U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 AM

12,694 posts, read 7,074,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I just spent the last two days exploring the area. JC to me feels like about 2/3 the size of Asheville. It's a fully fledged small city with all the usual chain stores and fast asian food. (I think I saw a Terayaki sign somewhere.) It's just 90 mins from Knoxville, so someone with a bigger city craving can scratch the itch periodically.

Apartments may be disappointing though. Most are old, two story townhouse-rowhouse style, with bleak landscaping and no carports or garages. There isn't the "breadth" of rentals that you find in a bigger city.

Hey Sean. Did you visit Kingsport of the other surrounding towns? If so thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,610,393 times
My frame of reference is someone who has generally lived in mid size cities. I am very familiar with Greensboro, Charlotte, and Raleigh. I lived in Orange County CA, and Fresno for several years.

However, there was a stint of 9 months living in a small subdivision in the Sierras, a few miles from a lakefront community. It did get "old" after a while. I found myself driving 40 miles to the city on the weekends to shop, see movies, visit the library, just generally explore. Eventually I broke my lease and moved out.

So I look at things cautiously based on that experience. JC might work for me. Bristol and Kingsport felt smaller and more isolated. I'm thinking of making another weekend trip to Knoxville for more study of the area.

Charlotte is a little too distant from the mountains for my taste. It's an hour just to drive to Kings or Crowder's Mountain. I like to see more relief to the land, which is one thing I liked about California. The problem there was, the general congenstion and high cost of living wore me down. And of course the state is a basket case of excessive debt. I'm glad I'm gone, and they can't tax the endgame out of me.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 09-16-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 22,507 times
I just realized that I never have told everyone that my wife and I made the trip the week before Labor Day weekend.

So far we absolutely love it here! We're beginning to look at houses now, love the weather, love the people. It's great!

One thing we've noticed is that it is hard to find a good Mexican restaurant. We've noticed that the cheese they use is very "creamy". Almost like they're using all jack cheese instead of jack and cheddar. Pablano's was good, and then we just went to Mocaljetes tonight. Pablano's salsa wasn't hot enough for me, but Mocaljetes was much better, and they have good guacamole.

Love the area, thanks again all!

-Pat

Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM

861 posts, read 1,120,773 times
Hey Pat,

Your posting somehow wound up on a Asheville, NC thread. AVL is in Western NC wheras the Tri Cities area is in the Eastern part of the state.

As a native Southern Californian who moved to Asheville from San Diego last year, I encourage you to get out of there ASAP! I cannot tell you anything about the Tri Cities area because I haven't visited yet, too much big city for me. I love it here in the mountains. Seriously, I'll NEVER move back to California. It's been ruined.

Best of luck.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM

192 posts, read 311,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg1231 View Post
I lived in San Diego for 29 years and just moved here in June. It is a culture shock! The cost of living is great but this summers humidity has been tough on me. As for things to do, it's nothing compared to California. Lots of outdoor things but you really need a boat during the summer. We live in Kingsport and we often take drives to north Carolina to get to more populated cities. If you are looking for a laid back lifestyle this is it. Your neighbors will be so nosy though!
I am from San Diego also and looking to move there. Would you be willing to share more with me about your experience moving there? How do they feel about Californians? Do you have examples of the culture shock? Was it easy to get used to?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,628,135 times
Where exactly in the area did you relocate to? We have a few good Mexican restaurants in Bristol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeinauer View Post
I just realized that I never have told everyone that my wife and I made the trip the week before Labor Day weekend.

So far we absolutely love it here! We're beginning to look at houses now, love the weather, love the people. It's great!

One thing we've noticed is that it is hard to find a good Mexican restaurant. We've noticed that the cheese they use is very "creamy". Almost like they're using all jack cheese instead of jack and cheddar. Pablano's was good, and then we just went to Mocaljetes tonight. Pablano's salsa wasn't hot enough for me, but Mocaljetes was much better, and they have good guacamole.

Love the area, thanks again all!

-Pat

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM

44 posts, read 130,128 times
We live in North Central FL. I'm originally from VA, hubby's from Oregon & we're both needing a change for so many reasons. The biggie is the very hot summers. We've enjoyed snorkeling the fresh water springs & shelling on beautiful beaches. But, in summer, we almost hide from the sun. It's intense. Here, the warmer-to-hot season begins in April & as of November (Thanksgiving Day) we were still running our A/C & 2 days later - running the heat!

So, after months of research, we are making a trip to NE TN the first week of December. A trip to look around & see how we "feel". Although, we won't move without work no matter how much we like it. If we do feel good about things, we hope to arrange for interviews (if all is perfect, right?) Then, we'll return in April for a week. A little thing about us: I miss the mountains of VA/WV & of course, my husband misses those of Oregon. He loves WV as much as I do, but the finding work there would be very slim. We have LOTS of family there, but that doesn't help us as they are all self-employed & in a VERY small town (2 red lights).

We were originally looking at Knoxville, but husband is thinking JC will be best - work-wise & being closer to the "beauty" of the land. He feels that Clayton Homes might be a good fit for him with a background heavy in sales & construction too. Also, my mother lives South of Richmond, VA - so that will put us a LOT closer to her, which will make those necessary trips easier for us.

Merry Christmas to all. Maybe this time next year we can encourage others too, about where we are residing as you all have. Thank you for all input on this thread/site. Wish us well?

Last edited by Babyyyblue61; 11-24-2012 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM

12,694 posts, read 7,074,031 times
Hi everyone. I have just finished my first scouting day of Johnson City and thought I'd post my thoughts in case anyone was interested.

Just as I suspected the mountains here are HUGE, much bigger than the ones we see in Maryland. But what was surprising to me is how they are only visible from certain parts of town. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

You can sure buy a lot of house for the money here, again as expected. But I was very very disappointed to see that most everything else costs about the same as it does at home. I took a trip to the grocery store and went to items I buy regularly, specifically dog food, yogurt, hamburger. It was about the same and with the additional taxes actually more expensive.

Dinner out was a bit less expensive. If you have not tried it yet the pizza place Scratch was fantastic. I got a big, really realy good pizza cooked in a wood burning oven with 4 toppings for $15. At home a smaller pizza costs around $18. Gas costs less, beer about the same.

Again as expected, the people are just great. Surprised that the southern accents are not stronger, it feels more like central VA than the south here in that regard.

This was my first half day in JC. I'm off to Jonesborough, then up to Kingsport on my way up to Roanoake VA (another possible destination).

Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM

12,363 posts, read 15,944,259 times
Love to hear what other people think about this area. Keep us updated.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,401,200 times
I'm also very interested in hearing about your trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol