though that we're not going cold turkey. We have an amazing circle of friends in the area; 10 friends in our costuming group. My husband is now a disabled vet and i'm on SSI and we finally got child support. We can't afford living in SoCal at all and I miss the small town feeling that parts of San Diego used to be; Lemon Grove, Ca. For what i've noticed about this Tri-City region, people are calm. No rush needed like life is in SoCal. And there is country all over but Tri-City still have our busy needs. There is a full VA hospital. And 5 different gymnastics centers to choice from for my gymnast daughter. And theatre and dance for my 7 year old dancing feet son. I'm hoping the area has 4H club. It's a program we no longer have in SoCal. My daughter would learn so much for her. My daughter is 9 and has ADHD and my son has TS and my 4 year old son is just a wired little brother! They need a yard and enough bedrooms and space. SoCal is not in our price range for those needs. I'll miss the beach but TN has everything else we need!

btw, hubby lived in Kansas City, Mo for 17 years and I lived there for 1 1/2 years. I hated the humidity. Creates migraines but we do what we have to do to have what the kids needs are.

Last edited by ZarahDiane; 07-27-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 AM

30 posts, read 34,783 times
Default Asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I'm in So CA, thinking of moving to E. TN. in the near future. So, if you had it to do over again would you have moved to Asheville instead of E. TN?
It was a bit more roundabout than that, quite a few years inbetween and lived in other places (Huntsville, Louisville, Nashville, etc)

Wanted to move to Asheville or nearby from Nashville in 2006, but housing was simply was too expensive at the time. Chose to live on the Tennessee side of the mountain range, in this rural paradise, beautiful home, several acres, the cost of which might have bought a nice trailer on the North Carolina side... plus no state tax in Tennessee.

I still like Asheville very much and go visit often.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 41,400 times

I've lived in Southern California my whole life and have been thinking of relocating for about the past 10 years (My fiance and I are in our early 40s). I just got laid off from a very secure company here, and am now thinking that now is a perfect time for relocation quite possibly to somewhere in the tri-cities area. I had a few questions for the members of this group, if you don't mind taking some time to answer and possibly from more then one person, I'd really appreciate it.

In southern California, people aren't terribly friendly here. If you don't know someone, walking by them on the street, you just don't say hello. If you are in your own neighborhood, or condo complex, then I usually say hello, but about 1/2 the people don't. So friendliness is a big deal to us.

#1: What's the weather like there? I can look and find the mins and
maxes online, but any serious dangers I should worry about?
(hurricanes or tornadoes). I don't mind a little snow, but anything
under 10 degrees is probably a bit too much. ** I have lived here for a year, having moved from South Dakota (so this is a treat in comparison) and have lived in several other regions to include AZ. The weather has a little bit of humidity in the summer and a few chilly days in the winter. We had a few dustings of snow last winter and everything closed down. After moving from a place with feet of snow most of the winter, it was a little different.

#2: What is your general impression of living there, love it or hate
it? ** The area is very beautiful, and there are many different types of people but the majority are very friendly and helpful. The people will say hello and ask how you are.

#3: What is the cultural and/or the religious diversity like there? Is it a
pretty diverse place (California is very much so)? ** there are several different religions (Catholic, to Methodist, to Baptist) and people are not afraid to talk about it. I haven't gotten the impression they are trying to convert me (I am a Christian and am actively looking for a permanent church). There are churches all over.

#4: What are the entertainment options? Are there a lot of
restaurants, movie theatres? My fiance' and I really like staying at
home so a huge night life isn't that important, but going out once a
week would be nice. *There are several eating places in the Tri City area, and it is only an hour from Asheville, NC / about 90 minutes to Knoxville. If you are interested in hiking, you can fill all of your weekends. The sports stores have guide books, people will mention their experience on certain trails, etc. Abingdon, VA is 45 minutes - one of the oldest Theatres "Barter Theatre" ... it is about 6 hours to DC, 5 hours to Charleston, 4 hours to Atlanta, and about 8 hours to Jacksonville, FL...

#5: What is the hospitality like? How friendly are people in and
around the area?

#6: What's the job market like? My Fiance' has product development,
and project management experience. I have a lot of people management
experience. I've been a supervisor / manager of people for 18+ years
now. ** I have found the job market a little tough, as it is most places... be friendly, talk to people - word of mouth is a great job finding tool!

#7: How are the home prices? We're looking for a somewhat decent
single family home / property for $90-$150k. Right now we live in a condo, that would sell for about $200k, and my condo would sell for about $300k. We're looking to buy somewhere much more affordable.
* Home prices are pretty good.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very excited to have found these forums. I saw a few posts about some other questions (about school and crime) that had definitely helped, so please forgive me if these answers are located in the forums somewhere. I really wanted to get the freshest view I could. Thanks in advance for any assistance that could be provided.

** Good luck!!

-Pat[/quote]

Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM

26 posts, read 41,400 times
Default Move to TN

Also ... keep in mind, the sales tax is higher here but there is not a State Income Tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol